Does Baking Soda As An Ingredient In A Baked Cookie Still Provide Bicarbonate Benefits?

RWilly

Do you think that baking soda as an ingredient in a baked cookie would still provide the benefits of bicarbonate?

Do you think that baking soda as an ingredient in a baked cookie would still provide the benefits of bicarbonate?

Not sure at all,but i know that the compound can react with lots of things,i wouldnt risk it,and take it instead seperate.

PopRBop

Yes/No/Sorta. But in a secondary, relatively ineffective way, assuming the benefits of bicarbonate you want are carbon dioxide, CO2.

Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) decomposes at temperatures above 180 degrees Fahrenheit ...
2 NaHCO3 → Na2CO3 + H2O + CO2

into Sodium Carbonate Na2CO3, water and CO2. It's one reason baking soda works as a leavening agent in baked goods (e.g. soda crackers). So, the baking soda loses *some* CO2 in the baking process due to heat. If you want to demonstrate this reaction, pour near boiling water in to a cup of baking soda and you'll see it rapidly fizz as it releases carbon dioxide.

However, the remaining sodium carbonate, Na2Co3, reacts with a variety of acids (HCL in the stomach, for example) to also produce CO2. In the case of HCL, you'll get...

Na2CO3 (s) + 2HCl (aq) → 2NaCl (aq) + CO2 (g) + H20

or, salt, carbon dioxide and water.

So, the answer is yes, but in a secondary reaction of the sodium carbonate with your stomach acid. But there is relatively little baking soda in any kind of cookie that would would be edible and tasty. And, CO2 in the stomach gets burped up more than it gets absorbed in any meaningful amount anyway. You'd surely get more CO2 in your tummy simply by drinking a coke or seltzer water than by eating baked goods with a small amount of residual sodium carbonate after being baked.

Buy who knows. You may find some zealous Peat fan making baking soda wafers soon in hopes of increasing their CO2 levels. Could probably do better just drinking baking soda in a glass of water. In fact, wash down those cookies with a glass of baking soda water and you'll increase your CO2 intake over the cookies alone as your stomach acid reacts with the baking soda directly to produce more CO2,

Last edited:
OP
RWilly

RWilly

Yes/No/Sorta. But in a secondary, relatively ineffective way, assuming the benefits of bicarbonate you want are carbon dioxide, CO2.

Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) decomposes at temperatures above 180 degrees Fahrenheit ...
2 NaHCO3 → Na2CO3 + H2O + CO2

into Sodium Carbonate Na2CO3, water and CO2. It's one reason baking soda works as a leavening agent in baked goods (e.g. soda crackers). So, the baking soda loses *some* CO2 in the baking process due to heat. If you want to demonstrate this reaction, pour near boiling water in to a cup of baking soda and you'll see it rapidly fizz as it releases carbon dioxide.

However, the remaining sodium carbonate, Na2Co3, reacts with a variety of acids (HCL in the stomach, for example) to also produce CO2. In the case of HCL, you'll get...

Na2CO3 (s) + 2HCl (aq) → 2NaCl (aq) + CO2 (g) + H20

or, salt, carbon dioxide and water.

So, the answer is yes, but in a secondary reaction of the sodium carbonate with your stomach acid. But there is relatively little baking soda in any kind of cookie that would would be edible and tasty. And, CO2 in the stomach gets burped up more than it gets absorbed in any meaningful amount anyway. You'd surely get more CO2 in your tummy simply by drinking a coke or seltzer water than by eating baked goods with a small amount of residual sodium carbonate after being baked.

Buy who knows. You may find some zealous Peat fan making baking soda wafers soon in hopes of increasing their CO2 levels. Could probably do better just drinking baking soda in a glass of water. In fact, wash down those cookies with a glass of baking soda water and you'll increase your CO2 intake over the cookies alone as your stomach acid reacts with the baking soda directly to produce more CO2,

Awesome! Thanks for the detailed information!!

OliviaD

Thank you!
I try to be so good, but publicly admit my one weakness is late night cookie binges. I have been justifying them as they help me get some milk in, which I have trouble drinking b/c I hate the taste. I dunk the cookies and the crumb-milk goes down much better.

Now, I can also use baking soda water as a dunking fluid, and wash my cookies down with some more CO2.

Now, I just need to make a healthy cookie recipe... I believe RP talked about some wheat germ and B1 biscuits he made for his Mexican students... hmmm.. add a bunch of sugar and some baking soda? I'm going to experiment! Can I cook with the B1 powder? Will it still be active?

Lilac

I find cookies and milk to be a powerful comfort food. I try not to indulge because of the possible weight gain, not for guilt about the ingredients. If you make your own with organic flour and sugar, best-quality eggs and butter, I wouldn't stress about it.

I remember an old thread where someone said pound cake really helped her metabolic issues. I sometimes wish I had never read that thread. I have no guilt whatsoever when faced with homemade pound cake. But what a calorie bomb!

OliviaD

I like your attitude!!!.. and I don't know your situation; but I hear people saying all the time that sometimes a little weight is not a bad thing!
Unfortunately I don't stress because of calories, I currently binge on store bought cookies that are full of PUFAs and other toxic crap. I'm desperately trying to heal my whacked out GI tract. I was seeing a TCM for acupuncture, and he always told me my cookies were saving me! I have been been really sick, lots of pain, little to no energy, I don't think I absorb much of my nutrients; I am 5/5" tall and weigh 97 lbs, up from 92 a year ago. He didn't help me, but finally I found RP that has brought me here, so I have some hope now.

It seems to be exactly what RP describes - it is late at night, I can't sleep, or I wake up in the middle of the night to eat 2 or 3 big cookies or 6-8 if they are smaller. My father gets mad b/c I eat his cookies, so then I have to buy more, so they are always around. During the day or earlier evening, I have no desire to eat the cookies. Just fascinating how it does fit with Ray's theory. It bothers me because I'm trying to avoid 'bad' ingredients and PUFAs. So I feel like an addict, that even knowing that, my desire for the cookies is so strong late at night, I don't care. At least I don't feel so bad about myself knowing perhaps my body really is desperate.

I think it is interesting that acupuncturist was right. I'm not sure if it was perfect advice.. but always told me to eat anything.. whatever I wanted; just eat! He was into soup because it would be easier to digest. I do agree with that, however he said just eat the canned stuff from the grocery store. I couldn't quite get on board with that when reading the ingredients; and I don't feel well enough or have the energy to make it, which would be ideal. So yes, homemade cookies would be great, but I have the same issue with that. I'm barely taking a shower, getting dressed, and doing what I have to do, I never have any left over energy to bake cookies, or even go get the ingredients. It really does sound pathetic.

I'm really praying that an RP inspired diet and some thyroid, and perhaps progesterone will help me have a little more energy, and then it will be easier to be healthy. It's a vicious cycle.. it takes a lot of mental energy also to try to learn all of this quickly, and frankly I'm really lost with how to use supplements like thyroid, progesterone and other things. I'm sure i'm depleted in everything. I wish RP still did consultations.

Anyway, I would be interested to hear other's thoughts on my cookie dilemma (even beyond the cookies): is it better to just eat the cookies, despite the negatives, because at least my body is getting some carbs and calories? i.e are crappy cookies better than nothing? I also sometimes eat oyster crackers and saltines, but they also have PUFA. Everything has PUFA!

I love lilacs, they are my favorite flowers!

Lilac

If you have to eat store-bought cookies, look for butter cookies at least. Danish butter cookies in the blue tin (make sure they are made in Denmark), Lu Schoolboys, Scottish shortbread are all available at Walmart. Trader Joe's has quite a few cookies made with butter, even some you might not expect--check the labels.

But I would go with homemade. Baking cookies is one of my favorites things to do.

OliviaD

Thanks! I have found the Scottish shortbread ones at the local grocery store. Thanks for the Trader Joe's tip. I don't have one near by but if I ever go on an outing I'll keep that in mind. I agree though - I hope to just get to making my own. I'm still curious about the RP wheat germ BI biscuit recipe.. many people ask about it here and other places and no one ever knows the answer :)