Does Anybody Else Experience Significant Mood Changes On High (er) Fat Diet?

Uselis

Out of curiosity is this also case for you?

Whenever I switch from local raw goat milk (trustable source) to store bought 2.5% cows milk these changes happen:

Store milk: hearing becomes more all inclusive, my smell is back, joyfull and lighter sense of body.

Raw (or pasteurized on my own) : mood goes way down, senses become much more limited, breathing pattern changes, urge to dominate lol, irritation, body feels heavy.

It's kind of a bummer because goat milk tastes amazing for me. It builds muscle much faster and allows me to get away with less sleep. I also rrcover from physically demanding job quicker. No bloating and leaner face.

On the other hand store milk bloats me a bit, definitely makes me feel less androgenic but more "spiritual".

No other changes in diet or lifestyle just rotation between two different milks.

The only reason I can see is much higher fat content per almost a gallon. I often pasteurize raw goat milk myself but results pretty similar to what I'd get from drinking it raw.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It could also (or instead) be the difference in the proteins. Travis wrote extensively on the subject. I’ll find some links.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Jägerstad cited Swiatlo, who had determined the folate binding capacity of lypholized milk powder. This takes into account all three subtypes—i.e. α, β, and γ—of bovine and caprine folate receptors present. Since we are concerned with FRα because its found on the placenta and choroid plexus, the Ramaekers data should be considered more important for that reason alone. Ramaekers had also used whole milk.

Now assuming that both cow and goats' milk has equivalent proportions of all three subtypes—e.g. ¹⁄₃FRα, ¹⁄₃FRβ, and ¹⁄₃FRγ—and that these are exclusively responsible for the total folate binding capacity, the fact that Swiatlo's data had been expressed per unit mass lypholized milk powder means that less can be said of the whole milk in which it'd been derived. In the case of lypholized milk powder, the total folate binding capacity would reflect the ratio of all folate binding proteins to unevaporated solids. Both cow and goats' milk have near-identical protein∶fat ratios (Barłowska, 2011) so that's not a factor, yet this could be explained by folate affinity to unspecified proteins or a higher FR(β+γ)∶FRα ratio in goats. For immunological purposes, concentrations determined using ELISA towards the one specific protein of concern are indicated; the folate binding capacity used in nutritional research means little in comparison, for reasons outlined above.

Ramaeker's data had been expressed as FRα per unit volume milk while Swiatlo's data had been expressed as folate binding capacity per gram lypholized milk powder. When I say something to the effect of 'goats milk has a lower concentration of FRα,' I certainly don't mean simply that 'dry milk powder from goats binds more folate than from cows.

OP
U

Uselis

Have you considered your negative symptoms could be "withdrawals" from the opiates of the cows milk? I experienced exactly the same situation when I made the switch from cows milk to goats milk. As Blossom said, Travis's posts cover this in incredible detail.

Milk Addiction - Withdrawal Is Real & Measurable

It happens relatively quickly after ingesting goat's milk. Too early for withdrawals to happen I guess since I'd still drink leftovers of cow milk early in yhe morning.

I wonder if Ray ever mentioned opiate effect. Wouldn't withdrawals simply mean gut bacteria changes after stopping particular food?

OP
U

Uselis

Thanks for your time. I gotta admit I understood very little Unfortunately not my level of scientific interpretation skills ha ha.

What I think I do understand Mr Travis saying is that goats milk might be harder to digest vs cows? While mainstream info would say otherwise. In fact thats the reason I switched to goats milk: supposedly much easier digestion.

Maljam

Thanks for your time. I gotta admit I understood very little Unfortunately not my level of scientific interpretation skills ha ha.

What I think I do understand Mr Travis saying is that goats milk might be harder to digest vs cows? While mainstream info would say otherwise. In fact thats the reason I switched to goats milk: supposedly much easier digestion.

Where did Travis say goats milk would be harder to digest than cows milk?

Every single item of food you eat or stop eating alters your gut bacteria, Travis's posts explain it far better than I do, but when opiates are involved it effects hormones such as prolactin and dopamine. When comparing cows milk vs goats milk it doesn't make sense for just the gut bacteria to be responsible.

The Travis Corner

Peat has mentioned before he doesn't think much of the opiate theory because robust digestion breaks down the proteins in cows milk to prevent issues from occurring. IMO this is an oversight by Peat, he constantly talks about people with poor digestion, and how people are becoming less healthy, but when it comes to the topic of cows milk he starts his argument on the basis that everyone has good digestion. Someone with strong, robust digestion would have no problems with cows milk, but how many people have that these days?

Blossom

Forum Supporter

I had a couple years where I could only tolerate goat dairy. I still tolerate it better but I think it’s due to the protein rather than the fat in my case. When Travis wrote about goat v cow dairy the take away I got was that certain cow milk proteins can interfere with folate utilization & cause some people issues. It takes a lot of time to comb through his posts and digest everything but if you have the time I think it’s at least worth reading the thread @Maljam linked.

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States
I had a couple years where I could only tolerate goat dairy. I still tolerate it better but I think it’s due to the protein rather than the fat in my case. When Travis wrote about goat v cow dairy the take away I got was that certain cow milk proteins can interfere with folate utilization & cause some people issues. It takes a lot of time to comb through his posts and digest everything but if you have the time I think it’s at least worth reading the thread @Maljam linked.

I'm really skeptical that lactose is the culprit in most lactose-intolerant people. I've tried A2, goats, lactose-free milk with my family and my mom and sister react poorly to all of those, whereas I handle it well in general and digest it more easily than just about anything else if I heat the milk to body temperature or slightly hotter... I know that goats milk is supposed to be better for a variety of reasons but it slows me down quite a bit unless i get it raw which is odd

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I'm really skeptical that lactose is the culprit in most lactose-intolerant people. I've tried A2, goats, lactose-free milk with my family and my mom and sister react poorly to all of those, whereas I handle it well in general and digest it more easily than just about anything else if I heat the milk to body temperature or slightly hotter... I know that goats milk is supposed to be better for a variety of reasons but it slows me down quite a bit unless i get it raw which is odd
Yes, there seems to be some individual variables like gut health, the state of a person’s metabolism. I’ve definitely had varying tolerance over the years.

Jennifer

My mood suffers with full-fat dairy versus low-fat dairy. Ray told me that dairy fat can be hard for some people to digest so he suggested low-fat dairy and it has worked the best for me, doesn’t matter the source. I’ve tried cow (even A2), goat and buffalo and the only difference came down to the fat content. If you know it’s the fat that’s the culprit, you could remove some of it — some of the fat in the goat’s milk will separate even after pasteurization or you could invest in a cream separator. That was my plan before discovering SIBO and poor thyroid function were the reasons I was having issues with dairy overall.

Last edited:

Korven

My mood suffers with full-fat dairy versus low-fat dairy. Ray told me that dairy fat can be hard for some people to digest so he suggested low-fat dairy and it has worked the best for me, doesn’t matter the source. I’ve tried cow (even A2), goat and buffalo and the only difference came down to the fat content. If you know it’s the fat that’s the culprit, you could remove some of it — some of the fat in the goat’s milk will separate even after pasteurization or you could invest in a cream separator. That was my plan before discovering SIBO and poor thyroid function were the reasons I was having issues with dairy overall.

I have the same experience with drinking full-fat milk (4.2-4.5% fat). I get the "dairy opiate syndrome", grumpiness, low motivation, just feeling overall weird and like I want to go hide in my room all day.

However when I get raw milk and skim off all the fat, then boil it with ginger and cardamom I feel stronger, nourished and motivated. I think the devil is in the details when it comes to making dairy work!

edit: Also milk works best for me eaten on its own as a meal, no mixing with fruit.

Jennifer

However when I get raw milk and skim off all the fat, then boil it with ginger and cardamom I feel stronger, nourished and motivated.
Ooh...that sounds yummy! I’m going to try that, maybe with a little cinnamon added. Thanks for the idea! :)

Korven

Ooh...that sounds yummy! I’m going to try that, maybe with a little cinnamon added. Thanks for the idea! :)

Yummy indeed! Seems like most spices go along very well with milk: saffron, ginger, turmeric, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves... Maybe I'll try adding all of them in:D

Jessie

I'm not really sold on the idea of the "opioids" in milk. And besides, those are more related to the proteins then the milk fat. So I would definitely agree the protein itself is the culprit if this is the underlying cause. However, if you do better with low-fat milk then it's definitely not these alleged "opioids" causing you problems. Because they're in low-fat milk too.

If the high fat is bothering you, then it's definitely associated with the insulin/leptin imbalance. High fat diets have been repeatedly proven to cause leptin resistance, and this can make you irritable, frequently hungry, bad mood, hypoglycemic, etc.

lvysaur

I'm really skeptical that lactose is the culprit in most lactose-intolerant people.
lactose intolerance is often the result of an overexcited system.

I've experienced this very consistently. In a calm relaxed state, my skull is more brachycephalic, with a reduced occipital protuberance, and a less "urgent" sex drive, as well as being less scatterbrained. During these phases, milk tastes sweeter and digestion is good. I also crave heavier substantial or "Tamasic" foods (ruminant meat, toasted bread, caramel, brown sugar, butter)

In an "excited" state, all of these are reversed. Milk (the same exact brand and even from the same exact carton) tastes flat and unappealing, and causes slight pockets of gas upon consumption. I only crave light and addicting foods (chicken, whitefish, rice, oils)

Excitation shuts down your general ability to digest. It's brought on by stress, but also by exciting foods (anything high umami, possibly excess salt, possibly excess acid, but definitely the umami/savory foods). It's shut down by magnesium and zinc, possibly potassium as well. Consuming coconut water regularly really helps for me, probably for this reason. Lactose is probably a "heavier" sugar than sucrose/others, which is why it is difficult to digest for many in the first place, so it gets compromised first.

OP
U

Uselis

Where did Travis say goats milk would be harder to digest than cows milk?

Every single item of food you eat or stop eating alters your gut bacteria, Travis's posts explain it far better than I do, but when opiates are involved it effects hormones such as prolactin and dopamine. When comparing cows milk vs goats milk it doesn't make sense for just the gut bacteria to be responsible.

The Travis Corner

Peat has mentioned before he doesn't think much of the opiate theory because robust digestion breaks down the proteins in cows milk to prevent issues from occurring. IMO this is an oversight by Peat, he constantly talks about people with poor digestion, and how people are becoming less healthy, but when it comes to the topic of cows milk he starts his argument on the basis that everyone has good digestion. Someone with strong, robust digestion would have no problems with cows milk, but how many people have that these days?

Yeah my bad, that's what happens when trying to guess what you don't understand at all lol.

Digestion part so true. People like Tesla praised raw milk as superfood and I personally know couple elders around here that gets confused look on their face if you mention boiling milk. Their gut condition is probably way more robust as a result of environment. Actually my stepfathers dad is in his 70s and still drinks raw cows milk as a main food staple but another guy in his 50s whos city dweller can't tolerate milk anymore at all. According to him once he moved out of village he couldn't handle milk anymore.

OP
U

Uselis

FWIW cold milk from fridge (unless it's really hot outside) makes me feel worse then raw milk. I accidentally stumbled on some Ayurveda stuff that says milk should be only drank warm or room temperature.

OP
U

Uselis

Are you fine now regards issues? I ll keep drinking store milk I guess. Even cheap stuff which is 1% doesn't bother me seemingly.