Does Aspirin Inhibit Mitochondrial Respiration?

Astolfo

I thought it was a pro-metabolic miracle drug as said my many members of the forum. I actually think about taking half a gram daily for my specific problem but now I doubt whether I should. Is it true that it damages mitochondria and cause oxidative stress?

Mitochondrial Disorders: Medicines to Avoid

Recoen

I thought it was a pro-metabolic miracle drug as said my many members of the forum. I actually think about taking half a gram daily for my specific problem but now I doubt whether I should. Is it true that it damages mitochondria and cause oxidative stress?

JBC : Journal of Biological Chemistry

Salicylate Enhances Necrosis and Apoptosis Mediated by the Mitochondrial Permeability Transition

The mechanism still isn’t understood for the mitochondria membrane permeability transitions. I think the dose is what’s important. Some seem to need glycine and maybe vit K2 with it too.

Astolfo

JBC : Journal of Biological Chemistry

Salicylate Enhances Necrosis and Apoptosis Mediated by the Mitochondrial Permeability Transition

The mechanism still isn’t understood for the mitochondria membrane permeability transitions. I think the dose is what’s important. Some seem to need glycine and maybe vit K2 with it too.
So it destroys mitochondria but most people including peat says it’s benefical and pro-metabolic? How is it so?

I’m not sure about k2 and glycine. I thought k2 is for blood clotting and glycine is for repleting stores, as the aspirin is a glycine receptor antagonist.

Recoen

So it destroys mitochondria but most people including peat says it’s benefical and pro-metabolic? How is it so?

I’m not sure about k2 and glycine. I thought k2 is for blood clotting and glycine is for repleting stores, as the aspirin is a glycine receptor antagonist.
Again, I think the dose is what’s important.

TheBeard

I've been reading all aspirin-related posts on this forum and asking myself the same question, hence why I haven't started taking it yet.

S-VV

Aspirin is a mitochondrial uncoupler, meaning it dissipates the proton gradient in the matrix of the mitochondria without generating ATP. This leads to a compensating increase in BMR, but potentially less ATP production.

It also inhibits FFA oxidation

S-VV

This is a great study:

The mechanism of inhibition of β-oxidation by aspirin metabolites in skin fibroblasts from Reye’s syndrome patients and controls - ScienceDirect

The effects of aspirin metabolites on β-oxidation were studied in skin fibroblasts from eight typical Reye’s syndrome (RS) patients and controls. RS patients’ cells did not differ from controls in rates of palmitateoxidation or in the three component activities of the mitochondrial trifunctional enzyme (MTE), indicating no inherited β-oxidation defect. Aspirin metabolites salicylate, hydroxyhippurate and gentisate, but not aspirin, directly inhibited palmitate oxidation in control and RS cells. RS cells were significantly more sensitive to inhibition than controls at 0.5 to 5 mM salicylate. Inhibition was concentration-dependent and reversible. Inhibition did not occur in fibroblasts lacking activity of the long-chain 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase (LCHAD) activity of MTE. Salicylate was therefore inhibiting β-oxidation at this step. Hydroxyhippurate and salicylate reversibly inhibited HAD activities in extracts of control and RS cells. Studies with pure short-chain HAD and LCHAD (MTE) showed hydroxyhippurate and salicylate were competitive inhibitors of the former but mixed (not competitive) inhibitors of the latter. Both compounds inhibited the combined, three-step, MTE reaction measured in the physiological direction. We conclude that (1) salicylate and hydroxyhippurate decrease β-oxidation in intact cells by reversible inhibition of LCHAD activity of the MTE, and (2) β-oxidation in RS cells is inherently more sensitive to inhibition by low concentrations of salicylate than controls.

S-VV

Here are some sweet pics of aspirin metabolites effect on palmitate (the most common saturated fatty acid in coconut oil) oxidation
1-s2.0-S0925443999000253-gr3.gif

1-s2.0-S0925443999000253-gr4.gif

It also nukes Long Chain Hydroxyacyl Dehydrogenase activity:
1-s2.0-S0925443999000253-gr5.gif

Astolfo

It's incredible how aspirin is in fact harms mitochondria while there are so many post on this forum saying the opposite. They recommending it for increased ATP production and mitochondria health. I can't even imagine how many more claims I had seen were wrong.

Peater

It's incredible how aspirin is in fact harms mitochondria while there are so many post on this forum saying the opposite. They recommending it for increased ATP production and mitochondria health. I can't even imagine how many more claims I had seen were wrong.

To be fair aspirin being good for weight loss was something "Everyone" knew - I'd seen it on muscle/body building forums, paleo...it was only here I ever saw a post that "Actually, it made me gain weight"

Jessie

This is just fortune cookie advice, not much else.

It's not even study, just a chart of medicine we're supposedly suppose to avoid with nothing to back it up.

J

jb116

:hilarious:

I don't believe aspirin hurts mitochondria. You can believe it if you want. Aspirin is amazing and I have had nothing but incredible experiences with it and have seen so many studies showing its benefits.

For example, aspirin consumption drastically lowers chances of getting CR cancer. It can stop or reverse prostate cancer and breast cancer. It can help remove fibrosis, detoxify the inflammation from PUFAs and so much, much much more.

It's ridiculous to throw out these kinds of statements as if suddenly aspirin is no good. Accuse me of all or nothing thinking if you will, but this exemplifies it.

Nothing is 100% great. Everything has good and bad. Aspirin is a strong drug. It will do some bad things. But in general it is the most amazing drug ever.

The 4 valuable medical health discoveries are

aspirin
insulin for diabetics
antibiotics
ER medicine

all the rest is pretty much rubbish.

Astolfo

@ecstatichamster I agree it has some benefits too, as I'm too taking it for a while and I have seen some minor changes. But studies openly talks about how it damages the mitochondria. Mitochondrial damage and thus low ATP is not something i would just ignore easily like any else side effects.

Btw, I'm taking 500-1000 mg daily and I wonder if it's definitely necessary to also supplement K2, C and glycine. Mitochondrial apoptosis is not the only problem it causes i guess. It also depletes vitamin C, K and Glycine.

@ecstatichamster I agree it has some benefits too, as I'm too taking it for a while and I have seen some minor changes. But studies openly talks about how it damages the mitochondria. Mitochondrial damage and thus low ATP is not something i would just ignore easily like any else side effects.

Btw, I'm taking 500-1000 mg daily and I wonder if it's definitely necessary to also supplement K2, C and glycine. Mitochondrial apoptosis is not the only problem it causes i guess. It also depletes vitamin C, K and Glycine.

I take it with C, K2 and collagen...