Does DHT convert back to testosterone?

SOMO

I read that DHT is superior as a neurosteroid for brain function and gonadal function, but Testosterone is much better for muscle building - which has been my experience.

There is a slight mood lift and increased energy levels wiht testosterone but it could just be placebo.

But DHT feels a lot like progesterone in its calming, focusing effects.

Can DHT convert back to testosterone?

OP
SOMO

SOMO

Everyone here talks about hormones as if they were an Endocrinologist but I can’t get a simple answer to a simple question.

Rasaari

No. Neither can estradiol convert back to testosterone nor progesterone to pregnenolone.

cupofcoffee

No, the T to DHT conversion Is irreversible. The calming effects you noticed could be from DHT's metabolism into other steroids that affect GABA ( note that these conversions are reversible AFAIK )

Sexypizza

How much DHT did you take? are you taking it by itself or with testosterone?

I'm thinking of trying it.

mrchibbs

I read that DHT is superior as a neurosteroid for brain function and gonadal function, but Testosterone is much better for muscle building - which has been my experience.

There is a slight mood lift and increased energy levels wiht testosterone but it could just be placebo.

But DHT feels a lot like progesterone in its calming, focusing effects.

Can DHT convert back to testosterone?

I think DHT is a paracrine hormone (as opposed to endocrine) and is synthesized from testosterone, DHEA and other androgens in target tissues under the influence of specific physiological conditions. I would think it's the end point.

Epik

The Wikipedia page on the 5ar enzyme says that the conversion of testosterone to DHT catalyzed by the 5 alpha reductase type 2 is a revisable reaction but probably leans towards DHT.

opethfeldt

I'm not aware of it being able to convert back to testosterone but it can be converted to androstanediol, androstanedione and androsterone. Those 4 steroids (including DHT) interconvert readily. Generally speaking, DHT stays as DHT until it's metabolized, though, because the body likes to accumulate it.