Does Anyone Know What To Take To Inhibit Tryptophan?

yoshiesque

Basically i have a sleep supplement that contains Phenibut and tryptophan. I really only got it for the phenibut but now i see that tryptophan is not good so if you know what inhibits it, that would be great!

Waremu

Ideally, you do not want to be taking things that have add tryptophan. If you have problems sleeping, then normalizing adrenalin, serotonin, and cortisol levels can help --- which means plenty of salt and sugar throughout the day and especially right before bed, with a meal. B vitamins also help. BCAA's can help reduce tryptophan absorption also. About 5 grams with a meal that contains protein like milk, etc. Don't take BCAA's alone. Calcium in milk and milk in general also helps limit the tryptophan.

natedawggh

Yeah you can't really inhibit it if you take it, these kinds of things aren't like "put one in, take one out." It's best to limit intake as much as possible, and in addition to taking as little as possible increase the antagonist substances to help heal the damage done by the inevitable and small amounts still present while limiting. If you're taking something with more of it on purpose you're just going to cause problems

jyb

You can't avoid it if you eat normal animal protein, but you can limit serotonin conversion. Conversion to serotonin or B3 is metabolism dependent.

I speculate that the serotonin problem is more likely during night time. Metabolism is lower, there is less light hitting the retina, all these things changes the metabolism as night approaches. In my experience protein digests much more easily during the day. And I think that's coherent with those studies showing protein is better used earlier in the day. I don't like going to bed with a protein meal in my stomach. No problem with fuel like fat keeping me happy in my sleep, but not a proper meal.

barbwirehouse

Waremu said:
Ideally, you do not want to be taking things that have add tryptophan. If you have problems sleeping, then normalizing adrenalin, serotonin, and cortisol levels can help --- which means plenty of salt and sugar throughout the day and especially right before bed, with a meal. B vitamins also help. BCAA's can help reduce tryptophan absorption also. About 5 grams with a meal that contains protein like milk, etc. Don't take BCAA's alone. Calcium in milk and milk in general also helps limit the tryptophan.

Are BCAAs safe? :?:

Waremu

barbwirehouse said:
Waremu said:

Are BCAAs safe? :?:

Yes, to my knowledge, BCAA's are pretty safe when taken with protein. Even milk has a decent amount of BCAA's. It's my fourth day taking BCAA's with each protein meal and the mental clarity and energy is very rewarding. I have also gained strength in the gym and get fatigued less.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Gelatin has decent bcaa content, lots of glycine and peat says its solid to take over the long haul unlike pure amines.

Travis

Phenibut is a synthetic GABA-analogue with side-effects. Why not take GABA itself?
The pharmacologist will tell us that it does not cross the BB Barrier, but some online testimony says otherwise.
The non-penetratability of GABA could be a myth to promote drug development and the GABA-analogues themselves.

Phenibut is GABA with a phenyl group attached. This makes it more hydropholic and increases it's ability to cross the BBB, but that is not to say that GABA cannot do it by itself. Ray Peat might know for sure?

Last edited: