Does Anyone Know Anything About The "novel" Disinfectant Being Sprayed Throughout The World?

lampofred

I hope I'm not bordering on hysteria but...

I heard that something called "Accelerated" Hydrogen Peroxide is being sprayed everywhere to disinfect surfaces from the virus. It is produced by a company called Virox based in Canada, distributed by a company called Diversey, which is owned by Bain Capital.

The product's premise according to the website is that cleaning agents haven't really changed in decades (bleach, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, etc.) even though pathogens have been changing, so "Accelerated" Hydrogen Peroxide is the next generation of cleaning agents, different from all "typical" detergents with a novel formulation. They don't provide any information about what the extra ingredients aside from hydrogen peroxide are, except that they are "considered generally safe" by the EPA. Synthetic estrogens and things like DES were considered safe by the EPA, so "considered generally safe" is not reassuring at all.

Still, all the stuff about being a very "different" cleaning agent might have just been clever marketing, but what gave me pause was that they mention this product has not been tested for efficacy on the current coronavirus at all, and it has been approved by federal agencies solely on the basis of evidence that it is effective against "similar" viruses. However, since the gov's rationale behind the intense response to this year's coronavirus is that it's a "novel" strain, then how can they use a disinfectant that hasn't been tested on this "novel" strain and only on "similar" viruses? That's directly inconsistent. If it really is "novel" enough to warrant this intense response then merely testing the disinfectant on "similar" viruses isn't enough. If testing the disinfectant on "similar" viruses is enough, then this outbreak shouldn't have received anymore attention than the seasonal flu receives every year. Something doesn't add up.

Sounds like an elaborate scheme for Bain to make $$$ from selling detergent while poisoning people at the same time with who knows what corporate waste product is in that detergent.

tankasnowgod

I hope I'm not bordering on hysteria but...

The rest of the world seems to have crossed that border long ago, so if you are only at it, you can count yourself among the sane. For the record, I don't think you are on the border nor hysterical.

Still, all the stuff about being a very "different" cleaning agent might have just been clever marketing, but what gave me pause was that they mention this product has not been tested for efficacy on the current coronavirus at all, and it has been approved by federal agencies solely on the basis of evidence that it is effective against "similar" viruses. However, since the gov's rationale behind the intense response to this year's coronavirus is that it's a "novel" strain, then how can they use a disinfectant that hasn't been tested on this "novel" strain and only on "similar" viruses? That's directly inconsistent. If it really is "novel" enough to warrant this intense response then merely testing the disinfectant on "similar" viruses isn't enough. If testing the disinfectant on "similar" viruses is enough, then this outbreak shouldn't have received anymore attention than the seasonal flu receives every year. Something doesn't add up.

100% agree, and excellent reasoning. Something most certainly does not add up.

schultz

I think it has added surfactants. Would probably work quite well for viruses.

OP
L

lampofred

I found out it has phosphoric acid and phosphonic acid. Isn't phosphoric acid the basis of organophosphate nerve poisons?

yerrag

It was sprayed on my car as I entered my subdivision from a shopping run. I hosed it off immediately and I had to make sure I was for the first time wearing a mask while doing it.

SOMO

It was sprayed on my car as I entered my subdivision from a shopping run. I hosed it off immediately and I had to make sure I was for the first time wearing a mask while doing it.

Too bad you didn't take photos?

yerrag

Too bad you didn't take photos?
It would be better if I had an HPLC apparatus and a spectrophotometer with me. I had left those in my basement lol

SOMO

It would be better if I had an HPLC apparatus and a spectrophotometer with me. I had left those in my basement lol

I hope my post didn't come off as sarcastic. I was literally curious as to what this substance would look like.

Can you describe how it looked? Was it clear or opaque? Sticky, greasy, etc?

yerrag

No you weren't. I had no chance to look at the liquid as it's being sprayed from a colored backpack style sprayer. It leaves a transparent film that has no smell.

yerrag

I hope my post didn't come off as sarcastic. I was literally curious as to what this substance would look like.

Can you describe how it looked? Was it clear or opaque? Sticky, greasy, etc?
I asked the person spraying with an agricultural pesticide sprayer pack. He told me it's Zonrox, a local brand equivalent to Chlorox.