Does A Low-Fat Diet Lower Free Fatty Acids?

Discussion in 'Macros & Micros' started by Kasra, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Kasra

Kasra Member

I've found some evidence that high-fat diets can increase fasting serum FFA, but surprisingly little on the effect of low-fat diets.

Any insight on this?

2. jaguar43

jaguar43 Member

Not always. High estrogen, growth hormone, and prolactin can increase free fatty acids. So basically being stressed will elevated free fatty acids even with a low fat diet.

3. jyb

jyb Member

Release of FFA in times of stress doesn't serve the same role as fasting FFA (emergency response vs energy supply). The diet will decide the amount of latter I'm guessing, it's a choice you make depending on what foods or supplements you take, but I'm not sure about the former.

4. kiran

kiran Member

What's considered a high-fat diet? You got a link?

I ask because Im feeling a bit better after increasing the fat content of my diet.

5. OP
    Kasra

Kasra Member

Here, 10 men were given a 60% fat diet (up from 30%) for a week and their average fasting FFAs increased from 251 to 334 μM/L.

Here, obese subject who were instructed to eat a very-low-carbohydrate diet (<20 g/day) had a substantial increase in 24h plasma FFAs.

Here, 10 trained athletes had no difference in plasma FFAs when switched between a 17% and 41% fat diet.

Here, 10 men who were fed a 50% fat diet (up from 35%) had no change in fasting FFAs.

Here, rats on a high-fat diet (42% energy) had about twice the plasma FFA concentration of rats on a standard diet (12.5% energy from fat.)

Here, rats fed a chow diet (10% energy from fat) had higher plasma FFAs than rats fed a safflower oil-based high-fat diet (59% energy from fat.)

I realize none of that paints a coherent picture.

6. johns74

johns74 Member

so the question is, what level of fat intake (and maybe other factors) minimize free fatty acids?

7. jaguar43

jaguar43 Member

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/diabetes.shtml
    http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/diabetes.shtml

I think it would depend on your stored fats if you would want to lower free fatty acids using a low-fat diet. However other hormonal conditions could elevate your FFA's as well.

8. kiran

kiran Member

So a high fat diet would approximately be between 50-60% for man. Coherent enough.

9. paymanz

paymanz Member

Connective tissue that surrounded the fat cells,the quality of extracellular matrix of fat tissue may have a role in how easy it releases FFA?!

Pure speculation!!

Btw the original topic of this thread is very interesting... Bad it didn't get a conclusion!