do you also keep your digital thermometer under armpit for awhile before turning it on?

FitnessMike

I got a good digital thermometer (Geratherm Clinic) and i don't know if I was fooling my self with my low temps, since yesterday i started to leave it in the area for few minutes and then turning it on, this way my temps can increase from 35.5 C (without holding) to 36.4 C first thing in the morning.

Last edited:

yerrag

yes. the one minute beep on mine is a sign to hold on for 11 more minutes lol

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

yes. the one minute beep on mine is a sign to hold on for 11 more minutes lol
So without holding it prior to turning it on, you would have way lower temps as well?

MidBicep

I think armpit temperature can be the most inconsistent way of measuring. For example on the first measurement I got 35.7 and the second time that I placed it closer to my chest than my back I got 36.1
Mouth or rectal temperature are probably more accurate but also way less convenient. Ear measurement is probably the best of both worlds but also a bit more expensive.
I still measure armpits, I just measure multiple times at a time and I feel warm and comfy but my temp is low I don't really stress about it, I eat whatever food I might be craving and it might rise a bit.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

I think armpit temperature can be the most inconsistent way of measuring. For example on the first measurement I got 35.7 and the second time that I placed it closer to my chest than my back I got 36.1
Mouth or rectal temperature are probably more accurate but also way less convenient. Ear measurement is probably the best of both worlds but also a bit more expensive.
I still measure armpits, I just measure multiple times at a time and I feel warm and comfy but my temp is low I don't really stress about it, I eat whatever food I might be craving and it might rise a bit.
i got this braunc ear one and i can tell it is shi** , temperature is super high and inconsistent as well, also one ear is entirely different to the other, holding thermometer under armpit for few minutes seems to give me very similar readings as well as higher than when i hold it for when it starts beeping

MidBicep

i got this braunc ear one and i can tell it is shi** , temperature is super high and inconsistent as well, also one ear is entirely different to the other, holding thermometer under armpit for few minutes seems to give me very similar readings as well as higher than when i hold it for when it starts beeping
My right armpit is always 0.4~ C warmer than left. I just measure left because that's what makes the most sense since that's where the heart is. Also there's a chart, Google it, that says the ear temperature ranges in higher numbers than armpit.

yerrag

So without holding it prior to turning it on, you would have way lower temps as well?
I wasn't holding it prior to turning it on, it just warms up to the body temp in about 12 minutes, but it depends on the make of thermometer. The el cheapo model I have takes 12 minutes, whereas the omron brand I got takes 6 minutes. And armpit temp is 0.5C lower than oral temps.

yerrag

I got a braun ear thermometer as well. The ear thermometer has to be pointed towards the ear canal, and I have to know how far from the ear canal it has to be placed. When I measure, I have to be consistently at this distance. To know this distance, I first measure my temps with the armpit/oral thermometer, and then I find the distance from the ear canal that gets me this temperature. That's how I calibrate my ear thermometer, by using my armpit/oral thermometer as the standard.

It's convenient to use the ear thermometer. Just need to get used to how you position the ear thermometer. Saves a lot of time.

BearWithMe

Have you tried contactless infrared thermometers that takes the temperature of the forehead?

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

Have you tried contactless infrared thermometers that takes the temperature of the forehead?
it's all good now, seems like my temps are good since i hold thermometer for few minutes and then turn it on, morning underarm temp 36.4-36.6 and later in afternoon 36.6, looks that my temps are decent

yerrag

I don't think this kind of thermometer work well. They seem to give temps that are too low and are practically useless.

BearWithMe

I don't think this kind of thermometer work well. They seem to give temps that are too low and are practically useless.
Have you actually tried it? These thermometers are de facto standard in European hospitals for past 10 years and are also used in industrial applications where absolute precision is necessary.

yerrag

Have you actually tried it? These thermometers are de facto standard in European hospitals for past 10 years and are also used in industrial applications where absolute precision is necessary.
Are they the same ones used by establishments to check our temperature because of COVID. I always get temps ranging from 35.5 to 36.3, when my actual temp, as measured by a regular armpit thermometer, is 37C.

Are the hospital staff concerned about accuracy in the readings or just concerned about having fever temperatures? It seems these hospital are concerned just about the latter. They don't care about people have low temps as they're not concerned about hypothyroidism. This is how the doctors and nurses do things in the US and in the Phils. I have no doubt it is pretty standard how they think and act.

Now, the question I have for you is have you compared the readings taken of your temps in your standard European hospital with your own temperature readings taken correctly using a regular armpit thermometer?

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

I can confirm that the pistol type of thermometer for the forehead is extremely inaccurate, but maybe you talk about some other

I do oral. The only time it is inaccurate is upon waking up when the room has been cold. Or when coming in from the cold outdoors. Otherwise it is easy and works fine. I can track my temps without taking it first thing in the morning anyway.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals