Does Conventional Milk Contain PUFA?

lyfe

Hey guys,

I am consuming quite a bit of whole milk right now after 10 years of not consuming milk. I really feel like my body wants it more than anything and I crave it more than solid food. I am taking whole milk and adding white sugar to it. It really has helped stabilize my stress levels. I have this intuitive hunch that I was very deficient in calcium after 10 years of strict vegetarianism with some vegan periods as well. Long story short - I am on a very strict budget and trying to restrict PUFA as much as I can. I cant afford the fancy milk at the store. My budget is quite strict. Does the cheap $2.80 gallons of whole milk contain pufa?

Also - a few members here have suggested that I cut the whole milk out and try 2% or 1%. I tried this but my body rejects it. I get bloated and feel weird after I drink it. I am thinking there is something in the high fat milk that my body needs currently.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Jessie

How much we talking about here? Generally speaking no, milk is really low in pufa. A quart contains less than 2 grams. You'd have to be drinking a whole gallon everyday to get past Peat's recommendation of staying below 4 grams. Even if you stayed under 8 grams of pufa daily, you would still be doing better than 99.9999% of people.

The important thing to take note of is do you feel good when drinking it? I would recommend trying to balance some of the dairy with fruits/juice, gelatin, oysters, and occasional liver to give yourself a complete nutritional profile. The fat is where most of the hormones are stored, like progesterone and thyroid. So you may be picking up additional nutrients your body is craving by getting the whole milk.

OP
lyfe

lyfe

How much we talking about here? Generally speaking no, milk is really low in pufa. A quart contains less than 2 grams. You'd have to be drinking a whole gallon everyday to get past Peat's recommendation of staying below 4 grams. Even if you stayed under 8 grams of pufa daily, you would still be doing better than 99.9999% of people.

The important thing to take note of is do you feel good when drinking it? I would recommend trying to balance some of the dairy with fruits/juice, gelatin, oysters, and occasional liver to give yourself a complete nutritional profile. The fat is where most of the hormones are stored, like progesterone and thyroid. So you may be picking up additional nutrients your body is craving by getting the whole milk.

Thanks for the reply ! Right now I drink a gallon a day. There have even been a few days where I've drank a gallon & a half. I am sure it sounds like a lot but I believe my body was starving for calcium. Right now I am trying to limit my intake a bit and consume less than a gallon a day. I took your advice and bought some oysters, liver, and fruits. How essential is gelatin though? Is that something that is a must have?

Jessie

1-2 quarts of milk will generally provide enough calcium. Provided you aren't eating additional sources of phosphate (grains, legumes, meat, etc.)

The gelatin isn't necessary unless you're eating a bunch of muscle meats (steak, chicken breast, pork chop, etc.).

The oysters and liver should be done 2-3 times a week.

Fruits and dairy can comprise most of your daily diet, and this would be good for keeping calcium and phosphate in balance. Only thing I would watch out for is possible weight gain. Whole milk has a lot of additional calories in it. If you're sedentary the weight may start creeping up on you.

If low-fat milk doesn't settle well on your stomach, you could try some low-fat cheeses. Something like 1% cottage cheese or nonfat greek yogurt can really come in handy here. But they can be loaded with bad stuff like gum or carrageenan, so I recommend a clean product with not much additives. FDA mandates low-fat dairy to be fortified with vitamin A, so this should ideally be the only extra additive.

OP
lyfe

lyfe

Thanks Jessie.

I am definitely going to start cutting down on how much milk I am drinking. Although at the beginning it seemed to help me lose weight - it seems to now be packing on the lb's. It was really easy to overdo because it tastes so damned good - especially with sugar.

Dr. B

1-2 quarts of milk will generally provide enough calcium. Provided you aren't eating additional sources of phosphate (grains, legumes, meat, etc.)

The gelatin isn't necessary unless you're eating a bunch of muscle meats (steak, chicken breast, pork chop, etc.).

The oysters and liver should be done 2-3 times a week.

Fruits and dairy can comprise most of your daily diet, and this would be good for keeping calcium and phosphate in balance. Only thing I would watch out for is possible weight gain. Whole milk has a lot of additional calories in it. If you're sedentary the weight may start creeping up on you.

If low-fat milk doesn't settle well on your stomach, you could try some low-fat cheeses. Something like 1% cottage cheese or nonfat greek yogurt can really come in handy here. But they can be loaded with bad stuff like gum or carrageenan, so I recommend a clean product with not much additives. FDA mandates low-fat dairy to be fortified with vitamin A, so this should ideally be the only extra additive.
the vitamin A supplements arent the same but vitamin A in milk additives contains polysorbate 80, propylene glycol, sunflower oil although likely miniscule maybe 50mg sunflower oil per cup or something

isnt 100% grass fed milk lower in pufa than grain or corn fed milk. i heard it could be 3% pufa or less which means even a full gallon of the whole milk may be only about 4g PUFA, and 128g total fat. i think Ray said the ratio of saturated fat to PUFA is more important than overall intake of either one right?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals