Does Cascara Suppress The Immune System?

Discussion in 'Cascara Sagrada' started by Tarmander, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Regina

Regina Member

Once again, thank you so much for your responses Haidut!!!
    I don't think my rat is having negative responses to taking the cascara capsules.
    It sure would be great to be able to track the various pro and anti-metabolic markers as we learn from our rat's experiences.
    I am keeping a neutral mind about how to think about cold/flu-like symptoms.
    I put 4 drops of metergoline on my rat since I last posted and had her take an aikido class. She coughed a few times but enjoyed class and had a lot of mat energy. She sang along in the car home feeling worked out but refreshed and liking her new training environment. Indeed, one of the rat's partners said , "whoa, maybe a little less caffeine before training?!?" He was laughing; it wasn't snarky.
    This same rat had gone to bed last night with the idea that it caught the cold/flu bug going around Chicago. The rat slept in and felt sorry for itself most the day. But such_saturation's brief missive re serotonin perked her experimental curiosity to snap out of it. C'mon rat, how would you feel with less serotonin?
    ha, well for whatever that update was worth....:think: :mytwocents (maybe less) :drinkingbuddies

I find I am guilty of thread bleed (cascara => metergoline) but, at the same time, everything seems to be pointing to the same thing. I apologize for getting off-topic.

2. bzmazu

bzmazu Member

3. Birdie

Birdie Member

It might be more clear if the title of this thread reflected a question rather than a statement that makes it sound like, well, what it says.
    I think that to people who haven't read the thread, this could be missleading. Maybe I'm the only one.

4. Mauritio

Mauritio Member

I have been taking activated charcoal and cascara for some time. Quite pleased with the results i have to say: AC seems to lower serotonin and calm me down before sleep and cascara makes me more happy and gets rid of brain fog.
    Casacara does seem to increase serotonin though . I am not sure it could also be symptoms of supressed liver . I become puffy , look more bloated start loosing hair a lot , hair also becomes dry and frizzy and my metabolism seems to slow down.
    I would guess cascara irritates the gut. Does it help to take it with food . I am taking 450 mg per day. Would love to continue taking it, but will stop if the serotonin symptoms wont go away...

5. Birdie

Birdie Member

It "seems to increase serotonin". Doesn't fit with Ray's research. But, what brand are you using? It's been a while since I looked into cascara, but I do recall that it needs to be aged, and that there is a good product from Italy...

6. Mauritio

Mauritio Member

it doesnt do it per se , i think it irritates the gut ,which releases serotonin.

7. Owen B

Owen B Member

Dave Foster found a study showing that steady use of cascara caused some kind of spots to occur in the intestines. Sorry I can't remember more but I seem to recall that the gist of the article was that it was not serious. But a lot of people report - including me - that steady use of it causes it to stop working.

Lapodin does not lose it's effectiveness for me but I only use a couple of drops orally 2-3 times a week. And it's a old bottle, maybe a year and half old. Taking Lapodin from a new bottle was very, very strong. Too much. I could only take it topically. It's very invigorating.

But I've stopped taking cascara. I have an unopened bottle in the closet.