Does Anyone Here Eat Wheat

redlight

Wheat as part of your diet?

Im thinking about including some wheat back into my diet.

I don't stress out about it. I don't eat it as a rule. But white bread seems to be okay. Whole wheat is very problematic for me.

I eat some good bread now and then and don't worry about it.

PhilParma

What is "good bread?" Okay, it's white, and I'm assuming no added iron or pufa oils, but anything else? Where do you get such bread?

FredSonoma

Every day, almost every meal. I went traditional Peat route first too, months of no starch, etc.

Xisca

I will never reintroduce it!
Some other cereals yes, gluten no.
I am not celiac but.... NO!
Too much risks of damage to the small intestine. I was relieved of gut irritation and nervousness by leaving gluten. I can eat some and nothing happens, but I cannot go for it more than as an exception.

poilochio

I eat hamburgers every weekend but during the week pretty much gluten free

jyb

I don't mind the traditionally prepared sourdough bread or pizza, once in a while. I read that good sourdough fermentation kills the gluten and anti-nutrient content of white wheat. In any case, it seems to me fine to digest. A few on this forum have written anecdotes on sourdough preparations. I also eat buckwheat pancakes occasionally. Buckwheat is gluten free but again, I ferment it anyway. Good thing about buckwheat is that it does not have iron and vitamins added, as the law only applies to white wheat. It is possible to find white wheat without added stuff, but much more difficult.

That said, I would never eat conventional bread or pizza.

Last edited:

Morning Star

I make whole wheat quick breads, muffins or biscuits for almost every meal now. 1/3 cup of flour, maple syrup, pinch of salt, tiny bit of aluminum free baking powder, teaspoon of ghee, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, fennel, coriander, raisins or dried cranberries, and a splash of whole milk. Bakes in about 12 min at 425. I enjoy it it with a glass of warm milk. I find Wheat to be uniquely satisfying and satiating, physically as well as psychologically. It helps me stay full between meals and to sleep through the night without needing to wake up for a snack.

M

member 2106

I generally try to avoid it, but sometimes convenience trumps all, so I have a little bit of "good bread" or pasta and enjoy it. It seems to be quite an irritant for me, and many others.

paymanz

yes , white bread.

not first choice but when you dont have access to good quality juice and fruit, its very easy to use.

And it makes meats, eggs ,cheese tastier.

I think even ray agrees that wheat is much better than no carb when no other source is around! But of curse celiac sufferers are exceptions.

Gl;itch.e

I found a good Lebanese bread here which has virtually nothing except flour, water, salt. Its multipurpose and I have no issues with it. zero pufa. I don't think its even fortified with iron or anything.

CoolTweetPete

The talking head nutrition "experts" like to talk about gluten being toxic and gliadin crossing the blood brain barrier. I have found that it's probably not much more than a gut irritant for me so I limit my consumption and havr a carrot after to keep it moving.

Dr Peat has said it cross reacts with the enzyme class transglutaminase. Not sure what that means physiologically.

Transglutaminase - Wikipedia

Giraffe

I read that good sourdough fermentation kills the gluten and anti-nutrient content of white wheat.
The word gluten comes from glue, and this is what gives bread the elasticity. Without gluten you would get a hard flat cake. There is definitely gluten in sourdough.

tankasnowgod

Yes, I do personally. I try to get refined white bread that hasn't been fortified with iron. Trader Joe's has some nice pastas, pizzas, and pastries imported from places like France and Italy that don't fortify their bread, and I have zero issues with those products. I always check the label, and avoid anything enriched.

I'll also eat bread at restaurants, though I know that probably has iron in it. I tend to notice some bloating or transient weight gain afterwards, but it's not a huge deal, if I keep it to once a week or so.

dbh25

Introduce it again, and see how you feel. I only have bread or pasta on occasion, I wouldn't call it a staple food. (I have it sometimes at restaurants, never from the grocery store)

jyb

The word gluten comes from glue, and this is what gives bread the elasticity. Without gluten you would get a hard flat cake. There is definitely gluten in sourdough.

What about gluten-free breads or studies about fermentation breaking down gluten? Of course there may still be lots of gluten left at the bakery's sourdough... It depends how it is prepared.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I pulled an old loaf of commercial gluten free bread out of my freezer and this is what they put in it to replace the gluten (to make it more doughy): xantham gum, sodium alginate, guar gum, and locust bean gum. But it's not fortified.
If a person doesn't have celiac disease and they want bread they might be better off with good quality sourdough.:confused2

tara

I've been eating some again for the last while, after avoiding for many years. I'm not sure that it's good for me, but I can't resist at the moment, and if it's causing harm it's not obviously different from when I wasn't eating it.

I bake my own bread with a very simple recipe inspired by SuQ's in the recipe section. White, unfortified flour, leavened with yeast for 18-36 hrs to help make it more digestible, and with oyster shell powder added to help balance the phosporus. It takes planning ahead the day before you want it, but the prep is easy and forgiving. It's not a big part of my day's food, but I've been eating some most days. Occasionally other wheaty foods for social reasons, but not often or much.

I pulled an old loaf of commercial gluten free bread out of my freezer and this is what they put in it to replace the gluten (to make it more doughy): xantham gum, sodium alginate, guar gum, and locust bean gum. But it's not fortified.
There are some awful gluten free loaves here too - guar gum etc seem to be common in food labelled gluten-free. But I've also come a cross some glued together with tapioca starch or similar.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals