Does Activated Charcoal Change The PH Of The Stomach/digestive Tract?

Waynish

Some of the benefits that set in immediately lead me to believe at least some of its action is an immediate chemical change - it seems too fast for the effect to be do to reduction in toxins. Thoughts?

Lurker

I’m not sure the mechanism but I agree that the effects do seem almost instantaneous. It works that’s the important thing. I’m not sure if granular is any different because I’ve been taking it every other day on a schedule but the powder seems to provide clarity immediately for acute overwhelming stress/anger.

OP
W

Waynish

Yes it is important that it works, but I would argue that the mechanism is very important too.

tara

If the charcoal adsorbs whatever is in the gut, then it might affect the gut pH by adsorbing something there that had a high or low pH?

OP
W

Waynish

If the charcoal adsorbs whatever is in the gut, then it might affect the gut pH by adsorbing something there that had a high or low pH?

Maybe, but you'd think a biochemist has run the experiments on this stuff... Maybe not! Need to do more searching on pubmed for it - anyone know what a full comparison of absorption rates and effects of charcoal would be called? Let's start with the endogenous substances it binds to and reduces most - not to mention all of the exogenous stuff that we're eating.

tara

Maybe, but you'd think a biochemist has run the experiments on this stuff... Maybe not! Need to do more searching on pubmed for it - anyone know what a full comparison of absorption rates and effects of charcoal would be called? Let's start with the endogenous substances it binds to and reduces most - not to mention all of the exogenous stuff that we're eating.
Make researchers happy by funding an indefinite number of studies ...

You think rapidly reducing toxin load could not have quick effects?

I think it is used as one of the first aid tools in hospitals for poisonings, food poisoning, gut infections, etc, amongst other things.

OP
W

Waynish

Make researchers happy by funding an indefinite number of studies ...

You think rapidly reducing toxin load could not have quick effects?

I think it is used as one of the first aid tools in hospitals for poisonings, food poisoning, gut infections, etc, amongst other things.

Sure, but that doesn't mean it is healthy to use more than rarely. If that's all there has been studies by the scientific method. I don't disbelieve in all science... I work to see through studies effectively, as does Peat.

So charcoal reduces the metabolic rate of all toxins, but never "good things"?

tara

Sure, but that doesn't mean it is healthy to use more than rarely.
I agree, and nor does Peat recommend it be used frequently except in particular circumstances. He recommends daily carrot salad or similar for most people.

If that's all there has been studies by the scientific method. I don't disbelieve in all science... I work to see through studies effectively, as does Peat.
I'm very much in favour of good scientific studies, including on charcoal. I just thought the scope of your suggestions seemed overwhelming. :) I thought you were suggesting that there should be studies of the pH effects of swallowing charcoal in all the permutations of ingesting it with every kind and combination of other food, and in various states of health producing various endogenous substances, to see what effect it had on various body pH levels etc ... Compared with suitable controls ...

So charcoal reduces the metabolic rate of all toxins, but never "good things"?
No, IIUC, AC doesn't reduce the metabolic rate of toxins, it removes some of the toxin itself from the gut before it can be absorbed (or in some cases, reabsorbed). And yes, it absolutely can do the same with beneficial substances as well as toxins, which is another good reason to not use it all the time, and especially to not use it in conjunction with important nutrition, because it can steal your nutrients. It can adsorb very many different substances.

OP
W

Waynish

I agree, and nor does Peat recommend it be used frequently except in particular circumstances. He recommends daily carrot salad or similar for most people.

No, IIUC, AC doesn't reduce the metabolic rate of toxins, it removes some of the toxin itself from the gut before it can be absorbed (or in some cases, reabsorbed). And yes, it absolutely can do the same with beneficial substances as well as toxins, which is another good reason to not use it all the time, and especially to not use it in conjunction with important nutrition, because it can steal your nutrients. It can adsorb very many different substances.

I agree, but isn't binding to things before they can react basically the same as 'reducing metabolic rate'? They can't metabolize if they're deactivated or sequestered.

tara

I agree, but isn't binding to things before they can react basically the same as 'reducing metabolic rate'? I've seen arguments and evidence for and against the essentiality of very small amounts of DHA or it's precursor, at a level, that I am not currently qualified to assess.
Not the way I understand the phrase. To me, 'slow down' is quite different from 'remove altogether'. Removed or not entered into the system at all, so not metabolised at all.

OP
W

Waynish

Not the way I understand the phrase. To me, 'slow down' is quite different from 'remove altogether'. Removed or not entered into the system at all, so not metabolised at all.

Well they're certainly metabolized in the stomach & mouth before interacting with the activated charcoal... Unless you're mixing the charcoal in your mouth with foods and supplements :)
Anyway, I'm just trying to instill the impression that AC needs to be studied more and isn't as straight forward as the layman's "it binds to bad stuff but not good stuff" saying.

tara

Well they're certainly metabolized in the stomach & mouth before interacting with the activated charcoal... Unless you're mixing the charcoal in your mouth with foods and supplements :)
I guess that's a different understanding of metabolise than mine. Interact in the mouth and gut, yes.
Anyway, I'm just trying to instill the impression that AC needs to be studied more and isn't as straight forward as the layman's "it binds to bad stuff but not good stuff" saying.
I wasn't aware there were laymen who thought this, until you raised the possibility. I think it's a good idea for lay people to get informed on known information about mechanisms, risks and benefits before experimenting with supplements.
And I'm sure there is a case for more study about the effects of AC too, but not necessarily needed to dispel that particular error.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals