Does dietary cholesterol intake increase it ?

Frankdee20

One egg has 270MG of cholesterol, but my total cholesterol is 235.... I eat the eggs for the choline and liver health .... Does dietary cholesterol increase it overall ?

cupofcoffee

i think that dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood cholesterol levels, which are more heavily controlled by things such as liver function, cortisol levels and thyroid health. At least that's what bro-science told me.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

i think that dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood cholesterol levels, which are more heavily controlled by things such as liver function, cortisol levels and thyroid health. At least that's what bro-science told me.
No doubt, I am aware ... Only thing left for me to try is Thyroid... But debating NDT or just T4/T3 combo ...

baccheion

B vitamins (eg, B2 and B4) and other nutrients clear/normalize. Fiber also.

What were the other results, as they are more important? LDL, HDL, VLDL, sdLDL, triglycerides, HbA1c, hs-CRP, TSH, T4, T3, and most importantly oxLDL? Ever checked for arterial plaque or calcification?

gaze

i thinks eggs can raise cholestrol. but it may not be from the cholestrol. i think the vitamin A and Pufa play a big role, especially if eating more than 1-2 a day. not that it's a bad thing, but a persons history and goals have to be taken into consideration

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

B vitamins (eg, B2 and B4) and other nutrients clear/normalize. Fiber also.

What were the other results, as they are more important? LDL, HDL, VLDL, sdLDL, triglycerides, HbA1c, hs-CRP, TSH, T4, T3, and most importantly oxLDL? Ever checked for arterial plaque or calcification?
Triglycerides have been 457 and sky high for five years, never checked for plaque .... TSH has been low to mid ones for last few years.... T4 and T3 have all been in range ... Testosterone has remained at 460 last few years

Ania

I have been eating 3-4 eggs daily for the last 3,5 years. My total cholesterol is 164. The whole lipid panel seems perfect.

Mito

One egg has 270MG of cholesterol, but my total cholesterol is 235.... I eat the eggs for the choline and liver health .... Does dietary cholesterol increase it overall ?

baccheion

Triglycerides have been 457 and sky high for five years, never checked for plaque .... TSH has been low to mid ones for last few years.... T4 and T3 have all been in range ... Testosterone has remained at 460 last few years
Have you ever looked into genetic testing? Know your apoE version? Maybe you are apoE 2, unless you are clear why they are high.

Vanset

It does, and I view it as a good thing. Minimal amount of animal products needed to raise cholesterol for better functioning and downstream steroid hormone production. Three eggs a day is roughly 20g of fat so it's a good investition. Minimal interruption of glucose oxidation, yet increased total cholesterol and ldl. Eggs are also delicious. I think the key is eating the yolks raw (they go well with rice).

A Dose-Response Study of the Effects of Dietary Cholesterol on Fasting and Postprandial Lipid and Lipoprotein Metabolism in Healthy Young Men​

Despite many previous studies, controversy remains concerning the effects of dietary cholesterol on plasma cholesterol concentrations. In addition, the focus of previous studies has been fasting lipid and lipoprotein concentrations; there are no published studies with postprandial measurements. We studied the effects of four levels of dietary cholesterol intake on fasting lipid, lipoprotein, and apoprotein levels, as well as postprandial lipid levels, in a group of young, healthy men who were otherwise eating a low-fat, American Heart Association step 1 diet. Twenty young, healthy men completed a randomized, four-way crossover design study to test the effects of an American Heart Association step 1 diet containing 0, 1, 2, or 4 eggs per day. Dietary cholesterol ranged from 128 to 858 mg cholesterol per day. Each diet was eaten for 8 weeks, with a break between diets. Three fasting blood samples were obtained at the end of each diet period. In addition, blood samples were obtained just before and 2, 4, and 6 hours after ingestion of a standard lunch containing the various amounts of egg cholesterol. We also obtained blood 4 and 8 hours after the subjects ingested a standard, high-fat formula. Fasting plasma total cholesterol concentrations increased by 1.47 mg/dL (0.038 mmol/L) for every 100 mg dietary cholesterol added to the diet (P <.001). Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol increased in parallel. Responsiveness varied but appeared to be normally distributed. Fasting plasma apoprotein B concentrations increased approximately 10% between the 0- and 4-egg diets and were correlated with changes in total and LDL cholesterol concentrations. Although there was a trend toward a greater response in men with an apoprotein E4 allele, this was not statistically significant. Fasting plasma cholesteryl ester transfer protein levels were higher only on the 4-egg diet, and changes in cholesteryl ester transfer protein levels between the 0- and 4-egg diets correlated with changes in total and LDL cholesterol. There were no differences in the postlunch or post-fat-formula responses of plasma lipids across the diets. Incubation of the 4-hour postlunch serum with J774 macrophages did not affect cell cholesteryl ester content at any level of dietary cholesterol. Cellular free cholesterol levels were slightly higher on each of the egg-containing diets versus the 0-egg diet. In summary, increases in dietary cholesterol resulted in linear increases in fasting total and LDL cholesterol in young, healthy men. The increases were less than expected based on previous studies, and this may have been due to the low saturated fat content of the background diet and/or the young age of the study group. Dietary cholesterol had no effect on postprandial plasma lipids either in response to the varying doses of cholesterol or after a standard high-fat meal. Increasing dietary cholesterol did not appear to result in an increased atherogenic potential of postprandial serum, as assessed by effects on cultured macrophages.

Attachments

• 1lole.png
    1lole.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 2lole.png
    2lole.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 3lole.png
    3lole.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 41

Vanset

mamakitty

Same thing for women.

So, people with high total and ldl cholesterol should not eat food with cholesterol like eggs and shrimps?

Vanset

So, people with high total and ldl cholesterol should not eat food with cholesterol like eggs and shrimps?
if i were to lower my cholesterol level independently of my thyroid function i'd lower my fat intake/cholesterol intake and include some form of soluble fiber in my diet, like one serving of black beans or oatmeal.

if you're overweight your lipids will improve when you lose weight, which i would do via a small caloric deficit of say 100-200 kcal and upping my protein intake and lowering fat.

you can have very good thyroid function, but if your daily diet consists of two whole coconuts your cholesterol will be elevated. period. that's just my opinion tho.

mamakitty

if i were to lower my cholesterol level independently of my thyroid function i'd lower my fat intake/cholesterol intake and include some form of soluble fiber in my diet, like one serving of black beans or oatmeal.

if you're overweight your lipids will improve when you lose weight, which i would do via a small caloric deficit of say 100-200 kcal and upping my protein intake and lowering fat.

you can have very good thyroid function, but if your daily diet consists of two whole coconuts your cholesterol will be elevated. period. that's just my opinion tho.
Thank you very much!

Yeah, it does seem that fat increases cholesterol so I have transitioned to a lower fat diet. I actually upped my fruits and juice to replace fat. However, I recently read a quote from Ray saying replacing starch with fruit and juice and sugar will increase cholesterol. So now I’m so confused :(

And yes, I’m technically obese, but small deficits are not making a dent in my weight :(

I’ll be adding a serving of well cooked oatmeal now. Really hoping I don’t get pushed down the statins route.

Mito

Really hoping I don’t get pushed down the statins route.

Show Notes for “What to Do About High Cholesterol”​

In this episode, you will find all of the following and more:​

00:33 Cliff notes
09:22 Targeting the low-hanging fruit
11:50 The total-to-HDL-C ratio as a fingerprint of low LDL receptor activity
13:20 Other markers such as particle size, particle count, and ApoB as fingerprints of low LDL receptor activity
16:30 The four factors that control the LDL receptor
18:50 Intracellular free cholesterol (effects of dietary fiber, cholestyramine, statins, and polyunsaturated fatty acids or PUFAs)
20:37 Thyroid hormone (effects of micronutrients, body fat, and carbohydrate intake)
23:50 Insulin (via PCSK9, effects of the fasting-feeding cycle and carbohydrate intake)
27:00 Inflammation (via PCSK9, effects of acute infection and chronic inflammation)
29:15 Practical approaches to maximizing LDL receptor activity
29:22 Nutrient-dense whole food diets
34:00 Thyroid disorder
37:15 Adrenal stress, circadian stress, inflammatory stress
39:05 Insulin resistance, body composition, and fatty liver disease
42:00 Weight loss will improve insulin sensitivity, and for many a low-carb diet is a tool to achieve that, but in an insulin-sensitive person, carbohydrate stimulation of insulin has a powerful beneficial effect on LDL receptor activity
46:20 Inflammation and PCSK9
47:00 C-Reactive Protein levels, body composition, diet quality, and exercise
49:25 Replacing fat with carbohydrate

Vanset

Thank you very much!

Yeah, it does seem that fat increases cholesterol so I have transitioned to a lower fat diet. I actually upped my fruits and juice to replace fat. However, I recently read a quote from Ray saying replacing starch with fruit and juice and sugar will increase cholesterol. So now I’m so confused :(

And yes, I’m technically obese, but small deficits are not making a dent in my weight :(

I’ll be adding a serving of well cooked oatmeal now. Really hoping I don’t get pushed down the statins route.
from the evidence i have seen dietary sugar will only lead to increase in liver cholesterol in amounts of around 100g of fructose and higher. that is a shitload of sugar so i don't think you have to worry although i would personally focus an approach of starch+low/very low fat.

someone more knowledgable chimed in. i would definitely listen to that masterjohn podcast. good luck

mamakitty

from the evidence i have seen dietary sugar will only lead to increase in liver cholesterol in amounts of around 100g of fructose and higher. that is a shitload of sugar so i don't think you have to worry although i would personally focus an approach of starch+low/very low fat.

someone more knowledgable chimed in. i would definitely listen to that masterjohn podcast. good luck
Oh really? Thanks for this info!

I definitely don’t eat that much sugar. I’m indeed going for a starch + low fat approach. I’m unable to do very low fat because it tastes gross to me and I don’t eat at all till I binge on junk. So in order to avoid binging, I have to have some, albeit low, fat.

mamakitty

Show Notes for “What to Do About High Cholesterol”​

In this episode, you will find all of the following and more:​

00:33 Cliff notes
09:22 Targeting the low-hanging fruit
11:50 The total-to-HDL-C ratio as a fingerprint of low LDL receptor activity
13:20 Other markers such as particle size, particle count, and ApoB as fingerprints of low LDL receptor activity
16:30 The four factors that control the LDL receptor
18:50 Intracellular free cholesterol (effects of dietary fiber, cholestyramine, statins, and polyunsaturated fatty acids or PUFAs)
20:37 Thyroid hormone (effects of micronutrients, body fat, and carbohydrate intake)
23:50 Insulin (via PCSK9, effects of the fasting-feeding cycle and carbohydrate intake)
27:00 Inflammation (via PCSK9, effects of acute infection and chronic inflammation)
29:15 Practical approaches to maximizing LDL receptor activity
29:22 Nutrient-dense whole food diets
34:00 Thyroid disorder
37:15 Adrenal stress, circadian stress, inflammatory stress
39:05 Insulin resistance, body composition, and fatty liver disease
42:00 Weight loss will improve insulin sensitivity, and for many a low-carb diet is a tool to achieve that, but in an insulin-sensitive person, carbohydrate stimulation of insulin has a powerful beneficial effect on LDL receptor activity
46:20 Inflammation and PCSK9
47:00 C-Reactive Protein levels, body composition, diet quality, and exercise
49:25 Replacing fat with carbohydrate
Thank you! I will give it a listen this afternoon, but as much as I remember from listening to masterjohn on other podcasts, he recommends lowering insulin resistance by going low carb first?

Mito

Thank you! I will give it a listen this afternoon, but as much as I remember from listening to masterjohn on other podcasts, he recommends lowering insulin resistance by going low carb first?
These are good too.