Does Having A Higher Metabolism Mean Your More Intolerant To Hot Weather?

yoshiesque

the title sums it up nicely. just curious.

i have a low metabolism - prob only need to eat around 1300-1800cals/day, but ive always struggled more than others in the heat. esp when the weather is like 30 degrees celius.

so just wondering if higher metabolism will make u MORE intolerant to heat, since you have a HIGHER body temp.

pboy

it goes both ways...if your skin can breath is the main thing (lack of PUFA). When I was a vegan 3-4 years back and undernourished, I had to have hot weather because my internal temp was so low I was cold even in 60 degree weather. But now I can handle any weather hot or cold, so I think a good metabolism actually regulates itself well, youll just perspire more when its hot to stay cool...I think skin being able to breath is the main thing

aguilaroja

yoshiesque said:
i have a low metabolism ... but ive always struggled more than others in the heat. esp when the weather is like 30 degrees celius.

so just wondering if higher metabolism will make u MORE intolerant to heat, since you have a HIGHER body temp.

No, not generally. Hypothyroid function can result in heat intolerance, not just cold intolerance. This is less well known (than the stereotype) but fairly common. Not every person will low thyroid function will have both. Things depend on the person's compensation for low thyroid.

For instance, with heat intolerance, a low thyroid people may sweat less. When metabolism improves, the same person will perspire more and stay cooler. With better metabolism, there is usually more resilience to both heat and cold.

DaveFoster

Think about this:

Kids fanning themselves.

OR

The elderly fanning themselves.

Men fanning themselves.

OR

Women fanning themselves.

Just a thought experiment.

Peata

In years before peating, I didn't sweat much at all, and I could barely tolerate heat, yet I would have to cover up more than others too or feel "cold".

A couple years of peating, and I didn't get the weird chill so much, but I couldn't stand the heat either, it was miserable. I had breathing issues in the heat too.

Now, I feel my metabolism has (finally) improved. I am way more heat tolerant than I was last year. I was dreading this summer because of how bad it affected me the last couple years. Now I sweat easily, and I think it helps keep me cooler. I'm not having the breathing issues I did in the heat either. I drink water to stay hydrated when I'm outside all day.

Koveras

Hyperthyroidism/high metabolism doesn't tend to cause as much issues with heat intolerance at rest as it does during exercise

revenant

Digging stuff up from the archives...

After eating Peaty for about a year I've raised my temperature so that it's often around 37 Celsius, whereas it used to be around 36.4 Celsius for most of my life. After years and years of low carb and fasting etc. I take this as a sign that metabolism is improving somewhat.

However, with higher body temperature I seem to be sweating much more easily than before. Has anyone else experience the same? I don't know if this is "heat intolerance" or if sweating means I'm actually more tolerant, but it's not very pleasant to be sweating profusely in the summer just by walking outside.

Dr. B

Digging stuff up from the archives...

After eating Peaty for about a year I've raised my temperature so that it's often around 37 Celsius, whereas it used to be around 36.4 Celsius for most of my life. After years and years of low carb and fasting etc. I take this as a sign that metabolism is improving somewhat.

However, with higher body temperature I seem to be sweating much more easily than before. Has anyone else experience the same? I don't know if this is "heat intolerance" or if sweating means I'm actually more tolerant, but it's not very pleasant to be sweating profusely in the summer just by walking outside.

when I had a faster metabolism I would also sweat very easily from walking outside in the summer as well as when exercising at the gym.