Does Famotadine Work As Well As Cyproheptadine?

InSearchOf

I have high histamine/ gastritis and cannot sleep more than a couple of hours.
I think I need B1 but it causes high histamine, as does most recommendations here.
Orange Juice/ Milk (I can do half and half or cream), sugar, gelatin, coffee, aspirin, etc.
I think the only way I can get through this is to do a H2 antagonist, but my Dr will not prescribe Cypro, she tells me to use over the counter stuff.
I tried Famotadine(10 mg) but it did not help much.
Do I just need more?
Also, what is healing that also does not cause the histamine/adrenaline rise?

Jessie

Dosage is a little weak, most studies posted on here involving famotadine used between 20-40mgs I think.

I think famotadine works on a slightly different pathway then cypro, been awhile since I've used it. You could try benadryl as well, between 25-75mgs. Anything over 100 and benadryl will elicit paradoxical effects (pro-serotonin).

You can order cypro if your doc won't prescribe it to you. Plenty of foreign pharmacies will sell it, only problem is it'll take like 40-60 days to arrive. International shipping is s**t slow.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
I take 20mg of famotadine at night and it is helpful for the gastritis. I've learned not to take B vitamins in the evening - always in the morning for me.

OP
I

InSearchOf

Thanks. I did take the Thiamine at lunch because I wanted a larger meal to buffer the HCL. I will have to try a bigger breakfast. I am not hungry in the mornings at all.
I upped my dosage of famotadine to 20 mg and took melatonin and sleep better. The dosage on the box says only take 2 tablets in 24 hrs (I have the 10 mg ones). Maybe I can do a little more on bad days.
I also lowered Thiamin to 75 mg from 150 mg. I am trying to split 300 mg tablets.
Also, I think I was trying too many high histamine foods, so I am going to avoid the OJ and gelatin for a bit.

JudiBlueHen

Forum Supporter
Yes, I love OJ but it makes me cough even more than usual. I've switched to apple juice, though probably not as nutritious, because it agrees with me.

I'll have to try melatonin again - must find the very smallest dose. The 3mg (I think) dose made my insomnia worse.

BearWithMe

Have no hard data to back it up, but based on my feelings, famotidine is nowhere near as powerful as cypro.

Also, it is hard (and expensive) to get famotidine now because people are buying it for covid.

GAF

Have no hard data to back it up, but based on my feelings, famotidine is nowhere near as powerful as cypro.

Also, it is hard (and expensive) to get famotidine now because people are buying it for covid.

JanP - it is cheap at walmart. 5 cents per 20mg pill. only bad thing is that famotidine has talc but nothing works as well for acid at nite.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-M...r-Famotidine-Tablets-20-mg-200-Count/24360533

547d81c3-cb2d-4d64-8bbf-aabdaccf3bd9_1.dfa4c927c0f264132050ee11fd6dfd1b.jpeg

Arnold Grape

Unisom Sleep tabs (Doxylamine Succinate) is compatible to Cypro. One person on this forum prefers this to Cypro, but I’m uncertain of the longer term effects. If you’re going low dose, I would just buy Cypro elsewhere because the cost is so low.

BrianF

I have high histamine/ gastritis and cannot sleep more than a couple of hours.
I think I need B1 but it causes high histamine, as does most recommendations here.
Orange Juice/ Milk (I can do half and half or cream), sugar, gelatin, coffee, aspirin, etc.
I think the only way I can get through this is to do a H2 antagonist, but my Dr will not prescribe Cypro, she tells me to use over the counter stuff.
I tried Famotadine(10 mg) but it did not help much.
Do I just need more?
Also, what is healing that also does not cause the histamine/adrenaline rise?

You might try loratidine, which can be bought over the counter. Its the next generation after Cyproheptadine (which i believe was a first generation anti-histamine) and I always used that instead of cypro, because its cheaper, more available and I get less of the side effects such as next day drowsiness from loratidine. The internet assures me that it is still an effective serotonin antagonist.

You might try loratidine, which can be bought over the counter. Its the next generation after Cyproheptadine (which i believe was a first generation anti-histamine) and I always used that instead of cypro, because its cheaper, more available and I get less of the side effects such as next day drowsiness from loratidine. The internet assures me that it is still an effective serotonin antagonist.

I doubt this is as safe.