Do you guys think Taurine and Glycine use can cause GABA receptors downregulation?

Makrosky

Hey fellas,

I'm using Glycine, Taurine and Lysine at a dose of 3:2:2 grams x day each. More or less. Some days I change the ratios to see what happens. They indeed work.

But I was wondering... Do you think they can down regulate GABA receptors ? Like, they create tolerance or withdrawal or something like that ? Should I worry about this ?

After all GLycine and Taurine seem to agonize GABA receptors, right?

I'm a bit worried about this.

Thanks!

tara

me too

OP
Makrosky

Makrosky

Thanks mama! I'll post the relevant info from that longecity thread you just posted:

Pro downregulation hypothesis:

Pharmacological characterization of GABAA receptors in taurine-fed mice.

L'Amoreaux WJ, Marsillo A, El Idrissi A.

Source
Department of Biology, College of Staten Island, 2800 Victory Blvd, Staten Island, NY 10314, USA. [email protected]

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Taurine is one of the most abundant free amino acids especially in excitable tissues, with wide physiological actions. Chronic supplementation of taurine in drinking water to mice increases brain excitability mainly through alterations in the inhibitory GABAergic system. These changes include elevated expression level of glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD) and increased levels of GABA. Additionally we reported that GABAA receptors were down regulated with chronic administration of taurine. Here, we investigated pharmacologically the functional significance of decreased / or change in subunit composition of the GABAA receptors by determining the threshold for picrotoxin-induced seizures. Picrotoxin, an antagonist of GABAA receptors that blocks the channels while in the open state, binds within the pore of the channel between the beta2 and beta3 subunits. These are the same subunits to which GABA and presumably taurine binds.

Against downregulation hypothesis:
Taurine actually changes the concentrations of both glutamate and GABA by acting on the precursors glutamine and alanine.

The finding that taurine binds to GABA receptors in the thalamus of rats, does not prove agonist. It could be a Pam, antagonist, inverse agonist, or act as a necessary cOmolecule

THOUGHTS???

Gl;itch.e

if its from food I wouldn't worry about it. If its from supplements in higher doses its probably something that should be used on and off. If you notice that some supplements work really well initially and then start to wear off you should probably drop them for a bit to resensitize yourself to them.

ilovewriting

Gl;itch.e said:
post 102076 if its from food I wouldn't worry about it. If its from supplements in higher doses its probably something that should be used on and off. If you notice that some supplements work really well initially and then start to wear off you should probably drop them for a bit to resensitize yourself to them.
Agree, I choose foods that limit the amino acids methionine, cysteine and tryptophan, by using cheese with the whey drained off, along with collagen hydrolysate at 33 grams spread though the day, and 33 grams at bedtime (and intermittent liver and shellfish).

But I'm trying to decrease body (and visceral) fat, not to build muscle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsifal

ilovewriting said:
post 102090
Gl;itch.e said:
post 102076 if its from food I wouldn't worry about it. If its from supplements in higher doses its probably something that should be used on and off. If you notice that some supplements work really well initially and then start to wear off you should probably drop them for a bit to resensitize yourself to them.
Agree, I choose foods that limit the amino acids methionine, cysteine and tryptophan, by using cheese with the whey drained off, along with collagen hydrolysate at 33 grams spread though the day, and 33 grams at bedtime (and intermittent liver and shellfish).

Do all cheese have the whey drained off? Does the collagen contain all the essential amino acids?

tara

thyrulian

I would reliably become more sensitive to caffeine the morning after consuming some homemade jello.

ilovewriting

Parsifal said:
post 103144
ilovewriting said:
post 102090
Gl;itch.e said:

Do all cheese have the whey drained off? Does the collagen contain all the essential amino acids?
I think not all cheese, but cottage cheese and farmer's cheese typically have much of the whey strained off, while the common ricotta cheese is made from the whey.

I make a kefir cheese and carefully strain all the whey off myself.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... fir+cheese

I think "essential amino acids" may depend on your age or activity level. As I understand Peaty context, since I am nearly sixty years old and sedentary, more than a trace of tryptophan may be poison to me but not to a growing child.

For me, collagen hydrolysate is very low in the amino acids methionine, cysteine and tryptophan, and readily absorbed in the small intestine, thereby avoiding the harmful effects of being converted into the poison of ammonia by proliferating bacteria in the large intestine.

I know this is old, but I am not a fan of this pseudoscience. There is no evidence that avoiding anything that interacts with GABA receptors is going to heal you. Your own allopregnanolone, which is in your brain at all times, is stronger than almost any pharmaceutical (and doesn't "break" your brain). There is good evidence that allopregnanolone and progesterone can help to heal the brain, and no evidence that any of the plants mentioned will cause harm (e.g. camomille, skull cap, etc). The only thing that will break the brain is more chemicals (e.g. benzos) or excessive use of certain natural compounds (e.g. alcohol). If we avoided lists like these, and started compiling things that really heal the brain, then maybe we will get somewhere. I am still injured but healing with high dose progesterone. It was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. I don't blame you at all for posting this, just read it and wasn't a fan!

dukesbobby777

I know this is old, but I am not a fan of this pseudoscience. There is no evidence that avoiding anything that interacts with GABA receptors is going to heal you. Your own allopregnanolone, which is in your brain at all times, is stronger than almost any pharmaceutical (and doesn't "break" your brain). There is good evidence that allopregnanolone and progesterone can help to heal the brain, and no evidence that any of the plants mentioned will cause harm (e.g. camomille, skull cap, etc). The only thing that will break the brain is more chemicals (e.g. benzos) or excessive use of certain natural compounds (e.g. alcohol). If we avoided lists like these, and started compiling things that really heal the brain, then maybe we will get somewhere. I am still injured but healing with high dose progesterone. It was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. I don't blame you at all for posting this, just read it and wasn't a fan!

Yeah I wasn’t advocating anything from that post. It’s just some guy who has a theory, wherr he links studies showing that the compounds on his list might have adverse effects (if chronically used). Personally, I don’t notice any rebound effects from long term usage (and then stopping) of taurine, or many of the compounds that he mentions. Pharmaceutical GABA agents are a different story though, as they are much more potent.

Frankdee20

Taurine is not a direct agonist per se, but has a similar function and can lessen the workload of endogenous GABA.