Does Cooking Liver For A Few Minutes Destroy Vitamin A?

RobertJM

And it tastes better when it’s pink(ish) in the middle anyway. Nothing worse than overcooked, tough liver.

LucH

25 % Vitamin A (retinol) lost when cooking.
Source: Nutritional Effects of Food Processing

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/processing
Freezing, Drying, Cooking, and Reheating.
Note: I fry it 1 min. on each face, in coco fat, then add a cup of warm water (240 ml) and sea salt + pepper. Cook an additionnal 5' with cover.
Tasty so and not too hard / dry (soft). :thumbup:

Amazoniac

It's great that you're conscious about preparing your food in a way that reduces toxins, but I don't think it's enough:

- Retinol and beta carotene content of indigenous raw and home-prepared foods in Northeast Thailand

upload_2019-5-12_20-28-31.png

Have you considered carbonizing it?

OP
G

Gone Peating

RobertJM

25 % Vitamin A (retinol) lost when cooking.
Source: Nutritional Effects of Food Processing

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/processing
Freezing, Drying, Cooking, and Reheating.
Note: I fry it 1 min. on each face, in coco fat, then add a cup of warm water (240 ml) and sea salt + pepper. Cook an additionnal 5' with cover.
Tasty so and not too hard / dry (soft). :thumbup:

I would fry mine in water. But I’m talking a few mls of water. Cut into small pieces and fried from fresh, it takes a minute or two to cook them so they are still slightly pink in the middle. Saying that, I haven’t eaten any liver now for a few months. My body doesn’t crave it at all these days. In the early days of Peating I would crave it very much.

Isn’t that a lot of water you’re using? Or are you removing the liver from the water once cooked?

LucH

Isn’t that a lot of water you’re using? Or are you removing the liver from the water once cooked?
I eat both, like a miso soup.
I add one small sliced onion, fried in pan with coconut fat & cuts of 2 or 3 chicken livers (young animal = not much toxin). 2' later 250 ml warm water (& spices) and cooked 5' more, with cover. At the end, I add some pastured butter in the "broth".
250 ml = a big cup (180 - 220 ml)
I eat all, like a miso soup, with some home-made bread. Chicken liver tastes better than beef liver. Less strong & less polluants.