Does Carrot/cooked ‘shrooms/bamboo Shoots Cause Anyone Bad Effects, Or Headaches

I’ve had these headaches for a long, long time.

I’ve always been prone to headaches. But especially now that i think about it, since I started adding psyllium, and now carrot/mushrooms/bamboo shoots to my diet.

I wonder if that is creating a high serotonin situation that leads to headaches.

Anyone else experience bad effects?

I’m not sure of this. I am still using the mushrooms or shoots (don’t like the carrot much). But maybe it is causing problems?

I cut it out for a week and the headaches may have been better.

boris

Usually it should have the opposite effect.
How much carrot did you eat? Do you wash the carrots well after slicing them to get the orange color out a bit? If you ate multiple carrots a day or other carotenoid containing foods during the day like sweet potato , the beta carotene could cause problems.

boris

Do you get organic mushrooms? Mushrooms and shoots can have pesticide residue.

Kvothe

I’ve always been prone to headaches. But especially now that i think about it, since I started adding psyllium, and now carrot/mushrooms/bamboo shoots to my diet.

I wonder if that is creating a high serotonin situation that leads to headaches.

I’m not sure of this. I am still using the mushrooms or shoots (don’t like the carrot much). But maybe it is causing problems?

If it is a really large carrot, the acute pressure in your gastrointestinal tract could trigger a headache. Another explanation might be the fiber's effect on blood sugar. Any indigestible fiber will also "sweep away" some food stuff and prevent it's absorption. I once got a hypoglycemic episode from eating a very large carrot about an hour after a carb-rich meal.

OP
ecstatichamster
Usually it should have the opposite effect.
How much carrot did you eat? Do you wash the carrots well after slicing them to get the orange color out a bit? If you ate multiple carrots a day or other carotenoid containing foods during the day like sweet potato , the beta carotene could cause problems.

these days it’s well cooked mushrooms finely ground, and ground bamboo shoots.

I no longer use the carrot. But it seems to all maybe, just maybe, be increasing serotonin...resulting in headaches. The only time in recent years I did not get headaches was when I started eating a Peat inspired diet, for about the first month.

boris

@Kvothe A carrot before bed would wake me up at night to eat. I make sure to get the insoluble fiber some time before a meal. Usually between breakfast and lunch.

@ecstatichamster I remember I had problems in the past with insoluble fiber, because I salted them to heavily which was hurting my gut resulting in serotonin symptoms. I salt the fiber very lightly now. And try to get more salt in other meals like soups which doesn't cause problems.

OP
ecstatichamster
@Kvothe A carrot before bed would wake me up at night to eat. I make sure to get the insoluble fiber some time before a meal. Usually between breakfast and lunch.

@ecstatichamster I remember I had problems in the past with insoluble fiber, because I salted them to heavily which was hurting my gut resulting in serotonin symptoms. I salt the fiber very lightly now. And try to get more salt in other meals like soups which doesn't cause problems.

I don’t heavily salt. And if I am correct in thus bring a cause, it happened when I used psyllium fiber. Without salt.

lvysaur

Another possibility is slight herxheimer reaction from bacterial die off.

L

Lord Cola

Have you tried having only carrot salad as your daily insoluble fiber for a few consecutive days? When I replaced carrot salad with mushrooms, I began to experience headaches after a while. The headaches disappeared about three days after I switched back to eating daily carrot salad, and avoided mushrooms. I think what happened with me was that mushrooms did not sufficiently work as intended, unlike carrot salad, and this led to an increase in gut bacteria.

I had headache a couple of times after carrot/CO/vinegar salad

boris

I don’t heavily salt. And if I am correct in thus bring a cause, it happened when I used psyllium fiber. Without salt.

I just googled psyllium fiber. The image of the intact husks in my gut gave me a latent anxiety/trypophobia attack :shock: :sick:.
2014-11-flohsamenschalen2.jpg
Did you use the powdered variety or the husks? Could you resolve your headaches?

Last edited:
OP
ecstatichamster
I haven’t used psyllium in years. I’m just documenting my journey. Lately I haven’t used shoots or shrooms either but I still have the headaches. This was and is still a hypothesis.

The image of the intact husks in my gut gave me a latent anxiety/trypophobia
May the tomato skin be with you.

Kunstruct

How are your muscles and bones in the cervical area? I seem to lately (this entire year especially) have constant pain in all kind of point in my upper back muscles no matter what I do and they would aggravate if doing much with those muscles. At some point I realized i could not do pushups anymore as I would get a lot of pressure on my eyes and my head started to hurt after lots of push up. Today I rather quit doing pushups as it only aggravates my headaches.
I seem to be heavily affect by draft winds as these create head aches, having something on my head and around my neck helps with not getting so strong headaches.
I do not see to get rid of the musles sores in my neck and full trapezoid area on the back, I have applied magnesium chloride oil, self massage and pretty much nothing helps.

Kunstruct

Sorry. I don't remember. But it was strong enough. Migraine type.

I have had this sort of headache by eating boiled carrots several times (around 250grams of carrots boiled), the pain started pretty much in around 30minutes, this rather made be not want to eat as many boiled carrots by their own, and for a while I have not even boiled any more carrots for myself.

Geronimo

I've found that the first usage of anything that is powerfully anti-estrogen triggers a migraine within 24 hours for me. This happened to me the first time I used: mangosteen, psyllium, high dose b-vitamins, and MK4.

After some research, it makes sense because women are more prone to migraines, especially around their menstrual periods, due to heavy fluctuations in hormonal levels. Mangosteen, psyllium (through binding, similar to carrots), high dose B's and raw carrots are all pretty well proven to drop estrogen levels.

Do you still get these? I experienced one of the worst "die offs" lately from using a carrot salad yesterday. For the first time, I added olive oil to my carrot salad ever, I always used acv, salt, and coconut oil befire. It started with a very intense headache, which led me to then start throwing up in the middle of the night lol.

I feel it is a die off reaction, due to the gut not being completely emptied. I started reading about olive oil and seeing how potent it was as an anti bacterial.

I'm going to drop it for a day or two then try again with a much lower dose of olive oil, but I felt very clear headed when I used the carrot salad immediately within 10 minutes. But I think has it moved down my body, it started to interact with some bugs... ?