Does High Dose Vitamin C Increase The Body's Requirements For Magnesium (or Sodium) ?

artist

I started taking liposomal C (for allergies, help with sulfur tolerance, general benefits), about 2.5 grams a day. I remember reading back in the day that higher dose C can increase the body's need for magnesium and I'm getting some symptoms that make me think this might be happening to me. I'm having trouble turning up anything on this topic now, however. I am very, very prone to getting "low sodium" symptoms and my allergies ironically get much worse when this happens. This seems to be happening now and while I plan on doing my baking soda and vinegar routine (search my posts if you're curious) to get sodium levels back up, I wanted to check if this is even a known phenomenon or if I dreamed it up. IIRC Peat has said that sodium and magnesium are functionally often interchangeable in the body so I wonder if C putting pressure on magnesium couldn't cause the same issues for me as low sodium.

i'm not high on lipo C anymore. PUFA content.

I do think ascorbyl palmitate can do the same thing in the body. And good plain C is nice.

Not sure about your question. But have you checked thyroid temps and heart rate? You may be hypo.

OP
A

artist

I already know I'm at least slightly hypo, thyroid medication doesn't have any effect on my allergies/intolerances however. Also the main ingredient in this C supplement is ascorbyl palmitate. It's this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K8QLGHN/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_lj2yCbKG68X4B

I took plain ascorbic acid for a while 4 years ago and had the same reaction to the one I'm having now. Makes me wonder if I'm sensitive to oxalates?

Last edited:

baccheion

You could've done before/after blood tests to see if anything was being depleted. I suppose you could still do it. On some other forum, one person said zinc was the only thing off in their blood work after extended megadosing.

OP
A

artist

I've only been doing the vitamin C thing for about a week so whatever is getting depleted it's happening very fast.

I started taking liposomal C (for allergies, help with sulfur tolerance, general benefits), about 2.5 grams a day. I remember reading back in the day that higher dose C can increase the body's need for magnesium and I'm getting some symptoms that make me think this might be happening to me. I'm having trouble turning up anything on this topic now, however. I am very, very prone to getting "low sodium" symptoms and my allergies ironically get much worse when this happens. This seems to be happening now and while I plan on doing my baking soda and vinegar routine (search my posts if you're curious) to get sodium levels back up, I wanted to check if this is even a known phenomenon or if I dreamed it up. IIRC Peat has said that sodium and magnesium are functionally often interchangeable in the body so I wonder if C putting pressure on magnesium couldn't cause the same issues for me as low sodium.

High vitamin c increases my jumpiness and adrenaline, which I combat with salt. It also makes me more prone to dizziness which for me is an indicator of magnesium deficiency. So for me, it definitely increases requirement for both. Has been like this consistently for a few months too.

InChristAlone

I prefer sodium ascorbate, lypo C for emergencies. Also when I first started taking it I had side effects, now its mainly benefits.

baccheion

High vitamin c increases my jumpiness and adrenaline, which I combat with salt. It also makes me more prone to dizziness which for me is an indicator of magnesium deficiency. So for me, it definitely increases requirement for both. Has been like this consistently for a few months too.
Vitamin C is associated with increased DBH (dopamine -> norepineprhine) and acetylcholine.

baccheion

That makes sense. If I take Vitamin C before bed I have crazy adrenaline filled dreams. Anything I can do to mitigate it?
Unsure. Salt? Magnesium? The adrenal formula includes 200 mg (chelated/TRAACS) magnesium, 1/4 tsp celtic sea salt, and 2 grams vitamin C per serving.

InChristAlone

In the beginning I may have had an increase in adrenaline, but I am very familiar with adrenaline and being on it for 2 yrs has not increased my adrenaline any more than a can of coke would. In fact I am more calm these days than I used to be.

Unsure. Salt? Magnesium? The adrenal formula includes 200 mg (chelated/TRAACS) magnesium, 1/4 tsp celtic sea salt, and 2 grams vitamin C per serving.

Yeah. That's what helps me out for sure. I've learned this throughout the months through experience.

OP
A

artist

Okay well I'm glad it's not just me. I was pretty disappointed to have my allergies get so much worse from something that was supposed to help, but I can just feel the need for salt throughout my whole body so I suspect it's as simple as that. I'm gonna try doing just 700mg with 400 mg of magnesium at the same time and see if that works better.

mostlylurking

Liposomal = PUFA. PUFA really throws a wrench in cellular function. I took liposomal C for a couple of months fall of 2014 and I got a full blown case of rheumatoid arthritis along with extreme hypothyroidism. It took a year to recover. Dr. Peat has said that all the supplement C on the market today is contaminated with lead because of the way it is made now, even the "pure" laboratory grade C proved to be contaminated with lead when tested. Get your C from orange juice. As a bonus, the sugar in it will lower your adrenaline and cortisol.

InChristAlone

Liposomal = PUFA. PUFA really throws a wrench in cellular function. I took liposomal C for a couple of months fall of 2014 and I got a full blown case of rheumatoid arthritis along with extreme hypothyroidism. It took a year to recover. Dr. Peat has said that all the supplement C on the market today is contaminated with lead because of the way it is made now, even the "pure" laboratory grade C proved to be contaminated with lead when tested. Get your C from orange juice. As a bonus, the sugar in it will lower your adrenaline and cortisol.
I got my C exclusively from OJ and dairy for a long time. I was still unwell. Lead contamination is practically everywhere. Chocolate probably has more than ascorbic acid.

OP
A

artist

I used to drink a lot of orange juice and all I really got for my trouble was a lot of gumline cavities lol. But thank you for sharing your experience. I feel like the amount of PUFA in liposomal C can't be more than the incidental amounts I get from my non-coconut fat sources anyway so I find it surprising that it would cause so much havoc. Rheumatoid arthritis is quite a serious and terrible reaction, it's amazing to find that something of that scale could be triggered by supplements - keeps things in perspective! I'm glad you were able to eventually recover.

BigChad

Quali c vitamin c is supposedly safer, and made the same way in scotland since the 1930s?

Peater Piper

I prefer sodium ascorbate, lypo C for emergencies. Also when I first started taking it I had side effects, now its mainly benefits.
I think I do better with sodium ascorbate compared to ascorbic acid. I just mix baking soda with ascorbic acid powder until there's very little tartness (but not to the point that it gets salty). I think the acid load of ascorbic acid can be problematic at higher doses.

Frankdee20

I think I do better with sodium ascorbate compared to ascorbic acid. I just mix baking soda with ascorbic acid powder until there's very little tartness (but not to the point that it gets salty). I think the acid load of ascorbic acid can be problematic at higher doses.

Sodium ascorbate is awesome