Do You Use A Microwave?

Lightbringer

Peat uses a microwave so either he's gotten used to the convenience or perhaps its not dangerous.

michael94

When I have potatoes I cook them like that as well, slice up into little wedges and nuke them...I actually prefer the texture it creates over conventional methods aside from a proper fry.

IIRC the only mark the microwave should leave on your food is from the heat it creates.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I use a microwave but I never heat anything in plastic.

OP
W

welshwing

When I have potatoes I cook them like that as well, slice up into little wedges and nuke them...I actually prefer the texture it creates over conventional methods aside from a proper fry.

IIRC the only mark the microwave should leave on your food is from the heat it creates.
That's very fast, I like the texture too. Does the microwave not remove nutrients as much as boiling does?

Thanks guys

CoolTweetPete

My workplace does and I use it, but I leave the room.

tara

I use a microwave but I never heat anything in plastic.
Me too.
Mostly only for heating, occasionally for a quick-baked spud.
Mine messes with my cordless phone - I assume this means some leakage. Distance is good.

orangedonkey

Does anyone know if microwaving mushrooms really cooks it similar to boiling it and does it cut down time?

OP
W

welshwing

Does anyone know if microwaving mushrooms really cooks it similar to boiling it and does it cut down time?
It cooks them differently, I think microwaving is better than boiling because boiling removes nutrients into the water. It definitely cuts down time, very convenient. I just assumed microwaving was really bad but Ray Peat uses one apparently. I think It's safe as long as you stay a distance away from one when it's in use.

Last edited:

jaywills

Hi WelshWing.

I used to question the safety of microwaves, and having used them for the vast majority of my life, was reluctant to stop using them. This was, purely for convenience and the time that they save as you suggest. I stopped using them and haven't used one in over a year.

My question to you would be why risk them when they are not a necessity and you can cook your foods without them?

A good resource to read:
10 Reasons Why NOT to Use a Microwave

You can use a toaster or grill function on an oven as a infrared oven, it just takes longer than a microwave oven.

orangedonkey

It cooks them differently, I think microwaving is better than boiling because boiling removes nutrients into the water. It definitely cuts down time, very convenient. I just assumed microwaving was really bad but Ray Peat uses one apparently. I think It's safe as long as you stay a distance away from one when it's in use.

How long do you microwave the mushrooms since boiling time is like 3 hours?

tara

I think microwaving is better than boiling because boiling removes nutrients into the water.
Mushroom stock tastes great in soup - as long as you don't throw it away, you don't lose these nutrients.

Lynne

Here's Ray's thoughts on the subject.

How long do you microwave the mushrooms since boiling time is like 3 hours?

I've never been much of a micrawave user but will be staying somewhere soon with only a microwave (no stove/oven) so I'd like to know this too ...

Last edited:

tygertgr

Microwave, Induction Cooktop, pressure cooker are the best cooking systems.

I microwave an egg for lunch almost daily. Hand shred some parmesan, stir shreddings with an egg in a saucer. Nuke for 80 seconds. Scrape from saucer on to white bread toast with with ketchup and mustard.

It's the best. I could eat it forever.