Does Caffeine Deplete Magnesium, Calcium And B Vitamins Or Cause Muscle Tension?

Does Caffeine cause muscle tension for you?

• Total voters
This belongs in the non-Peat section because he's never said anything of caffeine depleting Mg, Ca, and B vitamins.

Livestrong is not a reliable source of information as they do not provide references in any of their articles.

XPlus

It would seem fair to require more of these in return for increased metabolism.

Matt1951

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =128110552
500 mg of caffeine a day protects against Alzheimers.
"I drink five to six cups a day religiously," says Gary Arendash, a researcher at the Florida Alzheimer's Disease Research Center, part of Florida State University. Arendash says he's convinced that caffeine is protecting his brain."

Here is a large study from Finland:
Midlife coffee and tea drinking and the risk of late-life dementia: a population-based CAIDE study. - PubMed - NCBI

http://center4research.org/healthy-livi ... -benefits/
Caffeine has many other health benefits.

artist

I am continuing to wonder about the cost benefit analysis of drinking caffeine under different circumstances. I have found that my caffeine tolerance goes from non existent to fairly high (I had 600+ mg yesterday) in the presence of b vitamins which may mean that I am running low on them to begin with. I find that caffeine helps so much with mood that I can't give it up but also wonder if I would reap benefits from cessation

Giraffe

@ Parcifal:

I prefer studies over unreferenced articles in lifestyle magazines. Have you seen the many studies about the health benefits of coffee/caffeine posted in the forum?

As to the alledeged depletion of B vitamins caused by coffee's diuretic effect ...

Caffeine ingestion and fluid balance: a review.

"The most ecologically valid of the published studies offers no support for the suggestion that consumption of caffeine-containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle leads to fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested or is associated with poor hydration status."

NathanK

Actually, the fact caffeine chelates iron would likely mean is chelates other metals. I recall Mittir a while ago quoting Ray as saying as much too. Particularly from the liver. Ray from his article also mentions that coffe inhibits iron absorption. These are 2 different things.

Regardless, I think caffeine is a fairly weak chelator. Haidut once told me caffeine in high doses inhibits the enzyme that converts B6 to it's active P5P form. So, if you take high dose caffeine, take some P5P. If youre just drinking coffee, then remember that "coffee is more than just caffeine"...

fradon

caffiene interfers with acetlycholine if i remember...particularly cholinesterase...and can cause muscle stiffness and tension because of it.

Waynish

This belongs in the non-Peat section because he's never said anything of caffeine depleting Mg, Ca, and B vitamins.

Livestrong is not a reliable source of information as they do not provide references in any of their articles.

Is this really fair to say? Why do we have to be so dogmatic - unless you have a direct quote... Any of us could quote him - like quoting the bible - and argue about what God really means. For instance, he has explained that increased metabolism (which he believes caffeine causes) increases demand for nutrients.

BigBrain

yes it will cause depletion of magesium and calcium. I made the experience got heart palpitations of it and my bones near feets start to hurt really hard. Thats why most ppl drink coffe with milk to add the extra calcium.

But i got also all those symptoms with out coffe i think a extremely high metabolism requires from everything more

Fon

Is this really fair to say? Why do we have to be so dogmatic - unless you have a direct quote... Any of us could quote him - like quoting the bible - and argue about what God really means. For instance, he has explained that increased metabolism (which he believes caffeine causes) increases demand for nutrients.
Is this relevant? "Is really really fair to say" why would u even bother making that statement. And yes it is fair.

lvysaur

The side effects I've experienced from coffee (never took isolated caffeine) are muscle twitches, ocular pressure, bowel movements, and itching/burning hair follicles.

The bowel movement is the only consistent symptom. The others are come and go.

Effects of caffeine on bone and the calcium economy.
"The negative effect of caffeine on calcium absorption is small enough to be fully offset by as little as 1-2 tablespoons of milk. All of the observations implicating caffeine-containing beverages as a risk factor for osteoporosis have been made in populations consuming substantially less than optimal calcium intakes. There is no evidence that caffeine has any harmful effect on bone status or on the calcium economy in individuals who ingest the currently recommended daily allowances of calcium."

Excess consumption of coffee increases magnesium elimination in this study:
http://www.olivamine.com/sites/default/files/research/wide-mag-deficiency-path.pdf

"Mg levels are decreased by excess ethanol, salt, phosphoric acid (sodas) and coffee intake, by
profuse sweating, by intense, prolonged stress, by excessive menstruation and vaginal flux, by diuretics and other
drugs and by certain parasites (pinworms)"

Coffee Consumption and Circulating B-Vitamins in Healthy Middle-Aged Men and Women
"Results: Coffee consumption was dose-dependently associated with reduced plasma B-vitamin concentrations. Compared with coffee abstainers, individuals drinking ≥4 cups/day had 11.7% (P < 0.001), 14.1% (P < 0.001), and 5.5% (P = 0.01) lower plasma concentrations of folate, pyridoxal phosphate, and riboflavin, respectively, and the mean tHcy concentration was 6.8% (P < 0.001) higher."

Of course too much coffee will give me tense muscles and a very agitated mood.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals