Does coconut oil kill bacteria or not?

Motif

Some say yeah; but many articles say it’s absolutely not proven.

And does it have a positive or negative impact on bile ?

mariantos

I can definitely tell you that it has a potent antifungal effect, tested on me. I don't know about the antibacterial one. However, the qualities of the medium-chain fatty acids it contains are impressive. These medium-chain fatty acids are partly converted into triglycerides in the liver and they don't require pancreatic enzymes or bile from the liver for digestion. So if coconut oil is metabolized in the liver, I think it can be a positive thing for bile.

T

TheBeard

Some say yeah; but many articles say it’s absolutely not proven.

And does it have a positive or negative impact on bile ?

Unlike other fat sources, coconut oil doesn't trigger bile release.

lilsticky

Danny said he's getting better results from olive oil. Bacteria might become intelligent because you fed it the exact same trojan horse everyday

yerrag

It goes straight to the liver and is metabolized. I don't know how much of it goes to the colon, as most likely gets absorbed by the small intestine.

So not much benefit to the colon.

Since it gets metabolized by the liver, I doubt much gets into circulation.

Sublingual maybe?

It would be nice if it could be inhaled using cold diffusers, as this is a good way to get it into the blood stream, but unlike essential oils, it is more viscous and isn't recommended for use with cold diffusers.

I did it for 2 nights sleeping with the cold diffuser on, but I stopped it when I realized I could destroy the diffuser. Still, if there's a diffuser built for coconut oil inhalation that can last, I'd want to use it.

tanya48

I don't know why but coconut oil raises my blood pressure. So much so that I ended up in the ER once. It also causes tachycardia. I've heard of other people having similar, if not identical, issues with it. Too bad, because I love the stuff. I don't think it's an allergy, but I may simply be intolerant of it for some reason.

JacobG

@TheBeard Why would coconut oil not result in bile release? As far as I know it stimulates CCK like any other highly saturated fat.

Dr. B

Danny said he's getting better results from olive oil. Bacteria might become intelligent because you fed it the exact same trojan horse everyday
danny and ray both like olive oil for the carrot salad, they claim it gives better digestion and tastes better. it seems olive oils anti bacterial effect is stronger than coconut oils? also ray said olive oil even unrefined has no allergenic potential whereas even refined coconut oil has allergens. do allergenic substances still cause some sort of inflammation in people who arent allergic? this seems to be the case with wheat/gluten, corn, as well as soy, as well as nuts/peanuts, as well as even eggs and milk... but i wonder if the eggs/milk allergies are actually due to most chicken/cows being corn/soy/grain fed, raised poorly more so than the eggs/milk themselves.

Kvothe

danny and ray both like olive oil for the carrot salad, they claim it gives better digestion and tastes better. it seems olive oils anti bacterial effect is stronger than coconut oils? also ray said olive oil even unrefined has no allergenic potential whereas even refined coconut oil has allergens. do allergenic substances still cause some sort of inflammation in people who arent allergic? this seems to be the case with wheat/gluten, corn, as well as soy, as well as nuts/peanuts, as well as even eggs and milk... but i wonder if the eggs/milk allergies are actually due to most chicken/cows being corn/soy/grain fed, raised poorly more so than the eggs/milk themselves.

Oleic acid doesn't have any anti-bacterial effects worth mentioning. As Ray said in the recent interview, beeing a fruit oil, the benefical effects of olive oil are due to the phenolic compunds that can infuence the intestine in beneficial ways. I think the quality of the olive oil is important. A standard, cheap olive oil from the supermarket tastes horrible, and I haven't noticed any positive effects. To the contrary, it sometimes noticeably upsets my stomach. A genuine, cold pressed olive oil with a high quality is entirely different stuff, and I can eat a lot of it and feel great.
That beeing said, I doubt that olive oil has more potent anti-bacterial effects than coconut oil. For me, there is nothing to balance an upset gut like a high-fat coconut oil meal. I use highly purified, deodorized coconut oil, and never tried the expensive, flavorful sort.

Dr. B

Oleic acid doesn't have any anti-bacterial effects worth mentioning. As Ray said in the recent interview, beeing a fruit oil, the benefical effects of olive oil are due to the phenolic compunds that can infuence the intestine in beneficial ways. I think the quality of the olive oil is important. A standard, cheap olive oil from the supermarket tastes horrible, and I haven't noticed any positive effects. To the contrary, it sometimes noticeably upsets my stomach. A genuine, cold pressed olive oil with a high quality is entirely different stuff, and I can eat a lot of it and feel great.
That beeing said, I doubt that olive oil has more potent anti-bacterial effects than coconut oil. For me, there is nothing to balance an upset gut like a high-fat coconut oil meal. I use highly purified, deodorized coconut oil, and never tried the expensive, flavorful sort.
i thought Ray in the recent podcast with danny, did state that the olive oil has antibacterial effects which is responsible for its effects on the intestine? there was also a separate comment where ray mentioned even refined coconut oil has allergens whereas olive oil, being a fruit, doesnt have allergens for most people even if its unrefined. I think rays comment explains why some have trouble with coconut oil, it simply comes down to the allergens which seemingly could cause some inflammation or stomach upset even in people who arent literally allergic

Dave Clark

It goes straight to the liver and is metabolized. I don't know how much of it goes to the colon, as most likely gets absorbed by the small intestine.

So not much benefit to the colon.

Since it gets metabolized by the liver, I doubt much gets into circulation.

Sublingual maybe?

It would be nice if it could be inhaled using cold diffusers, as this is a good way to get it into the blood stream, but unlike essential oils, it is more viscous and isn't recommended for use with cold diffusers.

I did it for 2 nights sleeping with the cold diffuser on, but I stopped it when I realized I could destroy the diffuser. Still, if there's a diffuser built for coconut oil inhalation that can last, I'd want to use it.
What about the talk that the long chain fats can reduce tight junctions and compromise gut health?
Some say if you are TH2 dominant, you should not use coconut oil, that it will increase allergies. Apparently, there are some studies out there. Actually, coconut allergy, per se, is rare, but the way it affects the gut is the controversy.

Dr. B

The phenolics in olive oil give it anti-bacterial properties. Olive leaf extract, known for anti-microbial properties, has similar phenolics.
how does olive leaf compare to olive oil does it provide all the benefits without the calories? like if you look at island leaf nutrition olive leaf capsules on amazon theyre advertised as very high quality from spanish andalusian olive trees or something. but the way olie leaf is advertised is, like one capsule gives you the benefits of a liter of olive oil, without the fat, volume and calories. is that actually true or are there still more benefits in the actual olive oil

yerrag

Ray cautions against proteins and rightly so, but that shouldn't keep one from trying things he cautions against. If I heeded every caution and deprive myself of the intake of some of these substances, I may deprive myself of the benefits they offer. Peanuts as potentially allergenic and anaphylaxic isn't keeping me from enjoying peanuts - only because I know I don't have those reactions.

Ray Peat may also be a person prone to allergies to proteins in plants, and so he is disposed to be cautious about them and to tell people to exercise more caution than I would practice myself.

For example, he cautions coconut milk for its protein content, but I've been eating coconut curry for a long time, and I've been eating grated mature coconut meat to accompany native Filipino desserts, and I haven't experienced any allergy. Then again, my ancestors may have gotten used to it, or I may have become adapted to it by being acculturated to it growing up.

But it could be I came from a time and place where my immune system isn't as much tampered with my vaccines that make a lot of Americans, millenials down, hypersensitive.

Missenger

But it could be I came from a time and place where my immune system isn't as much tampered with my vaccines that make a lot of Americans, millenials down, hypersensitive.
They make a killing selling poison as a panacea, thanks Crisco and various health organization company props.

yerrag

Oh yeah, the merchants have messed up westerners' immune systems pretty nicely with their poison.
You can thank Ronald Reagan for signing the vaccine emancipation act for persecuted vaccine makers for that.

Missenger

You can thank Ronald Reagan for signing the vaccine emancipation act for persecuted vaccine makers for that.
May as well get down to it and blame the Roosevelts for damning the country a century ago with the fed.

yerrag

What about the talk that the long chain fats can reduce tight junctions and compromise gut health?
Some say if you are TH2 dominant, you should not use coconut oil, that it will increase allergies. Apparently, there are some studies out there. Actually, coconut allergy, per se, is rare, but the way it affects the gut is the controversy.
The article you linked to lambasts coconut oil and long chain saturated fats and extols PUFAs. How credible could that author be?

yerrag

May as well get down to it and blame the Roosevelts for damning the country a century ago with the fed.
Why not go up the chain and blame Adam and Eve? Your point is not well taken!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals