Do you still get vitamin D on a fully cloudy sky?

I thought so till I just read this.

Attachments

• 20210710_123433.jpg
    20210710_123433.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 83

Happycat

I would say it depends how thick the clouds are.
I once got sunburnt on a cloudy day, being on the beach for a few hours. My understanding is that you start making vit D in the skin at the point when it just begjns to burn, so I think its possible to make vitamin D even when it is a bit cloudy.

Sunburn can be magnified on cloudy days for sure! I got blisters twice in under an hour being on the ocean and on lake on a cloudy day. Being B rays create vitamin D and I don't even know what the A ray does, but I think it is just the UV light itself that causes sunburn like a tanning bed.

Sunburn can be magnified on cloudy days for sure! I got blisters twice in under an hour being on the ocean and on lake on a cloudy day. Being B rays create vitamin D and I don't even know what the A ray does, but I think it is just the UV light itself that causes sunburn like a tanning bed.
I am just speculating.

pauljacob

I thought so till I just read this.
Thank you, R&R, good to know. During the brutal months of Arizona sun, I do stand behind a window for sun exposure, even though I knew the window glass is preventing or filtering something.

Eberhardt

It is perfectly possible to get vitamin D on a cloudy day. As the quote says it reduces it, it does not eliminate it and you do not at all need to get an almost burn. I never have an almost burn and dont get deficient in D due to that as an anecdotal example. Much more important it the angle of the suns rays. The further away from equator the weeker the suns rays during winter (due to angle and refelction) and the less vitamin D. Inner condition is just as important though. The synthesis of vitamin D is among other things dependant on cholesterol. Peat actually recomends rubbing your skin with lanolin (f.ex) as you get older because aging reduces the cholesterol synthesis in the skin making it harder to produce vitamin D and this can be ameliorated by adding a high-cholesterol substane like lanoline to the skin. A healthy metabolism in general will aslo contribute to the production as well as your vitamin A levels as Retinol is an antagonist to vitamin D.

In practice when it comes to the question of clouds, like with all radiation it is time / intensity that makes the difference. Lower intensity rays can be made up for by increased exposure time. And finally Peat has mentioned that if you really need to maximise your vitamin D, it is beneficial not to shower directly after sun-exposure - preferably not washing the exposed skin-ares for at least 12 hours as the production continues for a while and is so close to surface you can actually wash off the vitamin D. I haven seen any research on that but assume he has :) I dont know if it would apply to washing without soap but at least that should be less harmful as I think the solution of the surface fat is crucial in the process and that is mostly removed with soap, but if you want to be sure it cant harm to wait. If you need to shower everyday you can still do it in the morning and be ok

It is perfectly possible to get vitamin D on a cloudy day. As the quote says it reduces it, it does not eliminate it and you do not at all need to get an almost burn. I never have an almost burn and dont get deficient in D due to that as an anecdotal example. Much more important it the angle of the suns rays. The further away from equator the weeker the suns rays during winter (due to angle and refelction) and the less vitamin D. Inner condition is just as important though. The synthesis of vitamin D is among other things dependant on cholesterol. Peat actually recomends rubbing your skin with lanolin (f.ex) as you get older because aging reduces the cholesterol synthesis in the skin making it harder to produce vitamin D and this can be ameliorated by adding a high-cholesterol substane like lanoline to the skin. A healthy metabolism in general will aslo contribute to the production as well as your vitamin A levels as Retinol is an antagonist to vitamin D.

In practice when it comes to the question of clouds, like with all radiation it is time / intensity that makes the difference. Lower intensity rays can be made up for by increased exposure time. And finally Peat has mentioned that if you really need to maximise your vitamin D, it is beneficial not to shower directly after sun-exposure - preferably not washing the exposed skin-ares for at least 12 hours as the production continues for a while and is so close to surface you can actually wash off the vitamin D. I haven seen any research on that but assume he has :) I dont know if it would apply to washing without soap but at least that should be less harmful as I think the solution of the surface fat is crucial in the process and that is mostly removed with soap, but if you want to be sure it cant harm to wait. If you need to shower everyday you can still do it in the morning and be ok
I never use soap after being out on in the sun because I have heard the same thing many years ago. The angle is also why it is harder to get vitamin D in the winter month, the sun neess to be overhead. The lanolin is interesting, as it is high in D isn't it and we can absorb it through our skin? When I get off the forum I am gonna look into that! As always good stuff Eberhardt!

Eberhardt

I never use soap after being out on in the sun because I have heard the same thing many years ago. The angle is also why it is harder to get vitamin D in the winter month, the sun neess to be overhead. The lanolin is interesting, as it is high in D isn't it and we can absorb it through our skin? When I get off the forum I am gonna look into that! As always good stuff Eberhardt!
thanks. no its not full of D but it is full of cholestrol making it easier to make D. I think recommendation is for people in ther 50s and up to smear themselves to ease production he at least said "with age"

Inaut

thanks. no its not full of D but it is full of cholestrol making it easier to make D. I think recommendation is for people in ther 50s and up to smear themselves to ease production he at least said "with age"
When lanolin is exposed to uvb (I think it’s uvb), it becomes vitamin d (I think also). That’s how they make the supps...

Eberhardt

1626035285799.png

From the link above the picture. Yes that is correct. Though that is what makes topical application a must if taking it that way - if not it doesnt go through the correct faces (At least to my best of knowledge - which is at least also partly why peat says to take it topically if taking it preferably. But he also finds the bodys own production to be best and this is a way to bolster it (thats the claim at least). I dont know how the cholesterol contibutes but it is involved in the bodys synthesizing of it as well and is also contained in lanolin and according to Peat absorbable

Here are a couple of interesting clips on the subject.

Attachments

• 20210711_132711.jpg
    20210711_132711.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210711_132944.jpg
    20210711_132944.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 19

Eberhardt

Here are a couple of interesting clips on the subject.
am I recognizing the first one (not the pufa one) of them from somewhere? :) and about timing yeah it depends on where you are. Theres more timing numbers in that article I posted also

am I recognizing the first one (not the pufa one) of them from somewhere? :) and about timing yeah it depends on where you are. Theres more timing numbers in that article I posted also
So much I thought I knew just to find out there is so much more!

Eberhardt

I am excited to know there is so much more to learn, like finding treasure!
I just noticed I dont understand what I post haha It took some time but there is not this protein AND cholesterol . I didnt make the connecdtion the protein in lanolin is 7-DehydroCHOLESTEROL . ,,,

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals