Does Aspirin Cause Permanent Hearing Loss And Tinnitus? If So, Why It's Still Being Promoted Here?

Astolfo

This:

Aspirin Activates AMPK - But What's the Minimum Effective Dose? - Supplements - LONGECITY

For what it's worth, regular intake of aspirin (and ibuprofen & acetaminophen) have recently been associated with permanent hearing loss, particularly in males and often at a young age.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2831770/

"During 369,079 person-years of follow-up, 3488 incident cases of hearing loss were reported. Regular use of each analgesic was independently associated with an increased risk of hearing loss. Multivariate-adjusted hazard ratios of hearing loss in regular users (2+ times/week) compared with men who used the specified analgesic <2 times/week were 1.12 (95% CI, 1.04–1.20) for aspirin, 1.21 (95% CI, 1.11–1.33) for NSAIDs, and 1.22 (95% CI, 1.07–1.39) for acetaminophen. For NSAIDs and acetaminophen, the risk increased with longer duration of regular use. The magnitude of the association was substantially higher in younger men. For men younger than age 50, the hazard ratio for hearing loss was 1.33 for regular aspirin use, 1.61 for NSAIDs, and 1.99 for acetaminophen.
Conclusions
Regular use of aspirin, NSAIDs, or acetaminophen increases the risk of hearing loss in men and the impact is larger on younger individuals.

---------------------------------

My girlfriend has taken an aspirin/acetaminophen/caffeine pain reliever fairly regularly for the last 30 years and now has substantial hearing loss that has seriously affected her life. I sometimes tease her about how many times she'll say "huh, what" during normal conversation, even in a quiet room. She also startles quite easily. She can't hear me moving around the house and about jumps out of her shoes when she comes around a corner and sees me in a room she isn't expecting to find me. She no longer appreciates music, & can't even hear something boiling over on the stove if she's not in the kitchen.

I've always shunned pain meds as they wreck my gut, and my hearing is so acute I can tell where the cat is sleeping at night as I can hear it breathing. This after attending dozens of rock concerts throughout the 70s, 80s & 90s, & smoking for over 40 years.

You never realize just how much mild to moderate hearing loss can truly affect quality of life unless you've lived with someone who can no longer hear even normal conversation. Something to consider when thinking about long term / regular use of ototoxic substances.

Some people, including me, got permanent tinnitus (mine increased) from aspirin. This substance is a known ototoxin, so why it's still being promoted here?

ddjd

taurine with k2 mk4 will reverse tinnitus from aspirin. ive personally experienced this

Don't know about the mechanism involved and I don't have personal experience with aspirin/tinnitus, but I had saved these links:

Glycine May Treat Hearing Issues Caused By NSAID (aspirin?)
It is common knowledge that several NASID drugs, including aspirin, cause hearing issues at higher doses. This new research found that the mechanism of action is by competition with chloride ions for activation of the hearing protein called prestin. This suggests a possible method of blocking and reversing the issue by either increasing the chloride ion supply through extra salt, or using supplements that activate the chloride channel. The most potent OTC supplement acting as chloride channel activator is glycine.​

Negative effects of aspirin may be due to glycine depletion
Some people have trouble taking aspirin even in small doses. Most often they get symptoms like tinnitus, GI discomfort, nervous system overexcitement, etc. It just happens that glycine (and also taurine) happen to help with all of these symptoms. So, I did some digging and it looks like aspirin may function like a non-specific "antagonist" to the glycine "receptor" and as such deplete glycine. Since glycine (and taurine) is an inhibitory neurotransmitter (independently of the conversion of glycine and taurine stimulating GABA release), glycine depletion by aspirin would explain the tinnitus and overexcitement of CNS.​

BearWithMe

This is exactly the reason I have stopped using aspirin. Sure, the benefits are amazing, but not worth the hearing loss by any stretch.

Last edited:

GreekDemiGod

taurine with k2 mk4 will reverse tinnitus from aspirin. ive personally experienced this
What about Kuinone form of K2?
I have not noticed side effects from Aspirin, except bloodshot eyes and minor nose bleedings. Nothing hearing-related.

mrchibbs

Georgi (haidut) has covered this. Aspirin depletes glycine, which causes the hearing loss. And people take it in too large doses.

Dissolving the aspirin in hot water by adding baking soda, letting it fizz out, and then adding gelatin, letting it fizz out as well, completely alleviates the problem.

I should know, I have developed hearing problems from health decline and exposure to loud noises.

If I take aspirin in small doses, with the proper precautions, I get no bad effects whatsoever.s

mrchibbs

I take 1 to 3 grams many days with K2 Mk4 and collagen and have no hearing issues.

And I think I've read that you've experienced hearing loss prior to this?
So again this indicates that aspirin is not dangerous to hearing, if done intelligently.

alephx

Oh thank you, this makes perfect sense with my experience! Though I didn't take aspiring very often, I had always wondered why after finding and eating in a peaty way, some days my hearing was particularly good. Like lower the car volume by half good. I understand now that it was the glycine in the grenetin I usually consume.

inthedark

When I first started using aspirin a lot as an adult for the reasons people here use it, it made my present tinnitus worse and didn’t seem to do much else so I stopped using it again. However I went back to it a couple years later and found it didn’t worsen or cause me tinnitus anymore -except in very high doses- and it has ended up being one of the most useful tools on my shelf. I think some differences are that I have taken vitamin k, glycine, and magnesium off and on for years now. In fact at this point I have almost no tinnitus most of the time. At times I have taken high doses of 3-4g a day for several days for sickness and as long as I have some vitamin k as well I have no issues. Like any other helpful supplement, aspirin is going to cause imbalances/deficiencies that will present problems if they aren’t addressed.

inthedark

I should add that I did suffer tinnitus and hearing loss in my late teens and twenties from exposure to very loud music and prolonged loud noises at work and though my hearing in some circumstances is not great, I have tested mostly average in workplace hearing tests in the last few years. And as I said, tinnitus is nearly gone. All this during the time I have taken the most aspirin.

mrchibbs

I should add that I did suffer tinnitus and hearing loss in my late teens and twenties from exposure to very loud music and prolonged loud noises at work and though my hearing in some circumstances is not great, I have tested mostly average in workplace hearing tests in the last few years. And as I said, tinnitus is nearly gone. All this during the time I have taken the most aspirin.

I'm in my late 20s and I have too damaged my hearing from loud noise and headphones particularly. I think when we're low thyroid we're more susceptible to damage because thyroid hormone is basically an antioxidant, and an optimal metabolism protects from the nefarious effect of ROS.

Aspirin is a great tool, but like other pharmaceutical, it's always a bit unnatural, especially in large doses, so it's bound to cause a reaction somewhere. It's still so safe and useful, that it would be folly to avoid it.

Bill Clark

About how much water? How much baking soda? Gelatin? Aspirin? Anybody ever reversed sudden hearing loss caused by respiratory illness? I lost hearing in my left ear about 17 years ago. It was not long after I had bought into the Fish Oil craze and had been taking it regularly for about a year.

mrchibbs

About how much water? How much baking soda? Gelatin? Aspirin? Anybody ever reversed sudden hearing loss caused by respiratory illness? I lost hearing in my left ear about 17 years ago. It was not long after I had bought into the Fish Oil craze and had been taking it regularly for about a year.

The fish oil is subject to oxidation and probably increased the ROS and free radicals involved in hearing loss. I'm not sure if it can be reversed, but there is some evidence of antioxidants like vitamin C, E and zinc/copper and magnesiums improving hearing. Pubmed research should return good results.

Just a little hot water in a glass, along with 500mg of aspirin and a 1/4tsp of baking soda, should dissolve all of the aspirin.

BearWithMe

Have you used some antibiotics during that respiratory illnes 17 years ago?