Do You Think The Music You Listen To Has A Significant Impact On Your Overall Well-being?

sweetly

:hattip

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Maybe a reflection of well being...?

OP
sweetly

sweetly

bump

Hugh Johnson

Yes. Emotional states have an effect on the body, ad there is some research, which may be a scam for all I know, that showed music ordering and disordering water.

If the music you listen to causes anger, self-pity or alienation, I'm going to say it could be a negative. Of course, all feelings are valid, you just don't want to spend too much time in some of them.

PeatThemAll

Depends on how you see it impact you. For some, it's cathartic. For others, it's a means to change focus towards a different state.

Personally, it's like dreams, an indicator of some unresolved challenge, a pointer towards things to solve/clarify sooner rather than later.

Ideonaut

the ugly noise instead of music that TPTB push on us from all directions in the media, in stores, etc., surely damages our health.

CoolTweetPete

the ugly noise instead of music that TPTB push on us from all directions in the media, in stores, etc., surely damages our health.

I doubt anyone is attempting to sonically damage our health. It may just be you don't like the music they're playing it and you interpret it this way.

Nighteyes

Some thoughts on music and health/stress/serotonin:

I have always listened to music a lot and wondered exactly what it does to our bodies. What might be the mechanism behind the goosebumps one gets when a really good song comes on? It is always with the slightly more melancolic songs in my experience, and makes me suspect serotonin? Not sure what to make of it. It is a sort of good feeling and yet you know it cannot be sustained, nor is it always pleasant afterwards. Sort of like when you look at old pictures and like seeing a time that is no more and yet you are sad?

Another thing I have been pondering is why we get songs stuck in our minds and I even wrote Dr. Peat to see if he had studied it:

Dear Dr. Peat
I have been wondering for a while now, about why songs get stuck in our head. Is it a defense mechanism when under stress from excitatory substances such as estrogen?
Regards,
Lasse

I think it’s something like that, I don’t know whether anyone has tried to study the person’s situation when it’s happening

Anyone who has anything to add to this? Sometimes I find if I go without music for many days/weeks I feel more balanced. Divulging in all the music I want often leaves me feeling slightly depleted mentally?

Anyway, just rambling, maybe someone can recognize some of this, if not at least I wrote it down.

Greg says

I think the type of music frequency we are attracted to resonates with the frequency going on inside us. I just cannot listen to slow, calming music. I also feel very uncomfortable watching anything in slow motion.

Nighteyes

I think the type of music frequency we are attracted to resonates with the frequency going on inside us. I just cannot listen to slow, calming music. I also feel very uncomfortable watching anything in slow motion.

Interesting indeed. Back in High School I Liked fast stuff and always listened to metal and hard rock. So what might determine The frequency going on inside? Hormonal status affects this no doubt? And The neurotransmitters must be involved. Or did you mean something Else with The word frequency?

Greg says

Interesting indeed. Back in High School I Liked fast stuff and always listened to metal and hard rock. So what might determine The frequency going on inside? Hormonal status affects this no doubt? And The neurotransmitters must be involved. Or did you mean something Else with The word frequency?

Yes, I of mean the frequency of your nervous system. Which, yes, would mean hormones, neurotransmitters. I guess when we are 'adrenalised' we prefer faster, harder music.

On a side note I think night clubs are traumatising. Loud music, darkness, drunk strangers jumping around getting too close in your face, strobe lights, its all low level threat.

My last girlfriend played the Gong and I cannot deny the sound really calmed me.