Does Gelatin Preserve / Grow Muscle?

Dobbler

Okay so im extremely lazy and unmotivated and not hungry at all when i wake up so my breakfast is usually 1 liter of OJ and 60g of gelatin and coffee. That gelatin is about 50g of protein and i go several hours without any muscle meats or other animal protein after that and im worried that its not enough to recover from possible last days gym training . My daily total protein is about 140g .

paymanz

Gelatine doesnt stimulate muscle growth like other complete protein sources(egg,meat,milk).

But it protects you from losing muscles.

But i think you getting enough of those complete proteins.

Gelatin's not going to stimulate protein synthesis, so it might be a waste to consume it without more anabolic proteins.

Palpatine

Gelatin's not going to stimulate protein synthesis, so it might be a waste to consume it without more anabolic proteins.
I typically consume my Gelatin in the am in my coffee (sugar and heavy cream also)... but don't eat any complete proteins until the afternoon when I have my first real meal. Are you saying that is a waste in your opinion?

mt_dreams

as long as you're getting enough complete proteins in a day I wouldn't overthink eating just gelatin in the early portions of the day. there have been studies that have shown adequate protein in a day is more important than protein timing when it comes to muscle repair. the studies were done with people eating most of the protein at night, so eating gelatin early on will probably have the same effect, while providing your body aminos to do other bodily requirements. i don't have the studies.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Gelatine doesnt stimulate muscle growth

I disagree, see this below.
Glycine Is Directly Anabolic AND Anticatabolic For The Muscle

It will stimulate protein synthesis but because it is not a proteinogenic amino acid itself (i.e. it does not participate as a raw material in actual muscle tissue) you need to eat protein containing the essential amino acids (minus tryptophan, which is not really needed for muscles) in order to actual build the muscle. So, glycine is basically acting like an anabolic steroid - prevents muscle catabolism and increases anabolism but without raw materials may not have much of a beneficial effect except possibly slowing down muscle loss.

haidut

Forum Supporter

Disagree, see the comment above this one for more info.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Okay so im extremely lazy and unmotivated and not hungry at all when i wake up so my breakfast is usually 1 liter of OJ and 60g of gelatin and coffee. That gelatin is about 50g of protein and i go several hours without any muscle meats or other animal protein after that and im worried that its not enough to recover from possible last days gym training . My daily total protein is about 140g .

As long as you consume another 20g-30g of protein that contains all the essential amino acids you should be fine. Gelatin/glycine is actually very good for muscle building but is more of a catalyst than raw material. See my responses above this comment for more info.

OP
D

Dobbler

As long as you consume another 20g-30g of protein that contains all the essential amino acids you should be fine. Gelatin/glycine is actually very good for muscle building but is more of a catalyst than raw material. See my responses above this comment for more info.
Sorry if im being stupid but do you mean later that day or at same meal?

I typically consume my Gelatin in the am in my coffee (sugar and heavy cream also)... but don't eat any complete proteins until the afternoon when I have my first real meal. Are you saying that is a waste in your opinion?
If you are looking for anabolism in the morning, then yes I think that would be a waste. It would be more efficient to use it with a more balanced protein. Gelatin is very unbalanced. That being said, if you enjoy it in the morning then there is no direct harm in it. Besides, we all know you could use some extra gelatin to repair that facial scarring Palpitine.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Sorry if im being stupid but do you mean later that day or at same meal?

I meant total daily dose, but taking it with the aminos may make it more anabolic.