Does Anyone Eat Indian Or Thai Food?

I_am

PUFA or no PUFA I will not give up my Palak Paneer, Shahi Paneer , Shrimp Curry, or Shrimp Tom Kha. Iowa Winter is hard enough to get through as it is, although this year it's been scarily mild.

lvysaur

Does milk and saffron count as Indian food?

I eat Thai food, and occasionally Indian "curry-type" food, or a Tandoori/kabob dish.

OP
I_am

I_am

Does milk and saffron count as Indian food?

I eat Thai food, and occasionally Indian "curry-type" food, or a Tandoori/kabob dish.

I imagine Saffron technically could be? :-P Actually I think it's Persian,..have you had Shahi Paneer?

lvysaur

I actually don't know what that is, or what differentiates/defines it. I've had palak paneer though.

OP
I_am

I_am

I imagine Saffron technically could be? :p Actually I think it's Persian,..have you had Shahi Paneer?

I ask because I think it's pretty awesome and I wish everyone could experience it.

OP
I_am

I_am

I actually don't know what that is, or what differentiates/defines it. I've had palak paneer though.

Oh okay, it's a creamy tomato based gravy dish with finely chopped cashews, spices and chunks of paneer cheese (like in the Palak you've have I would presume).

lvysaur

The thing with all those curries is that their taste depends very acutely on the balance of spices, and a lot of places use store-bought mixes, or make their own variant with extra stuff. So something can taste great somewhere, but taste awful somewhere else.

I guess that goes for all cooking, but I've found it to be especially true of Indian food.

Herbie

I make Thai if I crave it, I went to a thai cooking classes when I was in Thailand a few years ago.

I just use coconut oil instead of peanut oil and get the cleanest oyster and fish sauce I can find and use japanese soy sauce (kikkoman)

OP
I_am

I_am

I eat it all the time. But only homemade. Can't go out to these pufa palaces.

See, I cook many of the items I love at home too, but the one's I mentioned I just CAN"T get right, not like they do it. They won't tell me what I am missing either..I know I am close, but the consistency is always off, or just slightly off taste. Veggie Korma, Shrimp green curry, byrani's are all a piece of cake to make at home in my opinion, but there are just that handful I can't replicate...oh and also the Naan bread, can't do it at home either, need a tandoori to do it right I believe.

OP
I_am

I_am

The thing with all those curries is that their taste depends very acutely on the balance of spices, and a lot of places use store-bought mixes, or make their own variant with extra stuff. So something can taste great somewhere, but taste awful somewhere else.

I guess that goes for all cooking, but I've found it to be especially true of Indian food.

Yea I get that, I've never been to India/Pakistan, but the people around here that have, swear this place is authentic (same with Thai place not far from me). They seem to know their stuff, I don't want to come off wrong, but it seems their people are constantly in there (which is a good sign right?) and also Arab's flock to the place, granted it is the only place of it's kind around, actually the best in the state yelpers have said. Not that I trust yelp all that much, read some pretty dark stuff about them.

I've been in their kitchen and regularly observe them cooking and preparing and it appears mostly from scratch,...I'm sure there are things they use that I just don't want to know about, probably not all ghee and coconut oil like I am hoping, more like canola oil and cheap oils :-/ Another reason to avoid oily type dishes, I do my best :-P

See, I cook many of the items I love at home too, but the one's I mentioned I just CAN"T get right, not like they do it. They won't tell me what I am missing either..I know I am close, but the consistency is always off, or just slightly off taste. Veggie Korma, Shrimp green curry, byrani's are all a piece of cake to make at home in my opinion, but there are just that handful I can't replicate...oh and also the Naan bread, can't do it at home either, need a tandoori to do it right I believe.

i've made perfect naan at home, you don't need a tandoori, just a pizza stone. The secret is the dough has a bit of yogurt added to it...

SQu

But only homemade. Can't go out to these pufa palaces.
Exactly!

See, I cook many of the items I love at home too, but the one's I mentioned I just CAN"T get right, not like they do it. They won't tell me what I am missing either..
And ... Exactly! Last winter I had the brilliant idea that curries could be the way to get slow cooked gelatin rich meals that nobody is yet tired of not even me; that don't taste overcooked; that kind of thing. I made many recipes from a great cookbook. They were nice ... But to be honest not nice enough to be worth the effort. At least some of the problem is that familiarity breeds contempt, or a familiar cook breeds contempt, or a familiar cook's food all has a certain sameness to it that I'm struggling to put my finger on ...You do tire of home cooking, not anything like as fast as any other kind but in the end you do.

Fractality

Many Thai desserts have sugar and cocnut as their main ingredients (and not much else).

Waynish

I think they're both great - but the modern versions of each just use a lot of veggie oil... But it does seem like the original versions of Thai and Indian used coconut oil and ghee, respectively, to cook in. Any evidence to the contrary?

I have found that every recipe can be made better at home. Coconut oil and ghee are fine, and you don't need very much. Recipes tend to use way too much.

Samya

I love Indian food. I tend to go for the coconut or butter based curries to avoid the veggie oils.

I also usually have potatoes as a starchy base instead of rice as I prefer the texture and they're more filling and nutritious.

jpgio

I think lamb curry or Rogan Josh with basmati rice would not be too unhealthy of a meal if it were made with ghee and not PUFA vegetable oils. If there only were a restaurant near me that prepared it like that I would probably be there a few times a week lol.

(Pic is of our local Indian restaurant and it’s absolutely amazing) (I’ve never asked what they use for oil so I just pretend it’s ghee when I got there lol)

Attachments

• 7985F740-F93D-41DB-B47F-18C2DDF74D66.jpeg
    7985F740-F93D-41DB-B47F-18C2DDF74D66.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 45