Does Anybody Else Experience Significant Mood Changes On High (er) Fat Diet?

OP
U

Uselis

I have the same experience with drinking full-fat milk (4.2-4.5% fat). I get the "dairy opiate syndrome", grumpiness, low motivation, just feeling overall weird and like I want to go hide in my room all day.

However when I get raw milk and skim off all the fat, then boil it with ginger and cardamom I feel stronger, nourished and motivated. I think the devil is in the details when it comes to making dairy work!

edit: Also milk works best for me eaten on its own as a meal, no mixing with fruit.

Lol, described my symptoms to a T! Fortunately strong black coffee fixes this issue quick but if I keep drinking raw milk even several cups can send me down for full day.

gaze

lactose intolerance is often the result of an overexcited system.

I've experienced this very consistently. In a calm relaxed state, my skull is more brachycephalic, with a reduced occipital protuberance, and a less "urgent" sex drive, as well as being less scatterbrained. During these phases, milk tastes sweeter and digestion is good. I also crave heavier substantial or "Tamasic" foods (ruminant meat, toasted bread, caramel, brown sugar, butter)

In an "excited" state, all of these are reversed. Milk (the same exact brand and even from the same exact carton) tastes flat and unappealing, and causes slight pockets of gas upon consumption. I only crave light and addicting foods (chicken, whitefish, rice, oils)

Excitation shuts down your general ability to digest. It's brought on by stress, but also by exciting foods (anything high umami, possibly excess salt, possibly excess acid, but definitely the umami/savory foods). It's shut down by magnesium and zinc, possibly potassium as well. Consuming coconut water regularly really helps for me, probably for this reason. Lactose is probably a "heavier" sugar than sucrose/others, which is why it is difficult to digest for many in the first place, so it gets compromised first.

could you give some examples of umami peaty food?

OP
U

Uselis

Maybe your allergic to alfalfa, which many goats are fed

I don't know guy who has goats lets them roam freely so its only grass and occassionally beets when goats manage to sneak into neighbours territory ha ha.

OP
U

Uselis

I'm not really sold on the idea of the "opioids" in milk. And besides, those are more related to the proteins then the milk fat. So I would definitely agree the protein itself is the culprit if this is the underlying cause. However, if you do better with low-fat milk then it's definitely not these alleged "opioids" causing you problems. Because they're in low-fat milk too.

If the high fat is bothering you, then it's definitely associated with the insulin/leptin imbalance. High fat diets have been repeatedly proven to cause leptin resistance, and this can make you irritable, frequently hungry, bad mood, hypoglycemic, etc.

Yup exactly my symptoms. On lower fat milk (and diet overall) I feel almost like more alive.

lvysaur

could you give some examples of umami peaty food?
I don't think there are any. Here are the umami foods I've had that cause me problems:
- baby oyster mushrooms
- torula yeast (really bad offender in potato chips)
- worcestershire sauce
- soy sauce
- MSG
- tomato sauce (if thick and reduced)
- parmesan (and likely most aged cheeses)
- most likely any other "meaty" tasting condiment (miso, gochujang, fish sauce)

Peat recommends mushrooms AFAIK, but this umami quality is only a problem in baby oyster mushrooms (and possibly adult ones). White button/criminis don't have the problem.

my stepfathers dad is in his 70s and still drinks raw cows milk as a main food staple but another guy in his 50s whos city dweller can't tolerate milk anymore at all. According to him once he moved out of village he couldn't handle milk anymore.
Stimulating life leading to lowered digestive functions, IMO. No such thing as a free lunch, you can use energy on digestion or on your surroundings, but the latter comes at the expense of the former.

Last edited:

gaze

I don't think there are any. Here are the umami foods I've had that cause me problems:
- baby oyster mushrooms
- torula yeast (really bad offender in potato chips)
- worcestershire sauce
- soy sauce
- MSG
- tomato sauce (if thick and reduced)
- most likely any other "meaty" tasting condiment (miso, gochujang, fish sauce)

Peat recommends mushrooms AFAIK, but this umami quality is only a problem in baby oyster mushrooms (and possibly adult ones). White button/criminis don't have the problem.

interesting. Even a bite of tomato sauce with citric acid in it can put me in the exited state the next day. The only peat food I’m cautious about is low-fat milk, I always suspect there’s some form of excitotoxin in the added vitamins, although I can’t really tell from how I feel. Some websites claim that low fat milk is reconstituted with milk powder which can have free glutamate, although free glutamate balanced by other aminos doesnt concern Me as much as extracted glutamate

lvysaur

Even a bite of tomato sauce with citric acid in it can put me in the exited state the next day.
Yeah definitely, I get this too. Fresh tomatoes seem to be okay, and if I eat really thin tomato sauce, and a very small portion of it, it's also okay. (angel hair is good for this b/c of the surface area:volume ratio, lots of flavor with small amount of sauce)

Oh yeah, parmesan is also bad, I'll edit that in. Most aged cheeses are likely bad.

I actually had a bit of Thai curry 2 days ago, which put me into a loop that I'm just recovering from now. I'd been great for 3 weeks prior to that. The culprit was fish sauce, I think this stuff is even worse than soy sauce--I can usually get away with a few drops of soy on something.

Virtually all of these high umami foods are also highly processed/fermented (even if the processing is traditional). Some people just can't handle these foods. Ray has an article with something to the effect of "some english guy wondered why it was good form to eat aged cheese/meat but not aged fish, so he forced himself to eat aged fish and he eventually started enjoying it." Which of course proves that aged cheese/meat, and "acquired" tastes in general, are also generally unhealthy.

Last edited:

Jennifer

Are you fine now regards issues? I ll keep drinking store milk I guess. Even cheap stuff which is 1% doesn't bother me seemingly.
Yep! I tolerate dairy better than most food now and it makes up the majority of my diet. When I had SIBO, raw and cultured dairy (and all fermented food) were the worst for me due to the bacteria adding to my pre-existing overgrowth. At that point, I tolerated ultra-pasteurized the best. Now I buy from a local farm so I can see for myself that the calves stay with their mothers and the herd is well cared for overall but in terms of the quality, I think even cheap milk if well tolerated is better than the majority of food.