Does High Potassium Create A Sodium Deficiency

Cloudhands

Ive Ive been eating about 36 oz of potatoes anf a quart of milk a day , along with whatever random fills in between. This lands me at about 8000ish mg of potassium and i eat about 2-3g of salt a day but still feel cold on fingers and nose and toes sometimes. I wonder if my high potassium just pushes my need for higher salt?

schultz

I think if you crave salt then you might need it.

That's around what my potassium is in the winter and I don't seem to have problems with it. The only thing I add salt to is meat and starch, which I only consume at dinner for the most part. But I do put a lot of salt on my meat (just until it tastes good, but it seems like a lot).

In the summer I get 10-12g of potassium.

sweetpeat

I think if you crave salt then you might need it.

That's around what my potassium is in the winter and I don't seem to have problems with it. The only thing I add salt to is meat and starch, which I only consume at dinner for the most part. But I do put a lot of salt on my meat (just until it tastes good, but it seems like a lot).

In the summer I get 10-12g of potassium.
Wow! I'm envious. I struggle with getting enough. What do you eat (or drink?) to get that much? Potatoes, like the OP? I quickly get bored with potatoes, unfortunately. Bananas too. I get a fair amount from dairy, but still seem to come up short.

schultz

Wow! I'm envious. I struggle with getting enough. What do you eat (or drink?) to get that much? Potatoes, like the OP? I quickly get bored with potatoes, unfortunately. Bananas too. I get a fair amount from dairy, but still seem to come up short.

In the summer I eat a lot of fruit (if there is good stuff available). I tend to drink a lot more liquid too in general because I work in a shop with no air conditioning. Coconut water, milk, orange juice. But mainly I drink lattes, even in the summer. 5g of instant coffee has 177mg potassium. It's not a lot but it adds up especially with milk. 1 latte is 750mg apparently (I just checked). Potatoes of course have a lot of potassium. I only consume them once or twice a week I think. I cook rice in coconut water as well. I choose rice varieties that need more liquid for cooking. I used to get "Bomba" rice or something which need 3 cups of liquid per 1 cup of but I can't find it anymore. Now I use one that is 2 parts liquid to 1 rice. But rice is also probably only once or twice a week. So I guess mainly orange juice/fruit and lattes? I lower my juice intake as fruit comes into season and increase it when fruit is out of season.

sweetpeat

In the summer I eat a lot of fruit (if there is good stuff available). I tend to drink a lot more liquid too in general because I work in a shop with no air conditioning. Coconut water, milk, orange juice. But mainly I drink lattes, even in the summer. 5g of instant coffee has 177mg potassium. It's not a lot but it adds up especially with milk. 1 latte is 750mg apparently (I just checked). Potatoes of course have a lot of potassium. I only consume them once or twice a week I think. I cook rice in coconut water as well. I choose rice varieties that need more liquid for cooking. I used to get "Bomba" rice or something which need 3 cups of liquid per 1 cup of but I can't find it anymore. Now I use one that is 2 parts liquid to 1 rice. But rice is also probably only once or twice a week. So I guess mainly orange juice/fruit and lattes? I lower my juice intake as fruit comes into season and increase it when fruit is out of season.
That rice tip is a good one. And I could probably increase my OJ intake. I wish I had better access to good fruit. I searched all last summer for a ripe cantaloupe but they are picking them too green now. Even after sitting on my counter a couple days they are still crunchy and not very sweet :(

schultz

That rice tip is a good one. And I could probably increase my OJ intake. I wish I had better access to good fruit. I searched all last summer for a ripe cantaloupe but they are picking them too green now. Even after sitting on my counter a couple days they are still crunchy and not very sweet :(

Yah the sweet rice is yummy and the added magnesium and potassium is nice too.

Fruit does seem to be getting worse. Or maybe my standards are higher? I like this kind of cantaloupe called a "Sugar Kiss". It's freaking amazing. But I live in Canada so not sure what it's called in other areas of the world or its availability. The only cantaloupe variety I've had that has been better is one I grew myself and I think it was called "Ambrosia" or something. It was just as sweet as the Sugar Kiss but much fruitier. Some good watermelon varieties of anybody is interested are Ali Baba and Dixie Lee. I'm not worried about the carotene as I get a lot of B12 and have good thyroid function. Plus, good cantaloupe is worth it :cool

Oh and I eat 1 of those cantaloupes per day in the summer lol. And 1000g or so of watermelon if I have good ones available.

Potassium increases Natriuresis and Chloruresis,meaning increasing their presence in the urine.
But your intake of K,Na and Cl is very good and optimal.
im not a salt-fan myself anymore.

OP
Cloudhands

Cloudhands

Potassium increases Natriuresis and Chloruresis,meaning increasing their presence in the urine.
But your intake of K,Na and Cl is very good and optimal.
im not a salt-fan myself anymore.
What makes it optimal?
Would drinking coffee also increase urine salt?

What makes it optimal?
Would drinking coffee also increase urine salt?

Towards optimal Potassium:Sodium balance.
Humans are the only landanimals who consume salt this much,
and it seems to be a cultural phenomenon and not a based-on-need one

..calculations based on anthropologic findings indicate Potassium as the one dominant salt,with cosumptionrates as high as 15 to 25gr/d,
and only 1-2 gr/d for Na+Cl.

yashi

..calculations based on anthropologic findings indicate Potassium as the one dominant salt,with cosumptionrates as high as 15 to 25gr/d,
what would have been food sources to achieve that ratio?

OP
Cloudhands

Cloudhands

I looked thru ur threads and i like your information about sodium/potassium. I wanna know what other advices you may have or spickets of knowledge i may fill my cup at im im gonna try raising potassium and reducing sodium and see if it helps. Im afraid that coffee and modern day stress make me more susceptible to sodium deficiency

I looked thru ur threads and i like your information about sodium/potassium. I wanna know what other advices you may have or spickets of knowledge i may fill my cup at im im gonna try raising potassium and reducing sodium and see if it helps. Im afraid that coffee and modern day stress make me more susceptible to sodium deficiency

In my view,Sodium is immunogenic and Chlorine is a substrate for Free radicals.
what i know is in those threads i posted.the pictures and screenshots.

I believe the very high K consumption isnt easily attainable and likely doesnt have to.
I restrict Sodium to around 800mg/d,K to around 7000mg/d,coming mostly from unsalted meat,and have
less transpiration as a benefit.

Coffee has slight and transient diuretic effect,and low Salt consumption confers
safety against excessive loss through transpiration,the changed,normalized Fluid-Hormone environment causes this.
The history of optimal Renin-Angiotensin-System values and params need to be rewritten with
the evidence of social and cultural consume-causes,and the lack of physiological need,like Lewis Dahl recognized.

Salt is overrated in my opinion and a cultural artefact from the past,lingering in our present.