Does Chronic Tobacco Use Dampen Stress Response?

aguineapig

I have had a unique, at times intense, rapport with tobacco going back to 2013. I was in a dysfunctional relationship and a stagnant home front where I was still living at the time, so I started smoking cigars as a way to "get ahead".

I got quite into the hobby aspect of it. I have a humidor, about 50 pounds of pipe tobacco stored in mason jars, some snus in my fridge, and 15 or so pounds of nasal snuff jarred up. I did enjoy it using it, but perhaps not as much as trying new kinds and hedging against future onerous regulations (I didn't usually use very much, took regular breaks, and figured my stash would last me til around age 80 or so).

Anyway, life continued to suck until I broke down about 1 year ago. Because of the panic attacks and "amygdala hijack" episodes (basically an exaggerated stress response), I stopped caffeine and tobacco (as well as booze). While I have missed them a little bit, apart from a caffeine headache I didn't notice any further tangible withdrawals.

But while I still consider it the correct course in hindsight (any stimulant would induce a panic attack a year ago), I have improved somewhat and wonder if consistent nicotine intake, like caffeine, can down regulate/dampen the stress response that is at the crux of the archetypal panic attack. I never had these episodes when I regularly used tobacco, caffeine and 1mg per night cypro until I experienced several extreme acute stresses a few months apart while living alone in the middle of nowhere.

If anyone has any studies regarding tobacco/nicotine and the stress response I would be obliged!

Tarmander

yes nicotine will dampen the stress response overtime. In the short term it up regulates everything, and in the long term does the opposite. If you just google "is nicotine good for you," you can find a lot of different studies. I am doing a podcast on Nicotine at some point in January and Ill link you to it.

OP
A

aguineapig

yes nicotine will dampen the stress response overtime. In the short term it up regulates everything, and in the long term does the opposite. If you just google "is nicotine good for you," you can find a lot of different studies. I am doing a podcast on Nicotine at some point in January and Ill link you to it.

Thanks. Reading tobacco apologism is a favorite past time (I am Switzerland on the issue, and think harm reduced intakes like snus and nasal snuff are acceptable alternatives with reasonable risk and pretty much stop there).

If you come across any studies showing depressed adrenal response, for example, let me know. I collect studies like some collect dank memes...

Tarmander

Thanks. Reading tobacco apologism is a favorite past time (I am Switzerland on the issue, and think harm reduced intakes like snus and nasal snuff are acceptable alternatives with reasonable risk and pretty much stop there).

If you come across any studies showing depressed adrenal response, for example, let me know. I collect studies like some collect dank memes...
tobacco and nicotine are pretty different though. 90% of the risks associated with tobacco are removed if you just use nicotine

OP
A

aguineapig

tobacco and nicotine are pretty different though. 90% of the risks associated with tobacco are removed if you just use nicotine

Nasal snuff has been extensively used and documented for nearly 500 years, provides the broad spectrum of effects that pharmaceutical nicotine may not, and is just as safe used in reasonable amounts. Europe and the UK don't even sin tax the stuff after looking into it in the 70's. If one was going to use tobacco or nicotine it would be the "most" sensible option I think. Lovely hobby/habit also.

Tarmander

Nasal snuff has been extensively used and documented for nearly 500 years, provides the broad spectrum of effects that pharmaceutical nicotine may not, and is just as safe used in reasonable amounts. Europe and the UK don't even sin tax the stuff after looking into it in the 70's. If one was going to use tobacco or nicotine it would be the "most" sensible option I think. Lovely hobby/habit also.
lozenges and patches are alright too, although the patches leave spots on you and the lozenges sting your throat

RawEel

Please link me too! Amazing!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals