Do You Have Low Thyroid Hormones Because Of Your Genes? (DIO1)

Mito

How It Works
The DIO1 gene encodes an enzyme that converts T4 (thyroxine) to T3 (triiodothyronine), the active thyroid hormone. DIO1 is also involved in the degradation of both T3 and T4. Less DIO1 means less T3 and more T4, resulting in a lower activity of thyroid hormones [R].

DIO1 requires a complex of selenium and cysteine for its optimal function, which makes it a so-called selenoenzyme [R, R, R].

Carriers of the "A" allele on rs2235544 have reduced expression of DIO1 (compared with the “C” allele) and lower activity of thyroid hormones. They may experience the symptoms of hypothyroidism despite the normal, or even slightly elevated T4 levels [R, R].

DIO1 encodes a selenium-dependent enzyme that converts T4 to active T3. The “A” allele on rs2235544 reduces the expression of DIO1, hindering the activation of thyroid hormones.

Do You Have Low Thyroid Hormones Because of Your Genes? (DIO1)

nbznj

Nice.

Just looked at my 23andme’s raw data and I have A,C.

Even though I firmly believe that someone with a subpar thyroid function just needs to eat a bit less that someone with a very active thyroid. Phenotype above genotype

tankasnowgod

How It Works
The DIO1 gene encodes an enzyme that converts T4 (thyroxine) to T3 (triiodothyronine), the active thyroid hormone. DIO1 is also involved in the degradation of both T3 and T4. Less DIO1 means less T3 and more T4, resulting in a lower activity of thyroid hormones [R].

DIO1 requires a complex of selenium and cysteine for its optimal function, which makes it a so-called selenoenzyme [R, R, R].

Carriers of the "A" allele on rs2235544 have reduced expression of DIO1 (compared with the “C” allele) and lower activity of thyroid hormones. They may experience the symptoms of hypothyroidism despite the normal, or even slightly elevated T4 levels [R, R].

DIO1 encodes a selenium-dependent enzyme that converts T4 to active T3. The “A” allele on rs2235544 reduces the expression of DIO1, hindering the activation of thyroid hormones.

Do You Have Low Thyroid Hormones Because of Your Genes? (DIO1)

Nah, I don't think they have any clue what they are talking about.

Although I do appreciate they named a gene after the great Ronny James Dio.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals