Does it matter if I peel potatoes before or after cooking?

-Luke-

Is there a difference between removing the skin of potatoes before cooking and cooking them with skin and removing the skin afterwards?

The skin contains some solanine, will there be more of it left if I cook them with the skin? Or will more nutrients be retained if I cook them with the skin?

Is there a difference between removing the skin of potatoes before cooking and cooking them with skin and removing the skin afterwards?

The skin contains some solanine, will there be more of it left if I cook them with the skin? Or will more nutrients be retained if I cook them with the skin?

I would peel them. You don't want solanine water absorbing into your potatoes. You can see the solanine better peeling them raw.

Vanset

most of potato oxalates is in the skin. you lose quite a bit of zinc when u peel potatoes and increase their GI, but get rid of big chunk of anti-nutrients. i peel them. it also just doesn't seem appetizing to me to eat them with the skin.

Vanset

sorry i misread your question. i think more vitamin c is retained if you remove the peel AFTER cooking, but don't quote me on that. I suppose the overall nutrient leech into water would be less if you boiled them with the skin on, but the anti-nutrients would also be preserved more. it's better to minimize the risk than maximize the benefits IMO

sorry i misread your question. i think more vitamin c is retained if you remove the peel AFTER cooking, but don't quote me on that. I suppose the overall nutrient leech into water would be less if you boiled them with the skin on, but the anti-nutrients would also be preserved more. it's better to minimize the risk than maximize the benefits IMO

Very good points, especially the last sentence.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals