Does Coffee Increase Nitric Oxide?

sladerunner69

From my many years of coffee drinking and weight training I can guarantee coffee does no increase NO simply due to the observation that after coffee my vascularity is amrkedly decreased. Everytime. According to Peat, apparently that's a good thing, and I actually am feeling better for it.

Blinkyrocket

Evidence for the role of nitric oxide in caffeine-induced locomotor activity in mice

It's a non-selective phosphodiesterase inhibitor which means it has similar actions to Sildenafil, why wouldn't it increase nitric oxide and positively modulate cGMP? Personally, this is another of quite a few reasons to say "screw caffeine".

http://psycnet.apa.org/psycinfo/1978-11904-001

Maybe this study provides a reason why chocolate is not popularly associated with anxiety like caffeine is?

Obviously brain (neuronal) nitric oxide and endothelial nitric oxide are two different things, caffeine can oppose the actions of LPS in certain cells like astrocytes or glial cells I guess. Probably opposes inducible NOS but in most other ways is pro nitric oxide.

Last edited:

Amazoniac

Evidence for the role of nitric oxide in caffeine-induced locomotor activity in mice

It's a non-selective phosphodiesterase inhibitor which means it has similar actions to Sildenafil, why wouldn't it increase nitric oxide and positively modulate cGMP? Personally, this is another of quite a few reasons to say "screw caffeine".

Maybe this study provides a reason why chocolate is not popularly associated with anxiety like caffeine is?

Obviously brain (neuronal) nitric oxide and endothelial nitric oxide are two different things, caffeine can oppose the actions of LPS in certain cells like astrocytes or glial cells I guess. Probably opposes inducible NOS but in most other ways is pro nitric oxide.
Why did you disappear?

Blinkyrocket

Ok. Hope that you've been doing great. Glad that you're back..
Thanks :) I hope the forum's doing good lol. I wouldn't say I'm "back" though, I just like to come here to see Haidut's research and supplements. Plus, just remembered these 2 studies on caffeine and wanted to stimulate thought on why Ray Peat says nitric oxide is bad (and it is, especially in the brain, inhibition leads to anxiolysis and anti-depression) but caffeine potentiates its actions at least and probably only by increasing cGMP (the opposite of methylene blue's effect on nitric oxide). But, oddly enough, caffeine is relatively neuroprotective in the right doses so the cGMP modulation may be of little consequence due to some other factors.

Eh, why not, I'm back technically.

Last edited:

Blinkyrocket

It boosts the good version of Nitric Oxide, the same kind they use to give rice rockets a boost.
To the best of my knowledge cGMP inhibition is associated with anti-anxiety and anti-depressive effects. The only type of nitric oxide that may be beneficial is endothelial, nitric oxide in the brain has a neurotoxic effect. cGMP/neuronal NOS inhibition is a pretty cool new avenue for depression and anxiety that I've followed quite closely due to the fact that tolerance is not gained to the significantly potent anxiolytic properties. It's one of the reasons I'm taking Berberine, plus the NMDA antagonist effect of Berberine which is instrumental in its acute effects. Can't wait to see future results, too since Berberine also inhibits various forms of NOS (Nitric Oxide Synthase) and is a sigma agonist. Although, I need to combine it with Resveratrol eventually to counteract its main side effect which is a downregulation of hERG potassium channels in the heart and subsequent long Qt syndrome. Not necessarily sure how severe the Qt prolongation could be but Resveratrol is said to ameliorate both antagonism and downregulation of the hERG potassium channel induced by other things and specifically Berberine.

Last edited:

ddjd

To the best of my knowledge cGMP inhibition is associated with anti-anxiety and anti-depressive effects. The only type of nitric oxide that may be beneficial is endothelial, nitric oxide in the brain has a neurotoxic effect. cGMP/neuronal NOS inhibition is a pretty cool new avenue for depression and anxiety that I've followed quite closely due to the fact that tolerance is not gained to the significantly potent anxiolytic properties. It's one of the reasons I'm taking Berberine, plus the NMDA antagonist effect of Berberine which is instrumental in its acute effects. Can't wait to see future results, too since Berberine also inhibits various forms of NOS (Nitric Oxide Synthase) and is a sigma agonist. Although, I need to combine it with Resveratrol eventually to counteract its main side effect which is a downregulation of hERG potassium channels in the heart and subsequent long Qt syndrome. Not necessarily sure how severe the Qt prolongation could be but Resveratrol is said to ameliorate both antagonism and downregulation of the hERG potassium channel induced by other things and specifically Berberine.
so it boosts eNOS and lowers iNOS/ nNOS?

Ulysses

I recently quit caffeine altogether and have felt much better. Obviously Peat is pro-coffee and I’m not saying that coffee is bad for everyone, but everyone is different and the essence of Peatism is not drinking orange juice and coffee, but cultivating your own “internal guidance system.” If you’re having an intuition to drop it, follow through on that intuition and see what happens, because ultimately that is the only way you can know. The worst case scenario is you feel worse and just start up with it again, and according to some studies haidut posted, a measly 200 mg of caffeine per day is enough to restore insulin sensitivity and de-fat the liver in a matter of weeks.

ddjd

I recently quit caffeine altogether and have felt much better. Obviously Peat is pro-coffee and I’m not saying that coffee is bad for everyone, but everyone is different and the essence of Peatism is not drinking orange juice and coffee, but cultivating your own “internal guidance system.” If you’re having an intuition to drop it, follow through on that intuition and see what happens, because ultimately that is the only way you can know. The worst case scenario is you feel worse and just start up with it again, and according to some studies haidut posted, a measly 200 mg of caffeine per day is enough to restore insulin sensitivity and de-fat the liver in a matter of weeks.
what was the main problem with coffee- insomnia?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals