Do You Eat Like A Weirdo In Front Of Family/friends?

Herbie

@Herbie :lol:

Right, it's the only way. Live as a recluse on a mountaintop.

googlecartoon.jpg

If everyone looks closely enough, that mountain is in Mexico and I can just make out Dannys house in the distance.

Aries

@Arnold Grape I guess that cooking at home is time-expensive, irrespective of the kind of diet you're on.
If you have depression, cooking and food prep is so, so hard.
I agree it's the hardest part of eating a diet. Peating also has some special quirks that make it harder.

Cooking some pasta+sauce or chicken+rice+broccoli to plastic containers is fast and more efficient for the storage space. Tubers take peeling, longer time to boil and get burned more easily if not simmered etc. Glass and metal containers don't use the fridge space as efficiently and with high calories the fridge space is often limited in the first place. Reheating also increases resistant starch but meal prep is still the only way I see possible to eat 3000+kcals of homecooked meals. Juice and milk obviously take less prepping but still lot of carrying from the store and fridge space.

Personally the appeal to slip from the diet comes more from convenience and not from cravings towards restricted foods. Unfortunately it takes a lot of effort to always have ready homecooked meals at hand. If you have enough fridge space to prep for half a week or so prepping would still take probably two almost entire nights at least if you use tubers over rice and pasta. Cooking daily takes well over an hour of my time. Of course it's not a problem if you like cooking but I can think of so many other things I'd rather be doing for that time.

boris

Reheating potatoes or rice. Would it take 40 minutes again to break down the resistant starch and make it safe?

sladerunner69

No I mean just tell your parents that vegetable oil is not good for them and that olive oil or coconut oil or butter/ghee is better so that they don't use PUFAs while cooking in the future. Isn't pasta supposed to be made with olive oil anyway?

Yes this is the main stipulation I have made clear with my family. I won't eat anything made with vegetable oil and Ive held that position firmly for years now. When I go over to nonna's she will use butter and olive oil (although she refuses to touch coconut oil because Dr OZ her it is high in saturated fat...)

shine

Doesn't that require a lot of commitment and sacrificing social life?

Commitment? I don't know about that. I've been doing meal prep for years and don't really think about it. It is just something I do daily. I'll just cook my white rice, zucchini and beef/deer/chicken and fill it in containers, so I have my meals ready for the day. Throughout the day I also drink a liter of goat milk, eat some goat cheese and some fruit.
Wherever I go I'll have my meal prep containers with me. Doesn't matter if it's work or a birthday party or visiting friends. I'll eat my meat and rice. Quite simple really.

shine

@Arnold Grape I guess that cooking at home is time-expensive, irrespective of the kind of diet you're on.
If you have depression, cooking and food prep is so, so hard.

I managed to cook a lot during my 3 years of CFS (mostly bedridden). I would put everything I needed to prepare food on a tray, go back to bed and slowly cut all the vegetables, potatoes and meat or whatever I was cooking while sitting upright in bed with the tray on my lap. I would slowly carry it back to the kitchen, put everything in pans/pots and lie down near the hotplate because I couldn't manage to stand up for more than 5 minutes. I also had a folding chair near the hotplate that I could sit on while stirring the pan. When everything was finished I'd go back to bed and eat.

Dobbler

with mom and dad, no problem i don't eat their food and eat like lunatic they dont care
other family , when we meet its always some fancy restaurant few times a year so then i have to eat those foods
friends/coworkers , now this would be really hard, ill let you know when i get either of those ...

Amazoniac

Why not just tell them that PUFA is bad for you?
Are you trying to incite family conflicts?
I did and they don't seem to care. I don't think they really understand all the things it does. I used to send them all e-mails where I would lay out the information and provide studies, etc. but even that didn't work. I think some people need to become interested in something on their own, instead of being shown or taught it, for it to really click.
It's like the shark sign on the beach: people know what it means but some don't care for believing that they don't have to, it can't happen to them, and the warning friends are ignored.

I also think that being careless preserves intuition, doubt leaves the person temporarily lost before redefining fundamentals, the unknown can be scary and tends to be avoided. There's no turning back once you start questioning, knowing nothing is easier on peace of mind than stopping an investigation too early.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals