Does it have to be orange juice?

valzim

Lots of talk of orange juice. But is it the orange juice in particular that is beneficial or can we do any juice with some sugar?
For example, peach or grape or pineapple.

tankasnowgod

Lots of talk of orange juice. But is it the orange juice in particular that is beneficial or can we do any juice with some sugar?
Any of those are good as carb sources in general. OJ is common and fairly cheap, which is one thing that factors into Peat's recommendations. It may have a better Vitamin C content than some of those others you mentioned, and there are some beneficial chemicals, like naringin, in OJ. Although the others may have their own beneficial components, like bromelain in pineapple juice, for example. If you prefer the others you mentioned, or just want to use them for variety, by all means, go for it.

mrchibbs

No it doesn't. Especially not when oranges are not sweet.

That being said, it's not just about the sugar, but the many other protective compounds in fresh orange juice.

Any fresh juice is good though, where I live apple juice is most commonly a better choice than orange juice (sweeter, fresher)

PeatBull

I juice all the ripe juicable fruits when i have some. Pomegranates for example.

mostlylurking

Ray Peat specifies orange juice, organic, no pulp. If that's not available, the frozen concentrate will do. Reasons for orange juice: high in potassium which is very important and ties in (somehow) with improving your insulin situation; it has naringin and naringenin, which are aromatase inhibitors so are anti-estrogenic. Guava juice is recommended too.

mrchibbs

Ray Peat specifies orange juice, organic, no pulp. If that's not available, the frozen concentrate will do. Reasons for orange juice: high in potassium which is very important and ties in (somehow) with improving your insulin situation; it has naringin and naringenin, which are aromatase inhibitors so are anti-estrogenic. Guava juice is recommended too.

Truly sweet fresh orange juice is the best. But for me personally, it's sooooo hard to find good sweet oranges. Like it's hit or miss. I don't even know which season is ideal. I think january/febuary is best but it's unclear.

If I could find sweet oranges, I'd drink fresh juice daily, the good stuff is unbelieveable, it's like a jolt of energy.

Store-bought juice is really disappointing in comparison. But freshly-pressed juice with tart/unsweet oranges is just as bad.

Basically yeah, it's tricky as hell. I'd love to try guava juice too.

Ray Peat recommends oranges for potassium and narigenin and possibly other nutrients: b vitamins and vitamin c. But guava is a close substitute if orange juice bothers you. It contains apigenin which is a similar compound to narigenin and I think it is similar in other ways too. I drink guava juice a good amount of the time because too much orange juice makes me get hay fever symptoms. Occasionally I will drink other juices ie watermelon, apple etc. But as a regular thing it is orange or guava for me.

gaze

Ray himself drinks canned concentrate orange juice the majority of the time in america, FWIW

Dr. B

interesting, did you see peat specifically say organic and no pulp and what was the reason? i assumed organci is better but, for some reason it seemed like Peat didnt care whether milk or OJ were organic. i have personally noticed organic orange juice, even pasteurized and store bought, has a nicer sweeter taste and better flavor, whereas non organic OJ always has a sour taste to it.

CreakyJoints

interesting, did you see peat specifically say organic and no pulp and what was the reason? i assumed organci is better but, for some reason it seemed like Peat didnt care whether milk or OJ were organic. i have personally noticed organic orange juice, even pasteurized and store bought, has a nicer sweeter taste and better flavor, whereas non organic OJ always has a sour taste to it.

I seem to remember he is not a huge fan of the pulp because of concerns about excessive dietary fiber. I can't recall exactly though, it might have been something else.

michael94

I like Apple juice sometimes, the malic acid seems more appropriate at certain times compared to citric acid based orange juice ( less acidic if theyre high quality though ). Just the regular organic apple juice at trader joes ( $2.99 ). Also if you have one near you another member mentioned the Organic Orange Juice at Whole Foods being pretty good New OJ at Whole Foods Is Sweeter

mostlylurking

Ray's very big on orange juice, any of it is better than none. Even the frozen stuff has great benefit. He has said if you can get organic then do so. You would not believe all the junk they add to orange juice. He goes into explaining about the pulp in detail.

here:

rei

No, it does not. In some studies other juices offer better results for what was measured.

Rather than just favoring orange juice, i think a better approach is to favor whole juice (not from concentrate), it will be much more beneficial.

Apple

Individuals who consume more citrus fruit, especially oranges and orange juice, are at higher risk of melanoma compared to those with no consumption, according to research published in the British Journal of Dermatology. Findings suggest that consuming more than two servings of citrus a day is associated with a 63% increased risk of melanoma, relative to those with no consumption.

“Psoralen has known photosensitising and photocarcinogenic properties and is found in abundance in citrus products. This fact has spurred studies to investigate whether high citrus consumption is associated with melanoma risk due to psoralen photocarcinogenicity. This research suggests a significant increase in melanoma risk associated with a higher citrus intake and these findings could well shape sun-exposure guidance and how we approach advising patients that are already at high risk of developing melanoma.”

vetbusd

Does orange juice refer only to the juice of squeezed oranges or also orange juice from concentrate?

gaze

the thing is, nothing compares nutritionally to orange juice. like compare 4 cups of OJ to 4 cups of apple juice on cronometer. it's not even close. other fruit juices are fine but it becomes harder to get all your vitamins and such unless you make a good effort to do so