Does anyone have problem with thyroid absorbtion when taken with calcium meal?

FitnessMike

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I don't know. I just always take my thyroid with food (and calcium) and adjust dosage accordingly.

mostlylurking

I had a problem with reacting badly to milk if drinking it within an hour after taking my prescription desiccated thyroid in the fall of 2020. It felt like I had completely blocked the thyroid med. This issue lasted for around 18 months. I've taken a prescription thyroid supplement for over 40 years. Never had this problem before fall of 2020. Now I no longer have the problem.

Fall of 2020 was when I was very sick because Bactrim antibiotic had blocked my thiamine function. I started taking a higher dose thiamine at that time. I am still taking high dose thiamine hcl and recently I've noticed that taking ground eggshells shortly after taking the thyroid med does not negatively affect me so I think that I could probably again drink milk after the thyroid med again with no issue (but I haven't done so). I do drink quite a bit of milk throughout the day.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

I had a problem with reacting badly to milk if drinking it within an hour after taking my prescription desiccated thyroid in the fall of 2020. It felt like I had completely blocked the thyroid med. This issue lasted for around 18 months. I've taken a prescription thyroid supplement for over 40 years. Never had this problem before fall of 2020. Now I no longer have the problem.

Fall of 2020 was when I was very sick because Bactrim antibiotic had blocked my thiamine function. I started taking a higher dose thiamine at that time. I am still taking high dose thiamine hcl and recently I've noticed that taking ground eggshells shortly after taking the thyroid med does not negatively affect me so I think that I could probably again drink milk after the thyroid med again with no issue (but I haven't done so). I do drink quite a bit of milk throughout the day.
oh well, from tomorrow i will using milk only in the evening away from NDT then, porridge and smoothie with water, oh well.

Im trying to find out whether milk being quite alcaline substance, could lower stomach acid and thats why it disturbed your thyroid absorbtion

mostlylurking

oh well, from tomorrow i will using milk only in the evening away from NDT then, porridge and smoothie with water, oh well.

Im trying to find out whether milk being quite alcaline substance, could lower stomach acid and thats why it disturbed your thyroid absorbtion
Here's an article about thyroid and calcium. The reason why I reintroduced ground eggshells into my supplement program a few months ago is because my blood calcium tested high and my endocrinologist was concerned about it. I'm hoping that the addition of 2 grams of ground eggshell/day will make my parathyroid happy so it will stop spitting out parathyroid hormone (which leaches calcium out of the bones).

I think that this is a pretty complicated topic. Ray Peat has an article about calcium here and another one here. The issue of phosphate in relation to calcium is important. After reading up on the different ideas about how far to space calcium intake from thyroid medication, I decided to go with the one that said spacing it an hour apart was good. Even though I planned to only wait an hour, the change in my routine messed up my consumption of calcium vs phosphate (muscle meat). I'm now trying to get back into my old routine of mainly eating dairy and gelatin and only eating muscle meat rarely and in small portions.

I have Crohn's disease and I am mostly symptom free for 3 years but when I take thyroid while drinking milk (anytime during the day) I start bleeding after going to the bathroom and I also have this brain "blood thinning" feeling which usually also lead to bleeding (Like I have with aspirin or VIT E, VIT D etc].

I actually think it's because thyroid lowers PTH which is necessary to activate 1,25D in order to absorb the calcium and if your intestines are in any way impaired or damaged taking thyroid to lower PTH/125D would impair calcium absorption (which at that point is mostly relient on 1,25D and PTH) and mess up with homeostasis.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals