Does Anyone Know Of A Source For Air-fried Pork Rinds/Chicharrones In The States?

jzeno

Mission and Bakenettes are the only two brands I can find and they don't explicitly say they are air-fried, baked, or popped so I presume they are cooked in vegetable oils.

Do you know of any pork rinds/chicharrones that are cooked with air or the fat of the pig and not PUFA oils?

Thanks in advance.

vulture

Mission and Bakenettes are the only two brands I can find and they don't explicitly say they are air-fried, baked, or popped so I presume they are cooked in vegetable oils.

Do you know of any pork rinds/chicharrones that are cooked with air or the fat of the pig and not PUFA oils?

Thanks in advance.
I’ve never seen chicharrones cooked in any oil, they pour so much that it’s unnecesasry

tankasnowgod

Thanks in advance.

They would explicitly state which oil (or what possible combination) when you look at the ingredients.

OP
jzeno

jzeno

They would explicitly state which oil (or what possible combination) when you look at the ingredients.

No, all they state is "pork rinds, salt" oddly enough. Not sure what to make of it. Perhaps I can write them to find out.

vulture

No, all they state is "pork rinds, salt" oddly enough. Not sure what to make of it. Perhaps I can write them to find out.
Good idea to say you are allergic to vegetable oils, this way they might take it more seriously

vulture

That means they don't use any oils.
Which to anyone who has made chicharrón knows that is innecessary. Pork skin loses so much oil after heating that few decades ago it was the main oil used to cook in several countries, but pigs fed with industrial stuff tend to give an oil that is whiter and ends up solidifying pretty fast with a disgusting flavor, pigs raised with natural feeding (corn, mandioc, yam, etc) gives you a real good oil, clearer and tastier

OP
jzeno

jzeno

Interesting. I was under the impression that the easiest method to make pork rinds was using oils.

Just to confirm, I'll send them an e-mail and share what I get back.

Thanks fellas.

Ktbridge

I found some at Costco ,huge container!
And Whole Foods has them.
If this helps.

OP
jzeno

jzeno

@vulture
@tankasnowgod

Update: You guys were right.

Frito Lays' product Baken-ets are cooked in their own fat and oil is not used to fry them. Confirmed via e-mail with Frito Lay. I tried to reach out to 2 others but their contact forms weren't working. One option is good enough for me. See below for e-mail and product packaging.

Annotation 2019-01-16 102252.jpg

028400026925.jpg

Last edited:

dfspcc20

Epic brand has some pork rinds that are supposedly baked:
Chili Lime Baked Rinds (4 pack)

I've tried them. Without much fat, they are difficult to swallow- literally. You'll need something nearby to drink as they feel like they dry up and get stuck in your throat.

I like both Epic and 4505 brand pork rinds (the "full fat" variety).

The advanced glycation end products in pork rinds is likely very high...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals