Do You Eat Like A Weirdo In Front Of Family/friends?

Pufa

Do you eat your mommas cooking when you go over.. pufas gluten and all? or do you let them think your a weirdo and only drink milk and oj mixed with gelatin and taurine at dinner?

mbachiu

I try to eat as much as my momma cooks, but I’ve always eaten a bit like a weirdo, so now she’s used to it.

I love the title of this thread so much lol

boris

Nope, I eat my cheese and fruit like a human :lol:. They are the weirdos forcing down legumes and eating protein without adequate carbohydrate and then lying down on the sofa afterwards being tired and freezing.

OP
P

Pufa

I try to eat as much as my momma cooks, but I’ve always eaten a bit like a weirdo, so now she’s used to it.

I love the title of this thread so much lol

That's cool.. I realized how much it hurts their feelings when i refuse home cooked meals when I visit.
So I eat clean rest of the time and feel like I can afford cheat meals when in family or social settings

Noodlz2

I used to eat like a weirdo, but my parents Peat now too. My sibling thinks we're all weird.

OP
P

Pufa

Andrew weil writes about eating food cooked with love in strong social settings = health food.

lampofred

Why not just tell them that PUFA is bad for you?

OP
P

Pufa

Pufas are easier to avoid but if your family makes home made pasta from scratch and you say no its insulting to them. I'd rather cheat once in a while than upset my family that has a tradition. Also maybe your on a date and she wants to have a drink and share some cake with you.. these are moments when I think we come off as weirdos if were strict 100% peat

lampofred

Pufas are easier to avoid but if your family makes home made pasta from scratch and you say no its insulting to them. I'd rather cheat once in a while than upset my family that has a tradition. Also maybe your on a date and she wants to have a drink and share some cake with you.. these are moments when I think we come off as weirdos if were strict 100% peat

No I mean just tell your parents that vegetable oil is not good for them and that olive oil or coconut oil or butter/ghee is better so that they don't use PUFAs while cooking in the future. Isn't pasta supposed to be made with olive oil anyway?

bumtrash

A little bit of both I think. I try to pick the best of what's available and exclude anything too horrible or pufa laden if possible. Slice of pizza, pasta, grandma's famous casserole? Sure, live a little. I’m pretty much always skipping anything fried in pufa. If I feel my general health is below baseline, I’ll be more strict. As others have said, the experience of eating and enjoying time with family/friends is important and probably offsets some of the negatives of suboptimal food.

OP
P

Pufa

No I mean just tell your parents that vegetable oil is not good for them and that olive oil or coconut oil or butter/ghee is better so that they don't use PUFAs while cooking in the future. Isn't pasta supposed to be made with olive oil anyway?

I have.. and they listen on some things but def not on grains, it's too strong culturally to change.
Pasta is not a peat approved food even if made with olive oil.
I love peat lifestyle a lot, but I draw the line if it involves family gatherings or dating/getting laid.

Gone Peating

I don't see why pasta would not be Peat-approved as long as it doesn't irritate your gut. Peat has never said that anyone shouldn't eat grains, he just doesn't.

His main issue with bread/grains is the iron-enrichment factor

boris

Gluten too. As far as I know he says over the long run it will cause gut problems.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes, I’m about to turn 50 so I eat whatever way I need to in order to feel my best regardless of what anyone thinks about it. I spent too long feeling sick in an effort to be polite.

Zigzag

I had a talk with my mom about that. I visit my parents like once a month and well, can't change their mind about their shitty diet full of PUFAs. I consider weekends at home to be my cheat days so that I don't look like a complete idiot who won't eat with his family. Other than that I eat only stuff I want, evne if it means looking weird in social settings.

ExCarniv

only drink milk and oj mixed with gelatin and taurine at dinner?

Peat never said "eat only OJ and milk" he said supplement your diet with those to supply enough sugar and nutrients.

Having a dinner of milk and OJ only is just idiotic and unnatural.

A meal of pasta won't kill you, the only thing I refuse like a plague is fried/deep fried foods.

Actually my parents dropped all seed oils and cook with olive oil and butter.

schultz

Do you eat your mommas cooking when you go over.. pufas gluten and all? or do you let them think your a weirdo and only drink milk and oj mixed with gelatin and taurine at dinner?

My mom is the wierdo in the family when it comes to fad dieting. She is currently carnivore.... She does take thyroid though. She uses ghee for cooking mainly (the insanely expensive one where the cows have been pasture raised) and I think palm shortening for baked goods. Historically she used butter and we never had margarine in the house. I didn't even know what margarine was when I was a kid until someone gave me toast with margarine on it and I was like "This butter tastes weird...". My mom has been gluten-free for like 8 years now I think and went so far as to throw out all her old cooking pots, pans, etc. that had been used to cook things with flour in them.

The one thing she does is cook with fatty chicken and pork, and so I usually just eat a little bit. The whole family knows I avoid PUFA and they tease me for it a bit (I don't know why as at the very least they are a precursor to inflammatory prostaglandins and leukotrienes. It doesn't take a genius to figure out those are problematic.) My whole family is a bit weird though and all of us have been known to try different diets from time to time, except my father who just eats what my mom makes for him.

I did and they don't seem to care. I don't think they really understand all the things it does. I used to send them all e-mails where I would lay out the information and provide studies, etc. but even that didn't work. I think some people need to become interested in something on their own, instead of being shown or taught it, for it to really click.

OP
P

Pufa

Yes, I’m about to turn 50 so I eat whatever way I need to in order to feel my best regardless of what anyone thinks about it. I spent too long feeling sick in an effort to be polite.

I agree with you.. some people here were very sick and needed healing, no need to make exceptions if it's about major issues

OP
P

Pufa

I had a talk with my mom about that. I visit my parents like once a month and well, can't change their mind about their shitty diet full of PUFAs. I consider weekends at home to be my cheat days so that I don't look like a complete idiot who won't eat with his family. Other than that I eat only stuff I want, evne if it means looking weird in social settings.

That's cool you look out for their feelings, in some cultures food is a top priority. Like blossom said though, shes 50 and used to be very sick, in that case my suggestion isnt valid.
But if you came here from roddys hair stuff and now cant enjoy occasional food with friends or family or a little alcohol on a date, that's taking it too far imo.
I think the beneits of strong social bonding, or hooking up on your date far outweigh eating strict that day.
Why not just be super strict all week then once or twice a week live a little and have an indulgent cheat meal?