Does Coffee Have To Be "organic And Specialty Grade" Freshly Ground Beans?

livesimply

So, I've been drinking coffee for over 40 years, and recently I've seen some articles about the dangers of drinking anything but organic, speciality grade coffee that you grind fresh shortly before drinking. The stuff is expensive, and I really like my ground coffee—it tastes great, is easy to brew, and not too pricey. Do you think it's THAT harmful? I've had no adverse effects from it that I am aware of. I typically have 3 cups a day with light cream and sugar.

Thanks!

I never really notice feeling bad from even the cheapest coffee, but definitely freshly ground grade A coffee makes me feel the best! :)

x-ray peat

It depends on how much you think pesticides are dangerous. Some people are more sensitive than others but generally non-organic coffee uses a lot of pesticides. If you dont grind your own coffee from the whole bean you lose a lot of flavor and also some of the healthy phenols/aromatics. BJs has a very good organic coffee that you can buy in bulk that's much cheaper than usual. Trader Joes organic coffee is pretty reasonable as well.

EndAllDisease

If you want to maximize nutriton content of the coffee and minimize the chances of agri poisons in your coffee then yes it's probably a good idea.

However, I've heard ray say on one of his radio show appearances that running water through coffee is a great way to chelate chemicals from it. "You put unclean water in to the coffee machine and out comes clean coffee."

smith

It depends on how much you think pesticides are dangerous. Some people are more sensitive than others but generally non-organic coffee uses a lot of pesticides. If you dont grind your own coffee from the whole bean you lose a lot of flavor and also some of the healthy phenols/aromatics. BJs has a very good organic coffee that you can buy in bulk that's much cheaper than usual. Trader Joes organic coffee is pretty reasonable as well.
You think washing the beans in water/whatever-soap would remove all the pesticides?

x-ray peat

You think washing the beans in water/whatever-soap would remove all the pesticides?
They actually already wash the beans as well as roast them so I dont think additional washing would help.

Plus I just saw a study that says that the roasting process removes almost all the pesticides. So not sure anymore though organic coffee is better for the environment at least

[Organochlorine pesticide residues in raw and roasted coffee and their degradation during the roasting process]. - PubMed - NCBI

OP
livesimply

livesimply

I just saw a study that says that the roasting process removes almost all the pesticides.
Would love to see a link to that study.

Elast1c

Fwiw I was guzzling down 5-7 cups a day of normal krueger coffee about 3 months ago alongside couple new supplements and food items. A rash broke out on my hand that got pretty aggressive. I also had bad indegestion. At first I was convinved it was the dairy but then tried a high altittude coffee brand. Headaches and the rash dissipated. having 1-2 of the same brand doesn't give the same results but notice a headache and hives after a few days of the same brand

OP
livesimply

livesimply

I just ordered a sample from https://puritycoffee.com. If I like the roast & flavor I may splurge for a subscription!

dbh25

It reminds me of the marketing from Bulletproof coffee,

You can get organic brands like Equal Exchange for 1/2 the price. I'd buy it if you find the taste that much better. The health claims sound dubious.

OP
livesimply

livesimply

HMMM.... if you read the comments below the video there are good arguments FOR and AGAINST. I'll try the coffee and see.....

OP
livesimply

livesimply

zewe

I read that coffee is one of the most heavily pesticide laced crops on Earth.

The supermarkets here used to have a couple of organic brands but I guess they didn't sell. I found an Ethiopian Café, very close to me with organic beans.
Just bought some yesterday and the price was same as what I paid in the stores....Makes me happy and I can chat with the owner.

dbh25

HMMM.... if you read the comments below the video there are good arguments FOR and AGAINST. I'll try the coffee and see.....
That was a very interesting response. Is this an advertisement, are you working for this coffee company?

inthedark

How is specialty grade different from organic?

Speciality grade refers to various ways of judging coffee quality -varying by country- but really only means it's not commodity grade. Grading coffee has little to do with pesticide use and is generally based on type of processing, uniformity of size, size, elevation, and cupping score (a way of quantifying flavour quality).

You can have organic non-specialty but you can also have coffee that is not "certified organic " but that uses little or no chemical pesticides. Organic certification is expensive and many small farms can simply not afford it as they're barely making money as is. If you've got a local toaster that is very transparent and actually knows the people who grow their coffee you can talk to them about pesticide use on those farms.

OP
livesimply

livesimply

That was a very interesting response. Is this an advertisement, are you working for this coffee company?
HaHa. Nope, absolutely don't work for the company. Purchased coffee from another site but the roast was too strong, so returned the unopened packages. Really just searching for good coffee that's good for me. For 10+ years have been buying Jacobs Kronung Ground Coffee and just wondering if there's something better out there.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals