Does Cyproheptadine Work For Motion Sickness ?

Makrosky

Hey fellas,

I was wondering if anyone knows or have experience using cyproheptadine for motion sickness.

I've normally used Dimenhydrinate in the past and since cypro is an antihistamine as well, I thought maybe it could work ? Don't really like dimenhydrinate and if cypro is useful with that beside it's myriad of positive effects on health, that's a double win.

I would like to know your thoughts/experiences about it. I don't feel like trying it the very day I'm expecting the motion sickness to happen and find out it doesn't work well... :sick: :sick: :sick:

Edit : The fact that ginger is antiserotoninergic and is also used for treating motion sickness made me also think about cypro.

SQu

I don't know but I hope your trip went okay. I sympathize because I too suffer from motion sickness and it is no fun. Did you try the cyproheptadine? In my case I think the cyproheptadine would knock me out too much to drive.I've never got beyond that sedation. As it is, motion sickness often makes me feel like cyproheptadine! I.e. groggy, passed out. I've had the same from hay fever attacks, without medication. Ginger is something I find useful for when I'm feeling bad but it hasn't helped for motion sickness.

jyb

I have wondered about that as well. I don't do long trips by car or bus often enough to have really tested the hypothesis. But I read that serotonin spikes is what causes vomiting (hence why doctors prescribe Ondansetron after some surgeries). For me clearly if I suddenly take a pill of cypro (4mg) without building up to it beforehand, it would knock me off for a day and I would expect to sleep well on a long journey, without motion sickness. I don't know the answer for a smaller dose like 0.5-1mg per day, but that is the kind of dose I use when I go on cypro for a one-off session (a few days). At that dose the side effects are for me manageable, although still present, but some people have written on this forum that cypro is not good for them at all, so the "myriad of positive effects on health" are not guaranteed. Although the short life of cypro is officially a few hours, I have found it is safer to assume that effects can be felt until the next day included.

Giraffe

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2054851/pdf/brmedj03809-0040.pdf

Car Sickness in Children

Q. -- What is the best prophylactic treatment for travel sickness in a child aged 6 during a journey by car?

A. -- In the long run, getting used to the mode of travels seems the only satisfactory remedy. Many children are very sick when they first begin to make car journeys and then appear to get over the trouble. If it is at all persistent, careful examination of the eyes should be made and refractive errors corrected. There does seem to be a visual factor in some instances, and the child is better sitting high up to get an unrestricted field of vision. Some children are helped by sugar. Before the war a well-known brand of glucose (and sodium bicarbonate) tablet was found useful by many parents, but it is unobtainable now. Personal points permitting, plain boiled sweets might be prescribed instead and sucked throughout the journey.

Waynish

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2054851/pdf/brmedj03809-0040.pdf

Car Sickness in Children

Q. -- What is the best prophylactic treatment for travel sickness in a child aged 6 during a journey by car?

A. -- In the long run, getting used to the mode of travels seems the only satisfactory remedy. Many children are very sick when they first begin to make car journeys and then appear to get over the trouble. If it is at all persistent, careful examination of the eyes should be made and refractive errors corrected. There does seem to be a visual factor in some instances, and the child is better sitting high up to get an unrestricted field of vision. Some children are helped by sugar. Before the war a well-known brand of glucose (and sodium bicarbonate) tablet was found useful by many parents, but it is unobtainable now. Personal points permitting, plain boiled sweets might be prescribed instead and sucked throughout the journey.

That entire journal issue is quite good - have you read them all?

Interesting thread... I was seasick sailing using Dimenhydrinate, but I didn't think to try the cypro I had on me!