Does Gelatin Need To Set Before Consumed?

lyfe

I am brand new to gelatin. Does it need to be made into jello before its consumed? Can I just mix the powder with water and drink it? Thats how I would prefer to do it. Thanks in advance!

tankasnowgod

I am brand new to gelatin. Does it need to be made into jello before its consumed? Can I just mix the powder with water and drink it? Thats how I would prefer to do it. Thanks in advance!

Sure, I've done that. Just give it adequate time to dissolve and soak up enough water before eating.

Jessie

Yeah that fine, probably won't taste to pleasant though.

I usually mix it with cooked fruits, or I make a drink out of coffee, milk, sugar, vanilla, and gelatin.

SOMO

By allowing the gelatin to absorb a maximum water content, the proteins are denatured slightly and one would expect more individual amino acids to be absorbed, versus whole protein - and a mainstream belief is that proteins in their whole form can not be absorbed.

I would certainly try both routes - drink quickly some of the time before the gel swells, and other times, when you’re feeling patient let the proteid become engorged with fluid and thereafter consume.

OP
lyfe

lyfe

Thanks for the suggestions! I am now taking it both ways :):

ilovecows

That's my prefered way too only I stir my gelatin through milk (250ml or more depending on how much of a serving of gelatin I'm having) for maybe 30~ seconds and drink it. I'll sometimes have 60g at once and I've yet to have any digestive issues like I've seen some people report. I have wondered myself whether or not it is absorbed properly if it's not dissolved/bloomed first. Drinking slightly sandy milk isn't so bad, and if it does manage to set or clump a little at the bottom of the glass because it is practically tasteless i don't mine chomping on it. :happy:

OP
lyfe

lyfe

That's my prefered way too only I stir my gelatin through milk (250ml or more depending on how much of a serving of gelatin I'm having) for maybe 30~ seconds and drink it. I'll sometimes have 60g at once and I've yet to have any digestive issues like I've seen some people report. I have wondered myself whether or not it is absorbed properly if it's not dissolved/bloomed first. Drinking slightly sandy milk isn't so bad, and if it does manage to set or clump a little at the bottom of the glass because it is practically tasteless i don't mine chomping on it. :happy:

It tastes the best through milk! Ive been doing this the past few nights and I really like. A while back I actually came up with a whole milk gelatin recipe. Its really the only way I like gelatin that has set. I recently posted this recipe in the recipes section but I figured Id share it here as well. It tastes amazing.

I've been toying around with gelatin trying to find a recipe that masks the taste of it. Although I don't find the taste of gelatin repulsive, it definitely isn't "good." I wanted to try to make a recipe that resembled creme brulee and this is what I came up with. It tastes best about 20 minutes after the gelatin starts to initially set. If you let the gelatin fully set, the flavor will not be as good, nor will the texture. You want it to have a creme brulee texture, not a gummy bear texture. Anyhow, here is the recipe. You can use more gelatin but bear in mind that the flavor will be much stronger and you might need more sugar to mask it.

INGREDIENTS

1 & 1/2 cups whole milk
1 or 2 tablespoons white sugar ( I prefer 2 )
1 or 2 packets of gelatin. This comes out to either 7 or 14 grams. I prefer 1 packet.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Begin by measuring out 1/2 cup of whole milk. Place it in a container and sprinkle your packet(s) of gelatin evenly over the milk, allowing it to bloom.

2. While the gelatin is blooming, bring the remaining cup of whole milk close to a boil. Keep an eye on this and stir occasionally.

3. Place your sugar in the blooming mixture, along with the vanilla and whisk until it is dissolved.

4. When your milk is heated enough, pour it over the rest of your ingredients and whisk vigorously for at least 1-2 minutes, insuring the gelatin fully dissolves.

Place your finished product in the refrigerator and allow it to slightly set. The end product will taste like creme brulee and is absolutely delicious. This is one of the only ways I truly enjoy gelatin. You can use low fat, 1-2 % milk as well but it will not taste as good. I love to eat this prior to sleeping.

ENJOY!

Doc Sandoz

1/2 - 1 C Passionfruit juice. Stir in your dose, 1-2 T, of gelatin (Great Lakes Collagen Hydrosylate has tons of glycine). Add sparkling water such as Perrier or Lacroix, lime flavoured does nicely. Stir again, it will foam up so watch out. Top off with more sparkling water. The process dissolves all the gelatin which becoms utterly undetectable except the solution is somewhat thickened, like beer, which is why it generates a nice head. Ray says Passionfruit juice has some GHB in it, and this drink does seem rather calming. Bon appetit!

Last edited:

milk_lover

It tastes the best through milk! Ive been doing this the past few nights and I really like. A while back I actually came up with a whole milk gelatin recipe. Its really the only way I like gelatin that has set. I recently posted this recipe in the recipes section but I figured Id share it here as well. It tastes amazing.

I've been toying around with gelatin trying to find a recipe that masks the taste of it. Although I don't find the taste of gelatin repulsive, it definitely isn't "good." I wanted to try to make a recipe that resembled creme brulee and this is what I came up with. It tastes best about 20 minutes after the gelatin starts to initially set. If you let the gelatin fully set, the flavor will not be as good, nor will the texture. You want it to have a creme brulee texture, not a gummy bear texture. Anyhow, here is the recipe. You can use more gelatin but bear in mind that the flavor will be much stronger and you might need more sugar to mask it.

INGREDIENTS

1 & 1/2 cups whole milk
1 or 2 tablespoons white sugar ( I prefer 2 )
1 or 2 packets of gelatin. This comes out to either 7 or 14 grams. I prefer 1 packet.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Begin by measuring out 1/2 cup of whole milk. Place it in a container and sprinkle your packet(s) of gelatin evenly over the milk, allowing it to bloom.

2. While the gelatin is blooming, bring the remaining cup of whole milk close to a boil. Keep an eye on this and stir occasionally.

3. Place your sugar in the blooming mixture, along with the vanilla and whisk until it is dissolved.

4. When your milk is heated enough, pour it over the rest of your ingredients and whisk vigorously for at least 1-2 minutes, insuring the gelatin fully dissolves.

Place your finished product in the refrigerator and allow it to slightly set. The end product will taste like creme brulee and is absolutely delicious. This is one of the only ways I truly enjoy gelatin. You can use low fat, 1-2 % milk as well but it will not taste as good. I love to eat this prior to sleeping.

ENJOY!
This is similar to the Italian Panna Cotta. I do a similar thing but with full creme instead of milk and it tastes amazing. I don't like to drink the gelatin.. When it becomes food, I seem to tolerate it the best.