Does Calcium Suppress Metabolism?

Nicholas

Derek said:
post 112748 calcium suppresses metabolism

do you think it's possible to crave calcium? whenever i get off milk (which i drink sparingly anyway) i end up craving it big time after 3 or 4 days. it's kind of like a lethargy sets in. if i could convince myself i don't really need milk, i would love to drop it - as it has too many conflicting variables and potential stressors for me to deal with right now as i'm endeavoring to hone in on developing health problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Derek

L-lysine - serotonin antagonist

Nicholas said:
post 112752
Derek said:
post 112748 calcium suppresses metabolism

do you think it's possible to crave calcium? whenever i get off milk (which i drink sparingly anyway) i end up craving it big time after 3 or 4 days. it's kind of like a lethargy sets in. if i could convince myself i don't really need milk, i would love to drop it - as it has too many conflicting variables and potential stressors for me to deal with right now as i'm endeavoring to hone in on developing health problems.

Potassium/Sodium are what makes the cells fluid and permeable. Potassium/Sodium are what sensitize the cells to all hormones, including thyroid. Potassium/Sodium, by keeping the cells permeable allow hormones to flow in and out of the cell. Calcium pushes Potassium/Sodium out of the cell. Calcium makes the cells rigid and less permeable, stopping them from properly utilizing hormones. That is how calcium suppresses thyroid at the cellular level. Calcium also opposes zinc which is the most pro thyroid mineral in general.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

L-lysine - serotonin antagonist

kineticz said:
post 112772 due to the reaction of the kidneys which reduce vitamin D to ensure that calcium is lowered

interesting......this might explain why someone might have low vit. D despite getting plenty of sunlight and eating foods with vitamin D?

Brian

It's very much dependent on one's cellular magnesium/sodium status in my experience. I've experienced both an increase and decrease in metabolism from high calcium intake and in my case it was definitely linked mostly to the state of my intracellular magnesium.

A few years ago I went hyperthyroid from too much iodine intake and depleted my magnesium to a high degree. After that I couldn't consume much calcium without crashing my metabolism until I focused heavily on building up my cellular sodium and magnesium levels and decreasing calcium through higher vitamin K blood levels.

Giraffe

J

jb116

In proper nutritional context, calcium will help metabolism. Calcium, much like sugar or salt, takes the blame for other imbalances or stressors roaming free.
Both estrogen and pufa will increase calcium uptake by cells creating an anti-metabolic scenario. Mineral balances take care of themselves when we have plenty of dairy and fruits, oj, etc. Calcium suppresses PTH, a major anti-metabolic and pro-inflammatory factor. We shouldn't limit calcium, we should ensure the balance of other minerals.

OP
Nicholas

Nicholas

[moderator edit: this post moved from Does high calcium intake deplete zinc?]

thank you. i don't recall where anyone said the peat diet was low in zinc, only that calcium IMBALANCES can suppress metabolism ....and also that calcium depletes zinc (which i appreciate the evidence you've supplied to counter this claim). Here is what Derek wrote:

"Potassium/Sodium are what makes the cells fluid and permeable. Potassium/Sodium are what sensitize the cells to all hormones, including thyroid. Potassium/Sodium, by keeping the cells permeable allow hormones to flow in and out of the cell. Calcium pushes Potassium/Sodium out of the cell. Calcium makes the cells rigid and less permeable, stopping them from properly utilizing hormones. That is how calcium suppresses thyroid at the cellular level."

I believe that the primary focus of the calcium problems brought up was its affect on the cell, with the zinc issue being kind of ancillary (though a bigger issue for kineticz). But Derek's post almost implies calcium being altogether bad (don't want to put words in his mouth).....after all, doesn't even bread have a significant amount of calcium? I think what he's really pointing out, though, is the BALANCE of calcium. The Peat diet (it does exist) is very high potassium and moderate sodium. It's also higher calcium than you would typically see recommended. I believe Peat recommends 2000mg/day. So in the end, i don't know if it's really all that imbalanced if you're looking at it on paper and using the Peat diet as your model diet.

Calcium is in everything, and high in many things which are not dairy. Fruits and roots tend to have much higher potassium than calcium, though roots significantly moreso. Vegetables are slightly more "balanced". The most "balanced" seems to be milk. But in the end, i don't really know what the ideal balance is on paper or what ratio the body typically prefers. Even if there were a study showing that answer, i would highly question its applicability to all people in their varying health states. So in the end, it all comes back to discovering these things out on your own with experimentation with food. The only thing which i have very clearly discovered for my own body about calcium is that if i eat a high phosphorous meal i do, without question, crave milk. Kineticz, who seems to have a high phosphorous diet also eats vegetables - i would assume for the same balancing factors.....not to mention the nutrients that he is focused on.

With all that said, i have found for myself that reducing the calcium rich proteins from my diet (which my body naturally arrived at) has so far not increased any cravings for them...in the amounts which i was previously eating them. I do feel that i am intuitively tapped into calcium/potassium/sodium balancing...and in my experience, potassium and sodium *do* seem to be the more important minerals and the more defined minerals which i consistently crave. and, interestingly, as calcium in my diet has decreased so has my craving for salt.

OrangeJuice

jb116 said:
In proper nutritional context, calcium will help metabolism. Calcium, much like sugar or salt, takes the blame for other imbalances or stressors roaming free.
Both estrogen and pufa will increase calcium uptake by cells creating an anti-metabolic scenario. Mineral balances take care of themselves when we have plenty of dairy and fruits, oj, etc. Calcium suppresses PTH, a major anti-metabolic and pro-inflammatory factor. We shouldn't limit calcium, we should ensure the balance of other minerals.

Thank you. You took the words right out my mouth. Nice summary.

RBTI proclaims that Calcium is the single most important mineral for a human. And there are numerous different types of Calcium compounds needed for nutritional balance.

From (http://www.brixman.com/calciums.html)
"The heart of the problem is that modern foods are so calcium-deficient that the mineral reserve of the body falls so low that it cannot easily maintain homeostasis. This was a key reason for Reams' strong stand that we "should eat the widest possible diet". His agricultural knowledge allowed him to see that a wider diet would bring a more balanced array of "calciums" into us. The other part of that suggestion was that he knew a wider diet would bring more of the 83 other needed minerals into our system. Although the preferred method of obtaining a sufficient mineral assay is to eat higher Brix foods..."

Hgreen56

Potassium/Sodium are what makes the cells fluid and permeable. Potassium/Sodium are what sensitize the cells to all hormones, including thyroid. Potassium/Sodium, by keeping the cells permeable allow hormones to flow in and out of the cell. Calcium pushes Potassium/Sodium out of the cell. Calcium makes the cells rigid and less permeable, stopping them from properly utilizing hormones. That is how calcium suppresses thyroid at the cellular level. Calcium also opposes zinc which is the most pro thyroid mineral in general.
Does this mean that when someone eat high calcium but not enough potassium with it, this cause water retention?
What is a good calcium/potassium ratio?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals