Does Anyone Else Love Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice?

jzeno

I used to buy processed OJ until I heard OJ should be sweet and not sour. I tried squeezing my own and have never looked back.

Orange juice has to be like the perfect thirst quenching food/high sugar food source. I love it.

Never had freshly squeezed stuff until Ray Peat and I love it.

I used to like coconut water but relative to OJ it's sugar content is so low that I crave all the sugar in OJ. just one glass is so satisfying whereas I can drink a lot of coconut water and never get as satisfied.

No wonder Ray loves OJ. It's such a great food when balanced with other things like protein, veggies, etc.

Anyone else learn they love OJ because of Peat?

theLaw

I've tried every brand I could find at my local stores, and none (including Matt's organic pulp free) were sweet.

I also tried the Publix brand organic pulp free,and it was sweet one week, and then sour the next, so no consistency.

Sad that it's so hard to find the real thing.:banghead:

EJG2112

Since Matt's Organic went to a slightly smaller bottle, a few months ago, I think it tastes quite sweet. It was the best I could find before then, but I think it's even better now. The last 2-3 times I have bought navel oranges at the store, they were not sweet at all and not very juicy. In my case, Matt's is my #1 option, unless I go to several stores, in search of better oranges, and even then, some shipments of oranges will be better than others. Of course, if you are able to locate some fresh, ripe oranges and juice them yourself, nothing is going to beat that.

Yes. Years ago, I thought orange juice was just "sugar water" but of course it is high in vitamin c, magnesium, potassium, folate, B1, etc. My skin is noticeably better when I'm drinking a glass of OJ every day.

TripleOG

Yea, it's dramatically different from pasteurized sources. Trader Joe's fresh squeezed the best value I can find.

Entropy

Can't beat it!

I was testing a bunch of store bought OJ brands when I had a cold in London, but decided to try the freshly squeeze OJ from this glass automatic orange juicer machine at a cafe stall I then immediately felt the healing and nourishing affects. Literally felt my body was recovering on the spot, so I decided to drink more fresh squeeze the following days until most of the cold symptoms fade.

I didn't even care that it cost 6 pounds, I finally understood what the ray peat hype was with fresh orange juice.

Also the taste is amazing, the sweet taste from the natural sugars in oranges hits all the spots.

L

Lord Cola

I love freshly squeezed orange juice when it's made from ripe oranges. But they're nearly impossible to find right now. And every commercial orange juice I've tried is worse than drinking nothing at all. I crave sweet orange juice every day.

Runenight201

2.99 Minute Maid OJ is just as good freshly squeezed for me. Perhaps my taste buds have been permanently altered to the times, as peat states in one of his articles.

Runenight201

Peat talks about your taste buds in his newsletter???

Imprecise use of language noted! My English teachers would be rolling over in their seats!

Im referring to his meat article where he stated that people began preferring the altered meat as opposed to the fresh, unaltered meat.

LUH 3417

Valencia oranges are very good. Trader Joe’s tangerine juice is sweet and sour. Sometimes it makes me have acid reflux though.

Imprecise use of language noted! My English teachers would be rolling over in their seats!

Im referring to his meat article where he stated that people began preferring the altered meat as opposed to the fresh, unaltered meat.

I know - just a funny!

managing

In some cultures its a staple. Mexico and France are places I've traveled where it is everywhwere.

We have a motorized juicer ($50) and it takes 5 min to squeeze a glass. Buy oranges at a local food service supply store. Case of 113 count Valencia oranges will last a couple of weeks. Gotta have an extra fridge to store them in. I once did a cost analysis and its is MOL the same $$$ as Costco Organic OJ. Soooo much better although slightly more time consuming.

The only other thing that comes close to making me feel that good is fresh squeezed sugar cane juice (guarapo).

Around here nearly all the supermarkets have a machine, but the regular price is €3.20-3.50 per litre :( I shouldn't complain; I once saw German supermarket Edeka offer a fresh pressed litre for €5.00.

Price aside, I would drink it more often if I was less concerned about body composition because it's the best tasting drink I have ever had.

Inaut

I’ve probably gone through 50lbs of oranges in the last two weeks in Greece (which I’ve juiced). All from local farmers.

Nothing more refreshing. I’m considering moving here just for the sunshine, OJ and the ocean.

❤️

docall18

I can get freshly squeezed orange juice at a local store. Sometimes its amazing but sometimes it sour, depending on the oranges that are on hand for juicing.

Would adding baking soda prevent the sour OJ causing stomach irritation?

managing

I can get freshly squeezed orange juice at a local store. Sometimes its amazing but sometimes it sour, depending on the oranges that are on hand for juicing.

Would adding baking soda prevent the sour OJ causing stomach irritation?
Probably would help. This year's early season oranges were horribly underripe. I quit buying them. I would start again, but prices have gone sky high. A box I was buying for $17 6 months ago is now $30.