Doc Agitated When Requested Prolactin Test

Pomarańcz

To be specific, my gastroenterologist got pissed and ridiculed me (Doc: "you're not making any sense" and "It won't tell you anything").

SO I will have to buy the test myself AND find a new doctor.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've noticed some other forum members have the same experience with their doctors. My endocrinologist told me in 2007 when he discovered my prolactinoma that 20% of the population had this type of 'benign' pituitary tumour and that the cause was unknown. After I discovered Peat's work I was able to understand more about why I probably developed the tumour in the first place. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like the medical field in general has a good understanding of prolactin. Good luck with your testing. If you are in the U.S. it's fairly easy to get the lab done through an online service.

So what exactly an answer were you expecting here?

thegiantess

I don't even bother. I just go straight to direct labs for my blood test. I prefer to not beat my head against a wall.

GAF

I think everyone on this forum that has really good insurance should go to the doctor as often as possible for two reasons.

1. So we can read the funny stories.

2. So you can have fun doing the opposite of what the doctor orders.

Remember, always be extremely serious when at the doctors office and listen intently. Hidden recordings are great too. That way we get exact quotes.

OP
Pomarańcz

Pomarańcz

Your response: "False! It'll tell me what my prolactin level is!"
My response: "Is it too expensive?" Doc stumbles around muttering something and then leaves. I wasn't planning on debating modern medicine.
I've noticed some other forum members have the same experience with their doctors. My endocrinologist told me in 2007 when he discovered my prolactinoma that 20% of the population had this type of 'benign' pituitary tumour and that the cause was unknown. After I discovered Peat's work I was able to understand more about why I probably developed the tumour in the first place. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like the medical field in general has a good understanding of prolactin. Good luck with your testing. If you are in the U.S. it's fairly easy to get the lab done through an online service.
Yes! I think there are some sites that offer DIY tests and the process is simple. Have you a history of constant migraines?

So what exactly an answer were you expecting here?
I expected mild resistance.

I don't even bother. I just go straight to direct labs for my blood test. I prefer to not beat my head against a wall.
I agree with you. However, I was expecting a prolactin test covered by my insurance while at the doctors office. It probably didn't help that earlier, I refused to get a colonoscopy done. Doc prob felt the wallet shrink.

I must have bad luck when finding doctors. What type of doctors does everyone here use? I'm currently down to zero. Recently got rid of my primary too.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
must have bad luck when finding doctors. What type of doctors does everyone here use? I'm currently down to zero. Recently got rid of my primary too.
That sounds like the typical experience. It's a rarity to find someone reasonable to work with so if you do you are very fortunate. I've had better luck with nurse practitioners actually.
Have you a history of constant migraines?
No.
Like thegiantess I use an online lab service to monitor my prolactin and it's never cost me more than $40 USD and I get the results via email within a few days.

lindsay

That's interesting. When I went to my gynecologist, he ran Prolactin without my even asking (the one good thing he did - but I won't go back to him after my last visit). Then again, I had amenorrhea and he was checking my "menopause" status. And my prolactin was high. Like 25 or 26 I think. I think the endocrinologist I went to ran Prolactin too. Maybe inquire as to your fertility status and they will run it? Or do it yourself - that's probably the less stressful way for sure.

I'm also looking into a new doctor - naturopathic or osteopathic. My mom said they used to have an osteopath and he was much more open to stuff.

XPlus

Angry doc "I'm the head gastroenterologist in this hospital. You don't come to me and tell me what to do. I'm the one who chooses what labs you should do, not you".
Me: "I'm a customer here. I do not expect answers like this from you. If you do not wish to get my labs done, I'll find another doc" and then I left the room.

That was my gastro for 3 years. I waited over 3 hours to hear this answer.
Those guys think they're gods. That's how the culture is set up.
It's good that they get a knock down every once in a while. Reminds them they work in the service industry.

Angry doc "I'm the head gastroenterologist in this hospital. You don't come to me and tell me what to do. I'm the one who chooses what labs you should do, not you".
Me: "I'm a customer here. I do not expect answers like this from you. If you do not wish to get my labs done, I'll find another doc" and then I left the room.

That was my gastro for 3 years. I waited over 3 hours to hear this answer.
Those guys think they're gods. That's how the culture is set up.
It's good that they get a knock down every once in a while. Reminds them they work in the service industry.

Savage

Makrosky

I went the other day to the MD specialized on auditive system (don't know the name in english). He ran a test to discard a physiological damage to the auditive nerve. It was OK. So the conversation went like this : - Ok so what do I do now for my tinnitus? - Well I'm gonna prescribe you one thing and you take it for one month, some patients get healed. -Ok, what if it doesn't work with me? - Then you pray to whomever god you want. - Ok what's the prescription? A drug? A plant? - Why do you care? I'm the one prescribing it. -Well I do want to know what I ingest. - Then you look it on the leaflet that comes with it. - I want to know it before spending the money. - (visibly angry) Then look for it on the internet, ok? Have a good day.

Makrosky

By the way the prescription is for a nutritional supp that has : zinc, magnessium, b-vitamins and.... Melatonin and 5HTP. Lol

PakPik

I think gastroenterologists and MDs in general need a good reality check:
From "Bowel endotoxin part 5" Dr. Ray Peat's Wisdom

40:35 (Peat) The average doctor learns his high school courses very well, then it happens that medical school courses on the elementary cannale and digestive physiology are really just a repeat of what the junior high in highschool textbooks had in. So, doctors get a very superficial picture in nutrition and digestion.

(Caller) So... they are just trained to be drug pushers of modern medical pharmaceutic companies?

(Peat) Yeah... I think that's their basic function. I've been running into more and more fairly famous gastroenterologists who are barely better than the junior high textbooks.

Lilac

My 86-year-old mother wanted to go to the ER this winter. Not to get into elaborate detail, but I didn't think she was really in an ER situation. Anyway, the ER doctor was so angry and frustrated and flustered when I pushed my mother to refuse a CAT scan. The doctor's voice was cracking. ("This is insane!") She was a very petite, very young-looking woman, so maybe she had had issues exerting her authority. I felt a little sorry for her. Unfortunately, she was a big stressor for my mother. Bedside manner, toxic.

Birdie

Not that it works all the time, but if I'd like a lab test done, I try to make it easy for the doc by showing according to usual and customary, that it's reasonable. So, I looked up "diagnosis allowing prolactin test" and got this, from WebMD, as a starter:

Why It Is Done
A test for prolactin is done:

• To find the cause of abnormal nipple discharge, or if a woman is not having periods (amenorrhea) or if a woman is having a hard time becoming pregnant (infertile).
  • In a man when a pituitary gland problem is suspected. Also, a prolactin test may be done to check levels if a man lacks sexual desire or if he has trouble getting an erection (erectile dysfunction). Prolactin levels may be checked when a man's testosterone levels are really low.
  • To see whether a tumor in the pituitary gland (called a prolactinoma) is making large amounts of prolactin.

haidut

Forum Supporter

And after 5-10 of these events most people start to think "So...why not skip the nonsense and just pray?" I think the reason so many people turn to mass religion is they got so many bad experiences with modernity and its promises that never materialize into much. Catholic church membership is skyrocketing, especially among the baby boomers. I wonder why...

Makrosky

And after 5-10 of these events most people start to think "So...why not skip the nonsense and just pray?" I think the reason so many people turn to mass religion is they got so many bad experiences with modernity and its promises that never materialize into much. Catholic church membership is skyrocketing, especially among the baby boomers. I wonder why...

I think there's an inherent space in human beings for trascendence, for the unexpected, for the uncertainity that we don't know anything really no matter how many physics or chemistry papers we read and a space for god. And people wants to know what is death, what is life, what comes after, why there is suffering, why there is joy, what are we here in this planet to do, what is our mission. People need this and they turn to the wrong places to find it, just like people turn to paleo or rawvegan when they want more health. But the desire is legitimate and it is because it's inside us. I find a lot of people embraces science as a new religion.

That is why we're full of illegitimate new age stuff also. Because people is desperately looking for answers.

In the case of the MD who told me to pray to whomever god I want, well, yes, I think what it causes is exactly what they want to avoid : for people to self-medicate, to look on the internet for answers, to turn to alternative therapies which some of them are legit. MD's hate all that but they cause it. Or maybe it's not them. It's the government who tells them you have 5 minutes per patient. Well, at least it's better than nothing. (I'm talking about countries with public health services, USA is a whole different story).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals