Does cottage cheese (quark) always have the safe rennet?

freal

Most cottages cheeses (quark cheeses) have under the ingredients "rennet", some even say vegetarian rennet. But all are made with rennet.
Is that not a problem like in real cheeses?

OP
F

freal

Quark cheese is almost never made with rennet, so we Europeans are safe.

But cottage cheese is a different story, I think it is made with rennet, but I dont even have it available in my couuntry,so wont be looking into this issue.

OP
F

freal

No, I was wrong in the previous post, quark cheese is made with rennet.

loess

When I buy cottage cheese it's usually Kalona. I haven't noticed any bad reactions to it for myself but they definitely use non-animal rennet.

OP
F

freal

Thats really annoying. We can assume the same thing for cream cheesa as well, cant we, its made from rennet also, or is it not? So why avoid cheese and not avoid cottage cheese?

So basically we are down to few certified cheeses (mostly parmesan), milk and greek yogurt. Also 4/5 greek yogurts in stores are fake, if the protein content is not at around 10grams per 100gram of it its fake. They ticken it with al sorts of thing, from carrageenan, carob, gelatine and powdered milk and dehydrated milk stuff. All the real greek yogurts are so expensive.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
freal said:
Also 4/5 greek yogurts in stores are fake, if the protein content is not at around 10grams per 100gram of it its fake. They ticken it with al sorts of thing, from carrageenan, carob, gelatine and powdered milk and dehydrated milk stuff. All the real greek yogurts are so expensive.

That's good to know, thank you. :hattip

juanitacarlos

Quark does not always contain rennet. I make it at home and I only put in starter cultures and calcium chloride. It's ridiculously easy to make and a fraction of the price compared to store-bought (in Australia at least).

OP
F

freal

jaa said:
Apologies for the slight derail, but this yogurt is all good, right?

http://www.liberte.ca/en/grec-yogurt-pr ... gurt_0_.sn

You see in the chart, what some greek yogurts have in the ingredients,pectin, powdered milk, milk concentrate, thats to thicken plain yogurt. But in Europe you go to a supermarket and 4/5 greek yougurt have on the ingredients list some thickener, mostly obvious ones like starch or a gum.

But I dont know if greek yogurt is even free of lactic acid, its still quite sour when I tasted it and I mean real greek yogurt.

himsahimsa

I use Organic Valley Plain whole milk yogurt:
Hang it in a strainer over a bowl with a cheese cloth or organdy liner.
(Any rag will work. Tee shirts, panties ... whatever you can get your hands on. Not a fluffy towel.)
(Cover it to reduce evaporation, the cover doesn't have to be perfect.)
In the fridge or on the counter, in about 24 hours the whey is drained and it is Greek'ed.
(You can leave yogurt out a long time, bacteria guard their turf. Use a bowl tall enough to keep Sri Yogurts feet out of the water.)
Longer makes it thicker, like cream cheese.
This is a very low work proposition.
Non-Fat works fine if that's what you like.
When it's done to your taste, turn it out onto a plate and peal the cloth off it. If you try to scrape it out with a spoon you will just work the yogurt into the cloth making it harder to clean. Rinse the panties well, immediately and put them back where you found them.

juanitacarlos

6a00d8341ca93053ef015432b51a66970c-800wi

Filip1993

Are dietary lactates really that big of a deal? I tolerate plain goat yoghurt just fine and eat it on a daily basis.

himsahimsa

About the rennet; when you're being eaten by a shark the water resistance of your sun tan lotion is not important.

kiran

Filip1993 said:
Are dietary lactates really that big of a deal? I tolerate plain goat yoghurt just fine and eat it on a daily basis.

I think it depends to a large extent on how good your liver is. I can't tolerate yoghurt at all. How sour is the yoghurt? Maybe you should try replacing it with say greek yogurt for a few days to see if you notice a difference.

himsahimsa

This Wiki entry is pretty good reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese

Primitive people in profoundly unsterile conditions have been making cheese for thousands of years.

Experimental behavior stimulates the reorganization of the brain. Cells are born and recruited. Even if it doesn't turn out all that well, the dog doesn't care. Playing around till you can make even a simple cheese reliably involves observation, acquisition of information, inventive use of implements, patience and olfactory discrimination, at least. Mindful action. Walking meditation. You can eat it. And like sweeping up the yantra, it reveals the transient nature of cheesiness.

mt_dreams

Ray may have mentioned to avoid bacterial rennet as it doesn't have the same characteristics as animal or vegetable rennet. If it just says rennet, I would suggest to find out which of the 3 types of rennet it is.

As others have mentioned, avoid fresh cheese (and aged for the matter) which have enzymes added, and any with thickeners as they do lots of damage to the gut.

Filip1993

kiran said:
Filip1993 said:

I think it depends to a large extent on how good your liver is. I can't tolerate yoghurt at all. How sour is the yoghurt? Maybe you should try replacing it with say greek yogurt for a few days to see if you notice a difference.

Yeah, I found a greek yoghurt made of goat milk today, gonna try that out and see if it makes a difference.

mt_dreams

Filip1993 said:
kiran said:
Filip1993 said:

Yeah, I found a greek yoghurt made of goat milk today, gonna try that out and see if it makes a difference.

If you feel the desire to eat yogurt rather than fresh cheeses, "Greek" is definitely the way to go. Much of the lactic acid produced in yogurt is drained away with the whey, which is why it is not sour like regular yogurt.

One note on bacterial rennet, it's GMO, so stay away. This makes it all the more important to verify labels listed with "rennet" or "non-animal"

Filip1993

I don't have access to good cheeses. I'm straining yoghurt right know, does strained yoghurt contain as much calories/carbs/fat/protein as regular yoghurt? Or is something lost when I strain it?

Dutchie

mt_dreams said:
Filip1993 said:
kiran said:
Filip1993 said:

If you feel the desire to eat yogurt rather than fresh cheeses, "Greek" is definitely the way to go. Much of the lactic acid produced in yogurt is drained away with the whey, which is why it is not sour like regular yogurt.

One note on bacterial rennet, it's GMO, so stay away. This makes it all the more important to verify labels listed with "rennet" or "non-animal"

Lately I had been enjoying Vanilla yoghurt but at nigth during my sleep I sometimes feel this nagging pain in my legs/knees. Today out of nowhere the word Lactic Acid suddenly came to my mind. I do weigthlifting (although I don't feel I'm really doing any heavy ***t *sigh* as it's also obvious concerning bodyrecomposition.),could it be that the lactic acid is hindering the healing/growing of my muscles?
If so....today at the supermarket I saw they sell Fage 0% Greek yoghurt,would that be better?(although it's expensive...I'd like to try to make frozen yoghurt with it too.) And what about,I think it's called soft-curd cheese?, over here it's called quark?
Also you mentioned when draining yoghurt,the lactic acid leaves with the whey.....does whey contain lactic acid and when draining yoghurt do the probiotic bacteria also get drained out?