Does caffeine SERIOUSLY affecting me mean I have a lot of stress hormones?

ironfist

4oz cold brew before noon and I'm bouncing around and can't sleep.

I've normally been very sensitive to caffeine but even stronger recently.

Are you having a protein meal before having coffee with sugar and milk like Ray Peat suggests? It really makes a difference.

Vanset

Yeah same for me, I developed this hypersensitivity to many different things after a very stressful period. A cup of coffee at 8 am and I'm not sleeping even a minute and I go to bed at midnight.

Makrosky

It doesn't have to be the caffeine but can be other alkaloids on the coffee.

Yes after a stressful period the body is in a different state. Depleted and in a stress loop.

Anyway coffee/caffeine is a cheap stimulant. The slaves drug to be more productive and somehow happy.

I have gone about 2-3 months now without it and use it now only on special occasions.Like a drug.

I'll try to stay away from it as much as I can. It feels like getting out of a mental jail.

I find black tea much better. But it goes with the personality and the social circumstances. If I had to work like a donkey again I would have to go back to it.

Strange substance because it has a lot of beneficial compounds.

Strictly my personal point of view.

MarcelZD

To get some clarity you might want to test your CYP1A2 gene variants. It is possible you are a slow metaboliser of caffeine.

opethfeldt

Not necessarily. You may just have low levels of GABA that the caffeine exacerbates. It's a pretty strong GABA antagonist. I find l-theanine extremely effective for helping solve this problem. A 1:1 ratio of caffeine to theanine tends to work best for most people. If that doesn't fix it, I would guess your liver isn't in the greatest shape.

SamYo123

Not necessarily. You may just have low levels of GABA that the caffeine exacerbates. It's a pretty strong GABA antagonist. I find l-theanine extremely effective for helping solve this problem. A 1:1 ratio of caffeine to theanine tends to work best for most people. If that doesn't fix it, I would guess your liver isn't in the greatest shape.
But doesnt caffinee/coffee support the liver?

AlaskaJono

TCM style if the Liver is weak if fats cannot be processed easily, and also if one is 'stressed' then caffeine (or alcohol) is not processed so efficiently. So Acu, and herbal remedies can help. If one is stressed, then of course the liver organ (western style) is impacted also. Slower blood circulation, and hence slower normal hormonal and chemical metabolism.
Also hepato-protective nutriceuticals can help: Milk thistle seed extract, DL methionine, Quercetin, Bioflavanoids, and the Vit A, C E Zinc Selenium, etc.. . I can't get my favourite product (much), so I use fresh lamb liver for some of these nutrients. And Rutin/Hesperadin cheaper than the new famed (again- was big in the mid 90s) Quercetin.

I'm.No.One

Thanks for this, I went through a horrendous "safe" slow two year titration withdraw from benzos.

After that, for a long time, any amount of caffeine even in the smallest amount would destroy me.

My brain was already made accustomed to sky high GABA levels from a decade of benzos. So normal levels for my brain is already "low" in it's opinion 😅

I can now use small amounts of caffeine with protein, & IF I have a lot to do in the day. Like I need the physical activity to go alongside the caffeine or it does harm.

reality

I experienced the same, however interestingly since supplementing magnesium (+b1) again I am able to sleep and not have this effect.
I think magnesium deficiency can play a big role in this due to its effects on the CNS

Makrosky

Thanks for this, I went through a horrendous "safe" slow two year titration withdraw from benzos.

After that, for a long time, any amount of caffeine even in the smallest amount would destroy me.

My brain was already made accustomed to sky high GABA levels from a decade of benzos. So normal levels for my brain is already "low" in it's opinion 😅

I can now use small amounts of caffeine with protein, & IF I have a lot to do in the day. Like I need the physical activity to go alongside the caffeine or it does harm.
10 years of daily benzos?

I was using diazepam once x week or once every two/3 weeks for 3 years (aprox.) depending on stress levels and somehow I developed tolerance. The withdrawal was quite heavy, I wasn't expecting it from such a sparingly use. I even had hallucinations, thanks God I used psychedelics in the past and knew how to navigate those states, otherwise I could have ended up in the ER or a psychiatric ward. Luckily that heavy part only lasted a few days.

The benzos are more addictive than I thought (and I alread knew they are very addictive).

TheSir

I was using diazepam once x week or once every two/3 weeks for 3 years (aprox.) depending on stress levels and somehow I developed tolerance. The withdrawal was quite heavy, I wasn't expecting it from such a sparingly use. I even had hallucinations, thanks God I used psychedelics in the past and knew how to navigate those states, otherwise I could have ended up in the ER or a psychiatric ward. Luckily that heavy part only lasted a few days.

The benzos are more addictive than I thought (and I alread knew they are very addictive).
Diazepam can last in the body for up to 10 days, so once a week dosing would probably have a similar effect on the GABA system as being slightly drunk all the time. No wonder that the withdrawals can be so heavy.

Makrosky

Diazepam can last in the body for up to 10 days, so once a week dosing would probably have a similar effect on the GABA system as being slightly drunk all the time. No wonder that the withdrawals can be so heavy.
Oh! That explains then. Thought diazepam metabolites lasted max 3 days in the body. Super useful to know, thanks!

B

Blaze

The metabolizing of caffeine by the liver has a lot of variation a lot from individual to individual. My father could not drink 1 cup in the afternoon and sleep at night. I can have 2 cups 1 hour before bed and it does nothing. There is a gene , CYP1A2, which controls an enzyme – that controls how quickly our liver metabolizes the caffeine. The gene has at least 2 known variants, one variant is a faster metabolizer and the other is a slower metabolizer.

Last edited by a moderator:

InChristAlone

Take it up the butt! I can't handle coffee drinking, but I handle it just fine as a coffee enema. I know not the most wonderful thing to do, but it gives more of a gentle energy boost that is not so depleting and is cleansing to the body.

B

Blaze

Take it up the butt! I can't handle coffee drinking, but I handle it just fine as a coffee enema. I know not the most wonderful thing to do, but it gives more of a gentle energy boost that is not so depleting and is cleansing to the body.
Lol, I am resisting your well intentioned advice............. and will continue drinking it instead.

InChristAlone

Lol, I am resisting your advice............. and will continue drinking it instead.
That's fine, just thought I'd offer some help for those who don't tolerate drinking coffee.

I'm.No.One

I was prescribed them for C-PTSD.

But benzos aren't addictive, they're dependants.

Meaning when someone wants to quit it's the horrendous physical withdrawal that makes them continue not a craving like with something like opiates.