Do You Get Over The Fruit/Orange Juice Blood Sugar Spike?

leo

For most of the people who have been eating this way for a long time....have your blood sugar levels or insulin gone up? Were they low/normal to begin with?

On low carb both of these were low/normal for me and now have gone up. Does this settle down eventually? How long?

HDD

Leo, I have blood sugar issues from time to time. I came upon this site and thought I might try her drink.
"To help alleviate blood sugar UPS and DOWNS, I usually suggest to my clients to eat anywhere from 6-8 small meals/day…The problem is most of my clients are incredibly busy throughout the day, making eating 6-8 meals/day fairly challenging. For those that may only be able to eat 3 meals in a day, I have them sip on my hydrating miracle beverage between meals. Sipping on my hydrating drink can be very helpful to keeping their blood sugar stable, avoiding energy UPS and DOWNS. Regulating your blood sugar is vital for helping anyone who wants to lose weight, improve energy and heal a damaged metabolism."

Kate’s Miracle Hydrating Beverage
(Great for drinking in between meals, pre-workout, during workout and post workout).
Ingredients:
6 oz. Pulp free Organic Orange Juice
2 oz. Organic pulp free Coconut water (optional)
2 tbsp. Hydrolyzed gelatin protein *Start with 1 tbsp. and work yourself up to two.
1/8 tsp. of white sea salt (you can add more if needed)
Ice
6-10 oz. carbonated (C02) or filtered water (whatever fills up bottle)

Directions:
Add OJ, coconut water, salt, and gelatin to a 20 oz. bottle. Shake or blend together well.
Add ice and shake. DO NOT blend.
Lastly, add C02 water or filtered water. Shake bottle lightly or the C02 water will make the drink fizz over.
*Sip throughout the day, and/or while working out. This drink is NOT meant to be gulped or slammed down in a 2 minute sitting. Sip SLOWLY! Please note the coconut water is optional when it comes to making this drink. Some of my clients love it, while others could live without it. If you choose to remove the coconut water you may add in 2 more oz. of pulp free orange juice.

http://katedeering.com/archives/1514

OP
L

leo

HDDiane: thank you for that. I am going to try it tomorrow and see. I never feel like I have blood sugar ups or downs, but lab tests showed higher levels.

I like this lady's site....it is Peat stuff but in language I can understand lol! Plan to do a lot of reading there....so thanks.

I feel a spike when I drink OJ. I feel a spike in blood sugar. Do you get over this after awhile?

I also feel a strong urge to eat sugar after this.

I'm drinking it with a protein meal. Maybe not waiting long enough afterwards.

Any tips appreciated.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
You could also try adding collagen hydrolysate to your OJ.

michael94

Some people can have problem with large amount of vitamin C in OJ among other things, I like a bit more apple juice + dates in my diet and the OJ to a glass or two daily.

jyb

You can test your hypothesis with some glucose test strips from store to know more precisely what's happening with your blood sugar during the day. Those are usually used by diabetics, but anyone can buy them. Quite easy to use and instructive, if not fun.

Velve921

What are your symptoms of low blood sugar? TEmpty/pulse before and after consuming juice?

Ewlevy1 said:
post 117604 What are your symptoms of low blood sugar? TEmpty/pulse before and after consuming juice?

Extreme sugar cravings.

jyb said:
post 117603 You can test your hypothesis with some glucose test strips from store to know more precisely what's happening with your blood sugar during the day. Those are usually used by diabetics, but anyone can buy them. Quite easy to use and instructive, if not fun.

Good idea, thanks. I will imvestigate. You need to prick your finger for this right?

Last edited by a moderator:

jyb

I also feel a strong urge to eat sugar after this..

I usually interpret a "strong urge" as a severe stress. If the urge is caused by a food, I make sure to avoid it and favour something that leaves me stable. Of all symptoms, a severe urge is in my opinion the easiest one to interpret to know if something is good or bad: you clearly know where it comes from if it follows a meal, and intuitively it is ominous because you're fighting for survival. If I'm eating something decent, I would expect to *never* experience some kind of urge (day or night), a sign that the energy provided actually fulfils the metabolic needs. However, getting trapped into a cycle of periodic urges can go on forever if the diet is not providing anything that is needed, unless you are metabolically flexible (which is the case of most healthy people, who do not need to be as careful about what they eat to feel normal).

Last edited:

Peater Piper

You can test your hypothesis with some glucose test strips from store to know more precisely what's happening with your blood sugar during the day. Those are usually used by diabetics, but anyone can buy them. Quite easy to use and instructive, if not fun.
Indeed. What I've learned through testing my blood sugar, is that my perception of where my blood sugar's at based on physical symptoms is pretty much worthless. I've felt great at 70 all the way up to 150. I've also felt weak, light-headed, and ravenous with glucose numbers ranging from 70 to 150. Others may have a more accurate feel of where their blood glucose is at, but in my case the symptoms I associated with hypoglycemia seem to be tied to something else.

jyb

Indeed. What I've learned through testing my blood sugar, is that my perception of where my blood sugar's at based on physical symptoms is pretty much worthless. I've felt great at 70 all the way up to 150. I've also felt weak, light-headed, and ravenous with glucose numbers ranging from 70 to 150. Others may have a more accurate feel of where their blood glucose is at, but in my case the symptoms I associated with hypoglycemia seem to be tied to something else.

I don't associate lightheadedness with actual low blood sugar either, I do think it is due to an imperfect metabolism where the energy available comes suddenly missing after a failure from some channels to take over and smoothly fulfil demand throughout the day. Although I see this as a sign that metabolism is broken and there seems to be few ways to improve it, I take comfort in thinking that I am able to at least prevent it during most of the day and at night on a workday scenario grazing on 2 or 3 suitably chosen meals/day (3 is probably my ideal and can reliably abolish any such weakness on a weekend) which is considerable improvement over what I was used to and gets me closer to having the freedom, mood and brainpower of a healthy individual.

Last edited: