Does Following A Peat-inspired Diet/" Make One Orthorexic?

People in general can attribute any one specific diet or food restrictions/limitations/pickiness as orthorexic on some level -- especially considering a lot of us here who have fallen ill and use diet as a strong point in overall recovery. I mean we here tend to be more focused/preoccupied on health than lots of people.

To what extent are we here orthorexic for "Peating" and such? At the same time some feel that they're not so restricted to certain foods and more free in their diet or "loose" we still often tend to limit/eliminate PUFA, soy, gums, gluten, muscle meat, and so on here. Are we really fooling ourselves for not thinking we are or are at least generally considered orthorexic in some way? PUFA and soy and tons of anti-Peat stuff is found anywhere and everywhere with ease and most people eat it with out too much consideration/worry of implications/focusing more on things/etc.

It seems we here -- in some ways -- are the "weird" ones overall. :geek: I mean if not orthorexic many of us could be called hypochondriac-esque or the like.

Noodlz2

I suppose so if orthorexic simply means that you pay attention to what you eat. That doesn't sound like a problem though.

Arnold Grape

OP has answered his own question, but if the recommendation is to eat high calcium via milk or cheese but 95% off what is sold is stores is not regarded as edible, then yes of course you are going to get in your head about things. That’s not even getting started about starch or vegetables.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Not for most people. The doctor who originally coined the term orthorexia has said that the word has morphed into something he never actually intended. If a person feels they are becoming too restrictive and wish to loosen up with their self imposed rules around food I can completely respect that though. People eat such vastly different diets that it’s nearly impossible to label someone else as orthorexic. Generally I believe only the individual by self reflection can decide if how they are eating is harmful to them or not.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Do you go out to restaurants with family or friends? This is a paradigmatic example of what I am talking about: you cannot tell me that you go out to eat in even a metropolitan area with lots of venues or choices and let your friends choose the restaurant and find something to eat there.
Yes. I usually eat steak or some other grilled meat and from there it just depends on what’s available. I’ve been known to get things like baked potatoes with real butter or cottage cheese. I’m pretty restricted to where I can eat due to celiac so I guess that makes me orthorexic by default.

Dobbler

Mainstream medicine wants to label you as orthorexic so you feel abnormal and eventually crumble under their pressure and start eating their s*itty foods again. Same goes to other diagnoses, they just want to sell their pills and make you a sheep. Once you are enlightened it's so obvious how toxic all their systems are.

Arnold Grape

Mainstream medicine wants to label you as orthorexic so you feel abnormal and eventually crumble under their pressure and start eating their s*itty foods again. Same goes to other diagnoses, they just want to sell their pills and make you a sheep. Once you are enlightened it's so obvious how toxic all their systems are.
Is that actually true? This diet advocates plenty of foods which are regarded as bad or toxic by mainstream standards. There are also plenty of people here that blindly move on the advice of one person.

I would actually like to hear Peat comment about orthorexia, though.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
There’s a fine line between making the best choices for yourself based on what you believe is true about nutrition and obsessing to the point you can’t enjoy life. One of the bigger mistakes I’ve made was believing I was orthorexic because I couldn’t eat like most people around me. I tried to eat more of a standard american diet (but minimizing pufa) to make my life, family and social interactions easier but all it did was dramatically impact my health for the worse. It would be interesting to hear peat’s perspective.

gaze

its simple. If food restriction due to fear of toxins is making you weak, lightheaded, poor sleep, high stress hormones, undereating calories, over exercising, binge eating, constant detoxing. Then yes, you are orthorexic and may need to look at yourself in the mirror and reevaluate. If food restriction of chemicals and poor quality food is making you feel better, more energy, better sex drive, 8 hours of sleep uninterrupted, good overall mood, then no, you do not have orthorexia, even if it means you don't eat at the absolute crap show that is American restaurants. If anyone says your orthorexic for eating sugar saturated fat and meat, all the things everyone is scared of, then so be it. they don't understand what they're missing out on and can go on blindly eating soybean oil fries while being "social". Not eating enough calories seems to be the biggest problem overall with regards to orthorexia. Pretty much anyone on any diet will feel in decent health eating enough food. So whatever diets one following, if not enough calories are being eaten due to a certain fear, then yes, that's a problem, but it doesn't have anything to with eating peaty its mainly a problem for anyone who realizes how shitty the food quality is in America and eats way too little of the good food

Last edited:

sunraiser

Not specifically Peat but I have found such restrictive ideas can create a degree of neuroticism.

The biggest anti health issue in regard to Peat is calorie intake, for me. It should be based on appetite and nothing else in my experience.

Also, sometimes eating way less than 3k calories is just what the body needs. It took me a long time to get over the idea of needing to eat some magical arbitrary amount, but that's partly because of gym.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals