Does Gelatin HAVE To Be In Hot Water/heat?

Steve123

I've been consuming it with orange juice and find it kind of dissolves into it..

Is that okay or does it have to be heated?

Not sure if the green can collagen makes me really flush etc..

Arnold Grape

Pretty sure it says on the can that you can mix it in cold beverages - I was wondering if you can just bolt a shot of it in your mouth and wash it down with water? Or whatever. Sometimes I find myself doing that

dudinator

For me, it's imperative that I properly dissolve gelatin. Cold liquid first for a few minutes, then mixed with warm/hot liquid. If I don't do this, it goes from being a literal superfood for my worse than a 90 yr alcoholics belly, to pure pain. I dunno if allowing it to set after is important as far as digestion goes, but I know that the gelling helps protect my teeth from all the sugar.

I find the funnest part of the Ray Peat diet is the logistics that go into optimizing this stuff. Even then, it's a much tastier and fulfilling diet than the majority of diets out there.

Light

Pretty sure it says on the can that you can mix it in cold beverages - I was wondering if you can just bolt a shot of it in your mouth and wash it down with water? Or whatever. Sometimes I find myself doing that
In the last podsast with Danny Roddy, haidut said he used to swallow gelatin in powder form and it went through undigested.

The best way to dissolve it is at room temperature liquid - like tap water,
if it's too cold it won't dessolve well and clump up,
if it's too hot than it becomes gooey and sticky and hard to deal with.

You can dissolve it in very little water, and after a few minutes add it to whatever you like without any trouble.

ANDREW CHIN

I've been consuming it with orange juice and find it kind of dissolves into it..

Is that okay or does it have to be heated?

Not sure if the green can collagen makes me really flush etc..

According to Kate Deering, it's the Knox Gelatin (unhydrolyzed, porcine) and Beef Gelatin (unhydrolyzed) that need to be heated in order for the powder and liquid to mix thoroughly. It sounds like you might be using the Great Lakes Collagen Hydrolysate in the green can - this kind of gelatin does not need to be mixed with heated liquid.

As Light stated above, you might find that it mixes better with room temperature liquid, though. Maybe you can try mixing the gelatin with room temperature OJ, either by heating it very briefly on the range or allowing the cold OJ to reach room temperature naturally.

The only benefit I can see with using heated liquid is if you are the type of person who absorbs warmed liquid more efficiently.