Does anyone know a good quality Olive oil brand that is not laced with PUFA-UK accessible?

Kimmy

My recommendation is California Olive Ranch Olive Oil. I have personally done a blind taste test in my home with 5-6 well-known brands available at supermarkets (I live in California), and ALL of them have a bitter aftertaste except for that one. Before doing this test, I honestly never liked the taste of olive oil because of the bitter aftertaste. I was eating olive oil for health reasons, but definitely not for the taste. However, California Olive Ranch brand changed my mind. I found out that good pure olive oil does not taste bitter!! There might be other brands out there, but here is what to look for: (1) A date when the oil was bottled AND an expiration date, (2) The olive oil should come from ONE source, not multiple. For example, there are name-brand olive oils out there that get their olive oils from several different countries (it will list the sources on the bottle). I've found that if I stick to those 2 rules, the olive oil is not bitter tasting. One more tip, if the olive oil is priced lower than other brands, it may not be the real deal. California Olive Ranch Olive Oil is more expensive than the other brands, but I trust the quality and know I'm getting the real deal. Hope that helps!

Doc Sandoz

My recommendation is California Olive Ranch Olive Oil. I have personally done a blind taste test in my home with 5-6 well-known brands available at supermarkets (I live in California), and ALL of them have a bitter aftertaste except for that one. Before doing this test, I honestly never liked the taste of olive oil because of the bitter aftertaste. I was eating olive oil for health reasons, but definitely not for the taste. However, California Olive Ranch brand changed my mind. I found out that good pure olive oil does not taste bitter!! There might be other brands out there, but here is what to look for: (1) A date when the oil was bottled AND an expiration date, (2) The olive oil should come from ONE source, not multiple. For example, there are name-brand olive oils out there that get their olive oils from several different countries (it will list the sources on the bottle). I've found that if I stick to those 2 rules, the olive oil is not bitter tasting. One more tip, if the olive oil is priced lower than other brands, it may not be the real deal. California Olive Ranch Olive Oil is more expensive than the other brands, but I trust the quality and know I'm getting the real deal. Hope that helps!
I note they have two types: the apparently pure California stuff and a cheaper "Destination Series" which is a blend of oils from different countries. As the latter is multiple source, you must be talking about their non Destination series stuff. I note on Amazon people are complaining of ordering the regular stuff and receiving the Destination series. Where do you source yours from?

Kimmy

I note they have two types: the apparently pure California stuff and a cheaper "Destination Series" which is a blend of oils from different countries. As the latter is multiple source, you must be talking about their non Destination series stuff. I note on Amazon people are complaining of ordering the regular stuff and receiving the Destination series. Where do you source yours from?
I buy it at my local Whole Foods store. Look for the "100% California Extra Virgin Olive Oil" bottle. They have a slightly less expensive version called "global blend". I have not personally tried that yet so I can't say how good/bad it tastes. I know the "100% California" version tastes good and will pay a little more for that one. Currently, Whole Foods has the "100% California" version on sale for Amazon Prime members for $19.79 (1 Liter bottle), and the "global blend" for $16.79. I will pay an extra $3 to get the olive oil from California.

Oh, I just remembered another tip when buying olive oil.... ALWAYS buy olive oils sold in a DARK GLASS container. Good quality olive oils are ALWAYS sold this way. BUT, this is not to imply that all olive oils in dark glass bottles are good. You still have to use the other tips I mentioned above, in addition to this tip.

My recommendation is California Olive Ranch Olive Oil. I have personally done a blind taste test in my home with 5-6 well-known brands available at supermarkets (I live in California), and ALL of them have a bitter aftertaste except for that one. Before doing this test, I honestly never liked the taste of olive oil because of the bitter aftertaste. I was eating olive oil for health reasons, but definitely not for the taste. However, California Olive Ranch brand changed my mind. I found out that good pure olive oil does not taste bitter!! There might be other brands out there, but here is what to look for: (1) A date when the oil was bottled AND an expiration date, (2) The olive oil should come from ONE source, not multiple. For example, there are name-brand olive oils out there that get their olive oils from several different countries (it will list the sources on the ottle). I've found that if I stick to those 2 rules, the olive oil is not bitter tasting. One more tip, if the olive oil is priced lower than other brands, it may not be the real deal. California Olive Ranch Olive Oil is more expensive than the other brands, but I trust the quality and know I'm getting the real deal. Hope that helps!
California Olive Ranch is what I use too. I love their fruity one, Arbequina! Olive oil needs to be in a dark bottle too.

Energizer

The labels don't mean much, they are just about worthless nowadays, especially "organic". What you want is for it to smell like real olives, and for it to solidify in the fridge. Good olive oil tastes good too obviously, it shouldn't taste bad. If it doesn't satisfy those requirements, it belongs in the trash. Test a few if you have to, or do some hunting for a local vineyard (as with most things, local is generally the best for quality). At least in the US, most olive oil brands are fake. Particularly the imported brands. There may also be gourmet olive oil shops you can patronize and test their products.

The labels don't mean much, they are just about worthless nowadays, especially "organic". What you want is for it to smell like real olives, and for it to solidify in the fridge. Good olive oil tastes good too obviously, it shouldn't taste bad. If it doesn't satisfy those requirements, it belongs in the trash. Test a few if you have to, or do some hunting for a local vineyard (as with most things, local is generally the best for quality). At least in the US, most olive oil brands are fake. Particularly the imported brands. There may also be gourmet olive oil shops you can patronize and test their products.
The first article I read that spoke about the bad oils that producers are legally allowed to use in what we think are suppose to be pure olive oils, mentioned California Ranch as being one that does not do that.

Energizer

The first article I read that spoke about the bad oils that producers are legally allowed to use in what we think are suppose to be pure olive oils, mentioned California Ranch as being one that does not do that.
Yeah, if it's from California, it's probably fine. Most of the fake stuff is imported.

Yeah, if it's from California, it's probably fine. Most of the fake stuff is imported.
I think small producers take more pride in purity, quality and taste like better wines. They should be pure, and California has a lot of them! Big companies like what you see on all, but the top shelf of the grocery are gonna be suspect.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom